• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol physical addiction

187coopa

Bluelighter
Hey all, first and foremost im an opiate addict been on subs for god knows how long. but besides the point.

just lost the love of my life and pretty much my son not mine but he called me dad a week ago and ive been hitting the bottle pretty hard everynight since then only way I can sleep and somewhat smile.. I think 7 days straight.

my question is opiate addiction crept up on me outta nowhere but how long can you drink till your body becomes addicted?

I really dont wanna battle 2 physical addictions.. Opiate maintenance has been tough enough to hide and maintain a normal life.

Alcohol is a lot more difficult to become physically addicted to than opiates.

No one can answer this 100%, everyone suffers different types of withdrawals over different periods of time. Some people say it takes a month, some say years, some say they never get WD.

For me personally I get WD quite easily, when I was drinking vodka for just 5 days in a row, with doses of 9-15 shots each day, on the end of those acute benders I would come out with extreme nervous system shocks with high blood pressure/heart rate, shakes, panic, dry heaves, nausea, delirium, vommiting.

I suffer from existing mental illness, alcoholism, and that plays a role in it.

Hard liquor its easier to get WD, but of course the longer you drink and the quantity are what will increase WD / chances of WDs. I quit drinking because of that reason, but I hear some folks say they drank as much as 7-8 beers at night for years and said the WD was minimal.

Stop drinking and see after 24 hours how bad you feel.

It usually takes quite some time but when you use opiates(methadone is the worst) the dependence can come on much faster. I am not sure why but there is a medical reason and it was explained to me when I was on methadone maintenance. I was so bad they put me on antabuse and they had to take me off because I would drink through the side affects of neck and face turning red and heart palpitations and realized after you continue to drink you would still be able to get drunk(at the expense of kidney damage).