• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

ALL Recreational Drugs have randomly stopped working

bossbeast

Greenlighter
Hello, this is my first post so I apologize if something similar has been posted before.

I am diagnosed with severe Bipolar and Anxiety and also struggle with polysubstance abuse.

Due to this, I have recently been prescribed a variety of medications: Trazodone (Sedative/Mild Antidepressant for sleep), Lamictal (Anticonvulsant for mood stabilization), Mirtazapine (Tetracyclic Antidepressant), Trilafon (Anti-Psychotic), and Minocycline (Antibiotic for Acne)

I have been on all drugs except Lamictal for some time and I was able to use recreational drugs as normal. However, since Lamictal, I have been having weird reactions to all recreational substances.

Very small doses of cocaine make me feel like I'm having a heart attack, I require huge doses of Benzos to barely feel a buzz (I'm talking 11mg of Klonopin without a tolerance), similar for opiates (300mg of Codeine only made me dizzy, again no tolerance). These were not one time events, I repeated them and got the same results.

None of this was happening before Lamictal so i suspect that is the issue, or at least how Lamictal is reacting with everything else I'm on

I know in general this is a good thing, making it harder to do recreational drugs will help me lead a life of stability but I still want to enjoy these things once in a while like I had been before Lamictal.

My question is has anyone else experienced anything similar from Lamictal or any other cocktail of mental health drugs and have you been able to find a solution?

Every SSRI/SNRI/DNRI etc medications will react/block somehow with drugs and many of them will change the high to unpleasant. They are not suppossed to take with any kinds of drugs, because it could lead to serotonine syndrome (maoi + mdma for example) or other really dangerous reactions.

No offense but i think its because you have severe bipolar disorder. I have psychotic suicidal depression and where i tend to be tends mentally tends to ne the strongest predictor not dose of if i feel high. Thats why i have almost died many times being depressed trying despirately every drug i could find taking more and more not feeling relief.

I am a 21 with no college education and this is not medical advice. But im my opinion i think bipolar disorder has something to do with the ion channels and other signals in your being out of wack. So since you are already used to your brain firing abnormally both so you feel really good or really bad you cant really feel highs because your brains mental state is like war zone hurricanes on day and a sandals beach resort another so if you take a drug that might give you a slight mood boost when ur used to living back and forth between ww3 and a vacation it wont feel like anything

I'm no pharmacist or medical professional but i'd say taking " Trazodone (Sedative/Mild Antidepressant for sleep),[/B]), Mirtazapine (Tetracyclic Antidepressant)" would be the main culprit as to why you no longer find recreational drugs enjoyable any more. Maybe Bossbeast you have built up a tolerance to all the drugs you previously enjoyed and you need to take a long break to lower your tolerance.

I've never been on antidepressants but i've heard they will pretty much stop most illegal drugs that are meant to make your feel good or give you a buzz. Basically mixing illegal chemicals that give you a high with antidepressants is a waste of money at best and at worst a serious way to damage your Brain.

Isavela sums it up with his post.

Every SSRI/SNRI/DNRI etc medications will react/block somehow with drugs and many of them will change the high to unpleasant. They are not suppossed to take with any kinds of drugs, because it could lead to serotonine syndrome (maoi + mdma for example) or other really dangerous reactions.

As for Lamictal (Anticonvulsant for mood stabilization i too was on a mood stabiliser in my mid 20's for 7 years and for that period of time i used drugs like amphetamines MDMA and ketamine occasionally and the only noticeable reaction i had while taking those drugs and being on a mood stabiliser was that i tended to have a tremor or uncontrollable shake in my arms and hands while high.

FYI the mood stabizler i was on was Lithium so if illegal drugs worked for me on that medication maybe you just need to stop taking the antidepressants bossbeats but i wouldn't recommend stopping the antidepressants if your doctors tells you need them. I came off the lithium in 2008 but i am lucky to have never needed to take antidepressants so drug use has been possible for me despite needing medication to function.

Be well Bossbeast and make sure you are honest with the Doctor treating you

Lamictal is, in my opinion, useless trash that should be destroyed and not taken by mammals.

I think lamictal might play a critical role in keeping stable someone severely bipolar