• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

All types of alcohol raise cancer risk

Kkool said:
I'm loving the racist characterization of HIV; it seems that only homos, blacks, and drug users have HIV now. Who would have known!

I assumed echo off was being satirical..

alcohol's bad, mmkay
we all know that
everything causes cancer these days
if you drink and smoke at the beach all day you might get cancer and die when you're 60
so either don't do those things
or don't live to be 60
that's the way i see it.

and if you don't want to get aids don't get other people's blood in you and don't get infected penises in you
or penises in general
penises are bad mmkay

Alchohol has the ability to destroy lives just like any other abused substance. I think it is a little extreme to say that if a women drinks every now and then, that they are putting themselves at sever risk for cancer. Like most people have pointed out already. Everything causes cancer these days. This is a good article, and perhaps more controled research should be done on it. Knowledge never hurt anyone. This is hard reduction, and in my opinion, these studies privovide good insight and and give us ideas on how we should focus research. I don't drink, but know many people that do. I am not a big fan of alcohol. I have seen it destroy more lives than any other abused substance. One must be carefull. Everything in moderation.

Kkool said:
I'm loving the racist characterization of HIV; it seems that only homos, blacks, and drug users have HIV now. Who would have known!

I like how everyone thinks that you won't get HIV if you're white, heterosexual, rich, and don't IV drugs.

My hetero male friends don't think that they'll get HIV or that the women who they have sex with would even have it but the CDC and other sources say otherwise about hetero women.

Also when I was seeing my doctor about getting tested for HIV since I'm bi and I have sex with men and women, and I get tested yearly I asked her why it seems like heterosexual men and women don't get tested for HIV and she said how it's not recommended at all unless they have unprotected sex and have more than 3 partners a year. 8)

I like what delltree guy had to say about everything in moderation and how it is an extremist opinion that if a woman drinks every now and then how she'll get cancer. I know women who don't drink alcohol at all who have gotten breast cancer.

DiamondDealer said:
I have a feeling that alchohol in general raise your risk to get any kind of cancer. Just my theory.

Well since it is a carcinogen... ;)

Life's a fucking risk of cancer. So many things that are "risks" of cancer. Its a joke, live life to the fullest while you can, you never know what could happen.

This study is ridiculous like most of them. Statistics can mean anything the researcher wants it too. What a waste of money and time.

Ah yes, that must explain very well why many women (and men) who are part of cultures that drink with every meal throughout their lives live to see 100 very healthy years 8).

I didn't read the whole article, nor did I read all the comments...

...but what I want to know is, when will people realize that correlation ≠ causation?? Sure, people that drink are more likely to get cancer. But that doesn't mean that the alcohol is directly causing it. People who drink are more likely to smoke, for instance.

TheAppleCore said:
I didn't read the whole article, nor did I read all the comments...

...but what I want to know is, when will people realize that correlation ≠ causation?? Sure, people that drink are more likely to get cancer. But that doesn't mean that the alcohol is directly causing it. People who drink are more likely to smoke, for instance.

yeah but this is a lil different from say the schizophrenia-pot connection where it could be conceivable that pot appeals more to people with mental issues. alcohol appealing more to those prone to cancer? seems a lil less likely

Never mind the sitting on your ass watching T.V., breathing in smog, all the chemical preservatives in your over processes food, your Prozac and assorted other scripts you use daily and the chlorinated polluted water you wash them down with.
It’s the naturally fermented wine that will kill you.
Better replace it with a 52 oz fountain coca cola and get a big mac with fries while you’re at the drive thru.

I can't believe people get paid to do studies like this. hmmm could it be to influence consumer spending habits?

I would not worry much about moderate alcohol consumption increasing the risk of cancer. It may increase the risk some, but there are other studies showing benefits to cardiovascular health and a reduced risk of Alzhiemer's. There may be both positive and negative effects on health. Overuse of alcohol is another matter. It is one of the worst drugs to abuse, IMO. I don't know how such a toxic feeling substance ever became so popular.

I sincerely doubt that alcohol is going to raise the risk of cancer a whole hell of a lot unless you're drinking pretty heavily.

Smoking is certainly much more risky.

But the correlation is almost certainly causative to some degree. This study neutralized outside influences fairly well (I've seen better studies, but this one had more subjects).

But then again, is it really a surprise to anyone here that the most dangerous drug in the country, responsible for the most deaths, causes cirrhosis and who knows what else can cause cancer?

The only big scientific surprise I've seen in the last 2 years is that Nicotine significantly reduces the risk of alzheimers (or was that parkinson's?)

Ham-milton said:
The only big scientific surprise I've seen in the last 2 years is that Nicotine significantly reduces the risk of alzheimers (or was that parkinson's?)

I read that nicotine reduces the risk of Parkinson's. The risks of tobacco use far outweighs the benefits. I suppose I'd use patches or gum if I was at high risk of Parkinson's. That is, if I did not smoke already. I don't think nicotine itself is very harmful, so it may be worth it (using patches or gum, not tobacco).