European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Allergic reaction while abusing codeine

Gindy

Greenlighter
So, yep I went overboard and took 600mg of codeine and had the most horrendous allergic reaction. I know the body makes histamine when converting codeine to morphine, but I have taken that dose a few times and been fine, itchy maybe, but fine..

I'm 3 days later with two perfect black eyes from the swelling.

#twatsrus

Last edited:
I'm not saying it was bullshit Gindy - why didn't you acknowledge all the responses you have had, if you genuinely wish to contribute? By not editing the 'swims' out it's just going to continue to come across as idiotic. Come and tidy it up else it might as well just go in the bin.

Look at Doxy's post above yours Stee - it were 'im what called bullshit.

I did mate - maybe he was unfair but as I said the post doesn't read well when you use that stupid term to try and be nondescript about who this actually happened to. I did read the whole thread and there was a much more useful comment by Julie that could have been taken on board rather than the one line Doxy posted.

..please read this >>> http://wiki.bluelight.org/index.php/Bluelight_User_Agreement_(BLUA)http:// before attempting to post again,

Last edited:
come back, tidy it up and tell us who should be really careful before considering using any more codeine... :!

It says edited yesterday reason swim but swim is still there *scratches head (not that head FUBAR) *

As we all know, "SWIM" stands for "Someone Who Is Me". As such it should be fairly simple for us and any passing law enforcement to get past that and get back to the rather innocuous HR question that underlies the hideously acronymed OP.

As you state yourself, histamine release is a standard reaction to taking codeine (and many other opies for that matter). The intensity of this reaction varies depending on a number of things. Sounds to me like you just copped a bad one. Antihistamines are your friend if it continues to be an issue. Also look up dietary interactions (grapefruit juice is the classic but there are others) that interfere with the liver's conversion of codeine to morphine. And also read up on our codeine thread(s) (found in the Index linked in my sig).

One thing to mention as someone who is prescribed DHC, if you do need antihistamines, please consult your pharmacist or gp first. Also, that sounds like a deeply nasty reaction that may well do you some good getting looked into. Until you do seek a medical opinion, I'd recommend giving them a miss tbh.

;)From this morning I believe i'm getting oxycontin 3/day for my thrice yearly neuralgia. Step up from DHC and tramadol(sniff), 50mg , bloody cold.

Beware of the oxy. If you dont need it i wouldn't be jumping into 3 a day unless you want a nasty addiction. Not to mention building a tolerance to opioids which is never good if you actually need them one day.

%)Don't worry consumer, I'm on em for 3 weeks max, then switch to DHC 30mg, then codeine phospate, then taper off. Thanks for caring though...

Hi apologies for the swim, I thought it was sop on these forums... I've now tidied it up :D

You're right on the avoiding it for a while, I took some antihistamines (every 4hrs type) which is what I think stymied the allergic response before it got worse. I took them the same day that the swelling started.

It was a shock tbqh as I've never reacted like that to any opiate.

But yeah, it's all good now!

Once again, apologies for the noob crappy post :O

Don't apologise, everyone has to make a first post and it wasn't shit. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Tbf, sometimes the wrong thing can be picked up on but over all, you'll find the support. Don't let that put you off.

Out of curiosity, what antihistamine were you on?

Sadie, cant read your PMs for tech reasons... but am interested to read...Pm me again. Ta. Anhistamines are not opiates. Explain yourself newbie. we dont bite...much;)

Um he said he took anti histamines to stymie the histamine reaction and it got worse when they wore off. Judging from all your posts i think the only one here who needs to explain themselves is you.