• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Alcohol Tincture 1st Time, Is it Okay? Water-bath Needed?

muie

Bluelighter
Hello everyone! I have now gathered up about 95g-100g of de-carboxylized cannabis, that is high grade bud I've saved from my vaporizer!

I have Global 94% a very high proof alcohol that is 94% alcohol like the name suggests, however this is my first time doing such a tincture!

My understanding is that I just need to put as much (decarboxylized) cannabis material as I can fit and cover it with the 94% alcohol, and letting it sit for some weeks and only shaking the bottle once in a while! After which it is strained.... Could it be that easy?

I have checked some sources and it depresses me to no end to learn that this simple process is further complicated by the suggestions that one needs to:
"Take activated plant material & measured alcohol & place inside your cooking container, & take this and place it in the pot of water for water bath (like a double boiler). Turn on stove & cook the mixture @ 168-172 for 20-35 minutes stirring every 5mins or so, not letting the temperature get over 173F (boiling point of alcohol)."

I think this is only complicating a simple thing, unless you can help me understand the reason behind it!

Can anybody please explain the reason for the last part?

- why must you take the decarb weed, mix it with the alcohol and boil it over low temperature?

heating will give you a better extraction, simple as that. but if you are letting it sit for weeks, there might be little difference.

the cannabis must be dacarboxylated, because THCA is inactive whereas the decarboxylated compound THC is active. if you don't heat your extraction at all and your cannabis is not decarboxylated, you final product might very well be inactive.