• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcoholic tries nootropics, has weird "attack": medical expertise wanted

R4FKEN

Greenlighter
A friend of mine (really) is an alcoholic. Has been for years. Experience with all kinds of drugs, but alcohol remains a constant. He started taking Piracetam a few weeks ago, which he claims to remove his mental fog, making him twice as productive at work. So far, so good.

As I'm always in for more, I joined him in taking Piracetam, and proposed to add alpha-gpc, TMG and Phenibut. With the warning that Phenibut should be max once per week and to slowly build dose.

So, what happened to him today at work: he had a "kind of panic attack" as he calls it, which he never experienced before. Symptoms: heavy shaking, blurred vision, trouble breathing, cold sweats, almost passed out.

What he took when:
Friday: 8x250mg Phenibut, spread over half a day
Friday evening: a bunch of beer, a few small lines of speed, a Seroquel 200 to fall asleep
Saturday: standard day, Piracetam, alpha-gpc and beer, 1 Seroquel
Sunday: 1 Piracetam 1200 and 1 alpha-gpc, 3 heavy beers and a lot of normal beers
Monday (the day of the panic attack): 1 Piracetam 1200 and 1 alpha-gpc

So, the question: what happened to him? He's now scared to continue the nootropics, but I think that's too bad because the Piracetam seemed to help.
Has the Phenibut messed something up? I know it shouldnt be mixed with alcohol, because of the sedative effects combined. But days after the Phenibut use...?

Looking forward to your opinion.

I just asked him: he didn't drink today (monday) until after work, but says that's his usual ritual. Is it possible alcohol withdrawal symptoms come up and go like that?

Mate I'm a paramedic and some of those symptoms are worrying. They are possible signs of an MI (myocardial infraction). Get him checked out at a hospital where a ecg and blood tests wil determin any cardiac issues.

Depends on how much he drinks etc. But if he's used to only drink after work I don't think so.
It could have been a side effect of either piracetam or alpha-gpc but it's more or less impossible to say

I agree with BigG, he should get checked out and imo he should stop taking the nootropics and maybe think about switching to a long acting benzo, like diazepam, instead of alcohol and start tapering.

Is no one thinking about the problems between mixing this much phenibut in with it all? Ive taken just 1.5g of phenibut (my normal dose being 1g) and i was overly excited, had some mild shakes, and was uncomfortable for about an hour before it subsided. Was basic anxiety for me, but i knew it came from the phenibut (phenibut usually kills my anxiety, but for some reason, higher doses make me overly excited and cause anxiety)

Definitely take him to the hospital if it happens again though...that is a severe reaction to anything, doesnt matter what he's taken.

Why are you even fucking about with the phenibut? It's not a nootropic in the racetam sense. It's a straight up gabaergic drug - it's the last thing an alcoholic needs to start playing with. So many possible negative interactions, huge tolerance and addiction crossover issues, etc.

Could it be a blood sugar thing?
I've had low blood sugar before (pretty sure) and it was something like this, shaky, cold sweats, racing heart, nearly passed out....ate 6 Oreos and some milk, and I was cured. Brought about by various substances.

I'm not an alcoholic, but I can only imagine if I drank as often as I did opiates....i'd probably be pretty shaky a lot of the time.

But at least you don't need an Rx for booze....thrown in some some stimulants and i'm straight.

Not sure if a benzo would help at all, except maybe for shakes between drinks....I imagine a lot of alcoholics take Xanax or something during the daytime and drink after work..knew at least one guy who did that anyways. Sure it isn't great for you're brain, you'd likely need some stimulants with that combo.

Maybe it is just alcohol withdrawal. Maybe his tolerance has increased and he is now crossing the line to the point where he finally will have to drink everyday.

It's now Tuesday (the day after the "attack"). Just received a message that he experienced a few painful "jabs" in his chest and left arm today, and hasn't dared to smoke or drink coffee since.

(I swear I'm not making this up, and I'm 99% sure neither is he)

I'm now convincing him to at least see a doctor today, currently waiting for his reply...

Jezus Christ, to think I was the one suggesting most of the nootropics... I'm not even going to tell you who offered him the speed.... :/

It's now Tuesday (the day after the "attack"). Just received a message that he experienced a few painful "jabs" in his chest and left arm today, and hasn't dared to smoke or drink coffee since.

(I swear I'm not making this up, and I'm 99% sure neither is he)

I'm now convincing him to at least see a doctor today, currently waiting for his reply...

Jezus Christ, to think I was the one suggesting most of the nootropics... I'm not even going to tell you who offered him the speed.... :/
He needs to get to the ER, those symptoms are heart attack symptoms. It sounds like he definitely has some cardiac issues going on.

Sounds like low blood sugar while I'm on trenbolone..

Sorry this post wasn't helpful.

It has got to be the cocktail of neuro supps he's taking combined with mild alcohol withdrawal I'm sure. Alcohol withdraw hits me the second the alcohol is mostly out of my system until I get another drink.

I know it's ridiculous, but he just spent 15 minutes reassuring me he's fine now, and will go see a doctor "if it happens again". Yet he still doesn't touch his cigarettes or coffee...

I don't know what to believe atm... Can BigG please provide insights, as a paramedics? Preferably confirming there is at least a chance that it'll be OK without seeing a pro? I'm going crazy here...

Thank you for the pm R4FKEN....

This is almost definately symromatic of an MI...it's almost classic...PLEASE get him to hospital or call an ambulance ASAP..

I really can't stress that enough....

Please do it...

And thank you for the quick reply. I just copied/t exted him your reaction and told him you're a f*** paramedic... I don't know what else I can do

Youre welcome mate. I've been a paramedic for 15 years and am Senior Paramedic.

Symptoms of a MI (heart attack) are clammy skin, shortness of breath, crushing central chest pain and pins and needles that radiate down left arm (or either arm)...among others.

Pray that he's ok bro.

Well, his reply roughly translates as "I don't feel as if it's gonna happen again, otherwise I would've gone to ER already"...
Now I'm happy I'm on heavy meds that knock me right out, or I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight... Goddamn

Well, his reply roughly translates as "I don't feel as if it's gonna happen again, otherwise I would've gone to ER already"...
Now I'm happy I'm on heavy meds that knock me right out, or I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight... Goddamn

Mate If it happens again he could be dead....

Sorry to be blunt but have seem this shit hundreds of times before....

You can't FORCE people to get help though.(well I can but you can't) ....you've done your best bro...

Yeah, calling an ambulance against his will is a few steps too far for me... Anyway thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to letting you guys know everything is OK tomorrow...