• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol Withdrawal and Clonidine

Sharpless

Greenlighter
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question, as I am a new member. I am wondering about the effects of clonidine with alcohol withdrawal. I typically drink 1 liter of vodka twice a month and when I do, I feel sick for 1-3 days after. I'm wondering if clonidine could help with the withdrawal symptoms. Or if clonidine itself could perhaps produce a desirable or maybe euphoric effect. (Also the proper doses). Thank you for your time and consideration ❤️

There is no enjoyable dose of clonidine.

You drink a liter of vodka in one go?

Most people don't experience withdrawal from binge drinking twice a month.

I do but I've had a previous alcohol dependency. I spent maybe 4 years marinated and had a horrible withdrawal process. It took a couple months to get a full night's sleep. Fast forward 3 1/2 years, I occasionally drink, when it's hard alcohol I'll be sick 1-3 days depending on how much I drank and self care or lack of. Staying hydrated, vitamin supplements, eating (idk why I tend to not eat during drinking), and a low dose benzo help ease the post-drinks discomfort.

I do but I've had a previous alcohol dependency. I spent maybe 4 years marinated and had a horrible withdrawal process. It took a couple months to get a full night's sleep. Fast forward 3 1/2 years, I occasionally drink, when it's hard alcohol I'll be sick 1-3 days depending on how much I drank and self care or lack of. Staying hydrated, vitamin supplements, eating (idk why I tend to not eat during drinking), and a low dose benzo help ease the post-drinks discomfort.

How much were you drinking when you were drinking on a regular basis, out of curiosity.

How much were you drinking when you were drinking on a regular basis, out of curiosity.

About a handle of vodka or whiskey a day, sometimes more, sometimes less if I couldn't stay awake. Occasionally beers but I typically walked to the store (I gave away my truck when I realized I hadn't been sober in a couple years) and that was a lot to carry. When there was beers I'd take a swig and add a shot to buff it up. There was a phase of pints of 90 (or was it 100?) proof peppermint schnapps (cheap, strong, purse sized, and I convinced myself it didn't smell like alcohol), but the handles were more cost effective.

I'm 5'6", at the time about 140 lbs and 28-32 years old to add perspective.

Last edited:
Mate, after drinking a liter of vodka you probably have a massive hangover, not necessarily alcohol withdrawal, especially when only doing that once or twice a month. If you don't want to feel like that then don't drink a liter of vodka lmao. I don't think clonidine will do anything that a proper breakfast the day after and plenty of hydration won't do.

Negrogesic once again with an awesome answer. Please understand that most other moderators exist solely to please me and my acceptance means the world to them.

;)

Clonidine (Catapres) is a commonly used medication for Hypertension, but it has found new life in medicating symptoms of drug withdrawal, from Opioids, to Alcohol, to nicotine.

If you are not tolerant to the Clonidine, then I really wouldn't consume any more than .6mg per day.

I once got on a 14 hour plane ride fully in Heroin withdrawal. All I had was booze and Clonidine on me. Typically, .2mg of this drug will sedate a normal person to the point of sleep. I ended up zombified and I could barely walk the terminal to my connection.

If you are withdrawing, you might be tempted to keep taking more. Do not do this. You can easily end up in a hypotensive crisis as a result. Keep the usage reasonable. It isn't magic but it will definitely help.

Questions?