• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Allergic to inactive ingridient?

badbarbiedolly

Bluelighter
Hello everyone! I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help with. I've been on oxycodone hcl for about a year. Never had an issue..until now. I know we can't discuss brands so I will just say I've always received the generic from the same pharma company. Thursday I picked up and they looked different but I didn't think anything of it. 20 minutes went by before I started feeling sick. Headache, vomiting and burning all over. They are a different company.

I do have a lot of allergies and the more I took, the worse I got. I went to the ER and was told that it's impossible for me to be allergic to one and not the other. But the ingridient list is very different so now I've just stopped cold turkey and am in severe wd's. Anyone have expirience like this?

I filed a report with the fda and the pharmaceutical company but I'm stuck with a months worth of meds that make me feel like I'm being poisoned. They smell like chemical and taste awful.

I was was thinking about people who iv they seperate the inactive ingridient from the oxycodone. Maybe I could try that but instead of iv'ing I could just take the pure oxy orally. Would that even work?

Yes, it's absolutely possible. What are your known allergies/sensitivities? I've personally experienced different effecrs from different generics of the same med. Can you post the list of inactive ingredients that differ from your usual pills?

I'd do a CWE & try it orally. But it would really help if I had some idea what you might be reacting to.

Sorry for the delay, I totally forgot I posted this. I've been in withdrawls. Well I did a screenshot of the 2 different ingridient lists but I can't add them on here for some reason. The main thing that stands out is lots of aluminum lake. Different blues and numbers and other colors and numbers. That wasn't in what I had before. I'm allergic to shellfish, cold meds like sudafed, benedryl (I know you wouldn't think anyone could be allergic to that) phenergan, tons of antibiotics. The symptoms were like when I thought I was allergic to morphime but it turned out to be the benedryl I was taking to help with the side affects of the morphine. I'm wondering if it's one of the many colors added. Seems like it's was 3 different blues, yellow and a couple of reds. They all were aluminum lake.

Medication dyes as a source of drug allergy.

Excipients are defined as inert substances added to a drug or food to confer a suitable consistency, appearance, or form. They may be added for bulk, to change dissolution or the kinetics of absorption, to improve stability, to influence palatability, or to create a distinctive appearance. The last function may depend heavily on the use of coloring agents, especially when there are multiple dosages (such as with warfarin), and dose confusion may result in profound complications.

While described as inert, excipients have been associated with triggering immunological reactions, although this is almost never considered in common practice when patients have reactions to medications, even when they appear to react to many different and distinct drugs.

We have found a cohort of 11 patients with chronic, unexplained pruritic skin disorders that have responded to medication changes centered around avoidance of coloring agents, particularly FD&C Blue No. 1 (bright blue) and Blue No. 2 (indigo carmine). We believe that reactions to agents that color medications and foods may be more common than previously appreciated and that recognition of this phenomenon may provide therapeutic alternatives to patients with intractable pruritic disorders.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377335

Talk to your pharmacist and print this out if necessary.

Thank you so much! This makes sense to me. Let's just hope it makes sense to the pharmacist.

The dyes are highly likely, especially considering your known allergies. I actually encountered your problem numerous times when I worked in pharmacy. Lactose, gluten & dyes are the most common inactive allergens in meds IME. I found many with your specific allergies were dye sensitive. Not really my area of expertise but they seem to go together (specifically, shellfish/tree nuts/antibiotics & dyes). The blues & reds seem to be the most problematic.

My problem is with glycols like propylene glycol, if anyone cares, & they're just sensitivities not full blown allergies. Though glycols are usually in liquids/gels, not pills. I don't have any other allergies except topical ones to mango skin & poison oak, & some type of mild seasonal hayfever thing. There are a significant number of people sensitive to propylene glycol, but it's not common.

I experienced similar to what you have. I always filled my typical generic brand of 10mg and received a thicker off brand one time that caused severe cramps and dizziness. Following research I found the production was not in the USA, I felt like I was allergic to the fillers. Every time I go to the pharmacy I now make sure I get the good brand.