• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Alprazolam daily dose - concerns

Scottc

Greenlighter
Hey so I had a crisis in Feb. I run a business and had had increasing anxiety thru the year. I did an ayahuasca ceremony that went badly and afterwards my anxiety exploded to crisis level. I couldn’t sleep. Was barely functioning during the day and the only thing that would help was xanax/alprazolam. I weigh 240 lbs so a single dose doesn’t do much. I run a business and am attempting to step out because of the health issues but it’s not easy or quick to unwind. I’m seeing therapists, integration therapists, yoga, meditation, etc.

I saw a psychiatrist who put me on 1 - 2 mg of daily klonopin which feels like it literally doesn’t nothing. And a alprazolam subscription (1 mg) which I blew through because i was taking 3-4 at the time (this had escalated over about 6 weeks). I don’t know if it my body weight, stress or metabolism, but the alprazolam dose escalates like crazy. He cut off my alprazolam subscription and thoguht klonopin would work instead. Then business seemed to be doing better which was helping a ton with stress and anxiety. It turned out it wasn’t when we got the July numbers. So I was off Alprazaa for about 2-3 weeks. After finding out biz wasn’t going well again, stress exploded, crisis returned and now I’m back to where i was. The Alprazolam causes insomnia but I’ve tried ativan which doesn’t have the same insomnia effect, but concerned if I can just switch.

I’m looking to step out of the business in the next couple of weeks for health reasons. I’m up to 6-7 alprazam a day (started taking first dose in feb). Still on the klonopin which I’m still convinced does nothing, but psychiatrist insists it’s effectictive. High anxiety levels and if I don’t take Alprazam will have a panic attack.

Question is, is this a crazy level of alprazam to take dialy (6-8 mg per day)? Can I taper of reasonably in a couple weeks after rolling back my job? Can I switch to Ativan as it doesn’t cause as bad insomnia? Any concerns about switching? The alprazolam didn’t really pleasant anymore I get side effects and when it works it just removes anxiety but makes me feel physically and mentally medicated whereas at lower doses I didn’t experience that.

Last edited:
When you say 6-7 Alprazolam a day; are you referring to the 2MG "bars"? You stated you are no longer prescribed the Xanax so can I assume these are off the street? Nobody can tell you how much is in those pills, if any. If they are scripted, 14MG of Alprazolam is definitely a lot. It sounds like your weight doesn't have as much to do with it as your tolerance.

I was on Alprazolam for years and can genuinely say Clonazepam beats it by a mile. You are stressed which is General Anxiety and for that the Clonazepam should work amazing. It helps my PTSD greatly. For panic attacks, like actual panic attacks where you can't breathe and become faint, take the Clonazepam sublingually. Alprazolam has a faster onset but it has such a short life-span. Your 7 Xanax can easily be replaced by 2 Klonopins.

I am not here to judge at all, but if this is not recreational at all, I recommend completely dropping the Alpraz since you are not prescribed that anymore, and sticking to the Clonaz. You have built up quite a tolerance but 4MG of Clonazepam has had me steady for 12 years and I was on 10MG of Alprazolam before this. Again, for panic attacks take it sublingually, but for general anxiety an oral dose of Clonazepam should help you for minimally 6 hours if not longer. Stop convincing yourself they do nothing, you are stressing yourself out and causing more anxiety. They do work you just need to give them a chance. If you are seeking that immediate relief from a panic attack, nothing will match Xanax but Klonopin sublingually comes damn close

those doses are crazy. you really having panic attacks? if not, i think ativan and valium are both better for stress than klonipin and xanax. but xanax is usually the go to for panic attacks.

would be helpful to find another outlet for the stress, in addition to the benzos. workout like crazy any free moment you have, and you do or can have free moments.

I found a course and had it tested by legit lab. they don’t measure the amount but it alzapram for sure. i’ll give klonopin a better shot. did you have issues transferring from xanax?

the individual does are 1 mg. and yes amount has me concerned. i’ve been at a baseline anxiety of 3-4 out of 5 for the last 6 months with the occasional panic attack. hence of the dose. also my body seems to adapt and tolerate super quickly and I wonder if weight is a factor because 1 mg never did much for me. working on integrating lifestyle like yoga etc to lower anxiety. thank you!!

The amounts are seriously too high. Did the ayahuasca cause some sort of identity crisis over your actions or something? That would be fairly normal in this days age and day I think.
Also you need to seriously find some creative way to deal with your anxiety issues, especially since the benzos do not seem to be working. Also, do you drink alcohol?

The amounts are seriously too high. Did the ayahuasca cause some sort of identity crisis over your actions or something? That would be fairly normal in this days age and day I think.
Also you need to seriously find some creative way to deal with your anxiety issues, especially since the benzos do not seem to be working. Also, do you drink alcohol?
The ayahuasca spurned massive anxiety. iT was a an awful experience with no insight. It just left me with a crisis level anxiety . I don’t drink alcohol.