Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Alone or accompanied

Doclad

Bluelighter
Hello Bluelighters.

I have always taken psychedelics with other people and I have enjoyed the moments we have shared, but now I feel the need to make a solo trip since I want to deepen in myself without the influence of other people.
In some way I need to mature in that direction.
At the end of summer I intend to go to the Catalan Pyrenees, rent an apartment in the mountains for two days and take a psychedelic.

I am curious to know what is your opinion about the differences between traveling alone or accompanied.

DocLad

Sounds like a great idea, as long as you don't have to deal with people you don't know showing up unexpectedly. Maybe have some benzos on hand.

best wishes always

pb

Thanks for the answers. I wanted to know what your experience has been, taking psychedelics alone or accompanied, although differences are subjective or not.

DocLad

I know, Pupnik.

Taking into account the answers I have received so far, I think that I have not adequately formulated my question, or that I am being a bit of an idiot by opening this thread. I wanted to know if someone has noticed differences when traveling alone, for example, if you focus your mind on different things or if the trip has different nuances.
I did not intend to receive advice, I was just curious to hear your experiences.

I have to use the translator and it seems to me that language is a barrier in this sense, I believe that the tone that you receive from my message is not what I wanted to express.

DocLad

If you trip with others, this is a strong influence on the setting:

Another person is something that will ask for your attention. You will direct attention towards it, try to understand the other's thoughts etc.

I think low and mid doses can be very good time spent with close friends and interesting people.

High doses, however, are best taken alone or with an experience sitter (experienced as in: He or She knows when to shut the fuck up and not direct your attention).

Differences alone vs in company

Alone:
* You can do what you want. This will be *easier*. Less complicated. No compromises necesarry.
* Gets deeper, more easily
* More introspective
* Great to get to know yourself
* Great for introspection
* Great for appreciation of music

Together:
* Introspection not really possible
* On high doses: Productive Interaction not possible anymore, interaction will increase confusion. IMO: Waste of time
* Mid / Low doses: Great to get to know people in a different way. Great for having fun.
* Social interaction is something that "grounds" you. Social interaction on psychedelics is surely changed (uncommon words, language appears very associative, etc). But in some way, language is only working in more or less that way, as it works in everyday life. If you are alone, you can get rid of coherent language or ignore it.

If I had to choose, between only alone tripping or only in company:
Definitely alone for me.

It is only you, your ideas, and your interaction with whatever the substance does to you.

Both tripping solo and tripping in groups can result in great learning experiences. I would further differentiate between tripping in a social environment where most everyone else is also tripping, or one where everyone else is "merely" drunk / stoned / doing uppers and you are basically the only one doing a classical psychedelic.

They all give you different opportunities to observe your own behavior and/or that of others.

There are, of course, differences in that solo-tripping (that includes solo-tripping with a sober tripsitter) may allow you to go for higher doses or more challenging substances, because you probably don't want to freak out your non-tripping friends by getting stuck in a thought loop on 400 micrograms of acid.

I really want to take psychedelic drugs alone, my feeling is that the experience will be quite different, since we often take psychedelics in my house and I have some responsibility as host that does not allow me to free myself completely.
I suppose the internal language will increase by not paying attention to other people and I will be able to enjoy other aspects new to me.

Differences alone vs in company

Alone:
* You can do what you want. This will be *easier*. Less complicated. No compromises necesarry.
* Gets deeper, more easily
* More introspective
* Great to get to know yourself
* Great for introspection
* Great for appreciation of music

Together:
* Introspection not really possible
* On high doses: Productive Interaction not possible anymore, interaction will increase confusion. IMO: Waste of time
* Mid / Low doses: Great to get to know people in a different way. Great for having fun.
* Social interaction is something that "grounds" you. Social interaction on psychedelics is surely changed (uncommon words, language appears very associative, etc). But in some way, language is only working in more or less that way, as it works in everyday life. If you are alone, you can get rid of coherent language or ignore it.

Thank you for investing your time to make such a precise description.

DocLad

There are pros and cons to both. Maybe try a shorter acting drug alone first, like psilocybin or 2C-B to make sure you are okay with it? Then go for LSD if the first trip goes okay. I have done AL-LAD, DMT, Psilocybin, 2C-E alone several times. It is nice to be able to listen to the music of your choice and not have to worry about anyone else.

But I also like to trip with a few people, so we can go into our selves if we wish, or socialize for a few minutes if we want as well.

We always liked to have a few places to trip within the general venue, so that anyone who wishes to be alone can do so with out feeling like a weirdo, and people that want to hang out can with out disturbing others.

I used to almost exclusively trip alone, years ago, because I didn't have any friends who tripped much at the time. I find that when tripping alone, you go inward much further, because you're not spending any energy or focus on connecting with your companions. I find that in general it's easier to get comfortable, and most of the most profoundly spiritual trips I've had have been when I was alone. However, if something goes wrong, there's no one else there, which is something to consider. If you're experienced, though, I wouldn't really worry about that.

The big difference is that when you're alone, you will go deeper into your thoughts. I really like listening to music with my eyes closed the best when I'm alone.

I agree with Xorkoth 100%...also have always wanted to say that when trying a new substance I always look for your reports on erowid.

I'm in that phase where I trip alone...I do prefer it but I also don't have any friends that trip. The one thing that really sticks out to me about being alone is paranoia during certain parts, the lulls of it.
It's not bad paranoia it's just that I find myself scared of having a bad trip because I know I'm alone. It's like my mind just randomly injects a bad thought into the experience. It's always quick, it comes - I dwell on it for two or three minutes which creates a general negative atmosphere in the moment - and then I remember that I'm in control and any bad thoughts are just me. And then I move on.

This usually happens two or three times over the course of a trip and each time is only a couple minutes long but I always wonder while sober what could happen if I allow myself to really dwell on it and get deep.

It's definitely nice to not worry about sharing the music. I remember my first trip ever, my buddy wanted to hear a song (the other 3 of us agreed on something else for music beforehand) and we finally let him put it on, not knowing what it was.
It was some black metal song...put us all in a bad place for a while.

When you ask the internet, you are asking a bunch of internet users--people who have incorporated computers and the internet, tools that go hand-in-hand with solitude, into their lives.

You are therefore going to get responses that slant toward favoring aloneness.

Don't forget there is a whole swath of people, especially psychedelic users, who don't much use the internet, less internet forums. Consider their lifestyles, and consider tripping with them : ) .

The big difference is that when you're alone, you will go deeper into your thoughts. I really like listening to music with my eyes closed the best when I'm alone.

I think this is one of the reasons why I want to travel alone. In fact, when I listen to music with other people, I lean too much towards their reactions / emotions because I want to be an accomplice of their own euphoria. It may seem ridiculous ... but in a group I feel that a part of me is lost in the abyss in exchange for being condescending (not in a bad way) with others. As if I could only enjoy when I see others having fun. If the person traveling with me feels uncomfortable while listening to music, I immediately turn it off to find other entertainment that is to your liking.

There are pros and cons to both. Maybe try a shorter acting drug alone first, like psilocybin or 2C-B to make sure you are okay with it? Then go for LSD if the first trip goes okay. I have done AL-LAD, DMT, Psilocybin, 2C-E alone several times. It is nice to be able to listen to the music of your choice and not have to worry about anyone else.

I have a nice collection so I have the freedom to choose. I have taken tryptamines most of the time and I feel like exploring lysergamides and 2c-x compounds. I was thinking about 15mg of 2c-e or 100ug of Eth-lad.

Would these doses be equivalent?

It's not bad paranoia it's just that I find myself scared of having a bad trip because I know I'm alone. It's like my mind just randomly injects a bad thought into the experience. It's always quick, it comes - I dwell on it for two or three minutes which creates a general negative atmosphere in the moment - and then I remember that I'm in control and any bad thoughts are just me. And then I move on.

This usually happens two or three times over the course of a trip and each time is only a couple minutes long but I always wonder while sober what could happen if I allow myself to really dwell on it and get deep.

Wow, exactly the same thing happens to me! In fact, my wife always laughs at me because she says that at the beginning of the trip I am always anxious and nervous, but as the peak arrives I am the one who enjoys the most. I'm afraid of losing control, but when I lose it, I feel so free that I feel super euphoric.

When you ask the internet, you are asking a bunch of internet users - people who have incorporated computers and the internet, tools that go hand-in-hand with solitude, into their lives.

You are therefore going to get responses that slant towards favoring aloneness.

Do not forget there is a whole swath of people, especially psychedelic users, who do not much use the internet, less internet forums. Consider their lifestyles, and consider tripping with them:).

Hahaha I recognize that your comment has been original.

DocLad

Last edited:
I think this is one of the reasons why I want to travel alone. In fact, when I listen to music with other people, I lean too much towards their reactions / emotions because I want to be an accomplice of their own euphoria. It may seem ridiculous ... but in a group I feel that a part of me is lost in the abyss in exchange for being condescending (not in a bad way) with others. As if I could only enjoy when I see others having fun. If the person traveling with me feels uncomfortable while listening to music, I immediately turn it off to find other entertainment that is to your liking.

I think that's called empathy. :) I feel the same way, when I'm tripping with others I will always try to bend to their needs.

I have a nice collection so I have the freedom to choose. I have taken tryptamines most of the time and I feel like exploring
lysergamides and 2c-x compounds. I was thinking about 15mg of 2c-e or 100ug of Eth-lad.

Would these doses be equivalent?

15mg of 2C-E will probably be more intense than 100ug of LSD. Probably a high +2 or even a +3.

Dude 12mg of 2C-E had me at a definite +3. No way I could ignore them effects. I wish I had measured doses of LSD to compare

2c-e is a candidate suitable. I would like to try via rectal to slow down the side effects but I afraid that may be too overwhelming.

6-8mg would be my choice.

DocLad

For me it all depends on the psychedelic I'm using and dosage.

LSD is more social for me and I dislike too large of doses to ever take it too far for social interaction to be too much an issue.

Mushrooms I can only stand to have a few close loved ones around, especially at higher doses. And my best trips have been alone.

DMT these days is almost always alone. The deeper you go the more you want the solitude to allow that.

I started by tripping alone mainly as a kid, or off in the woods acting like a wild animal. Those trips were intense and eye opening for me yet not sure if that was just due to my youth. I grew up as a somewhat lonely kid so tripping alone as an introvert felt natural. It wasn't until I got older did I start to socially trip more with others.

As long as you prepare beforehand to think of potential hazards while your dosed hard that could come up, more often than not things will be alright.

My only suggestion considering you'll be out in nature is take a dose that's manageable. It's hard to get really remote these days and running into someone tripped out ain't fun. And in certain areas can be dangerous, rednecks out in the hills don't take kindly to people taking psychedelics to expand their minds lol I've seen it firsthand.

-GC