• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol major question regarding daily use vodka

Jowieseff

Bluelighter
Hey guys I've been drinking for a 30 days straight. First whiskey and then vodka after 2 weeks..

2 questions.
#1 is it OK to stop cold turkey right now without complications

#2 does vodka make teeth go bad ? Once I started drinking about 375 + mL a day (pint) I've been getting hurt teeth first like my enamel was burned off as if I used those whitening straps and even the air would burn my teeth. Next now I feel like I have a toothache for 4 teeth or so when I had one toothache prior to drinking but they're about at the teeth that the alcohol touches when I'm drinking multiple gulps per day.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated thank you.

Hey @Jowieseff
First, I'm no MD and I don't know your health situation, age, or existing conditions, medications, or history with alcohol etc., so that's just my estimate, assuming you are reasonable healthy.

#1 I don't think one gets physically dependent on alcohol so quickly, at least I didn't. I would not expect any dramatic rebound effect, seizures or delirium etc., if anything, your body might feel relieved for not getting 'poisoned' every single day. How did you feel during you binge apart from your teeth? I felt like ass. Stay hydrated and eat well, sleep, and you will probably be fine. Sure, your mind might get a little cranky without your fix, there is a reason why you went on a spree like that I presume..

#2 Don't know, I don't think of ethanol as that aggressive to the teeth, but when you had a ache already, ..well, maybe it's just natural progress. Of course, being very dehydrated or sleeping/passing out with a dry mouth, or gnaw on hard food while fucked up not feeling much is not ideal. Stopping by at some dentist might not be the worst idea man.

Greetings

Get yor hands on levure de bière. You're lacking B vitamines

Hey guys I've been drinking for a 30 days straight. First whiskey and then vodka after 2 weeks..

2 questions.

#2 does vodka make teeth go bad ? Once I started drinking about 375 + mL a day (pint) I've been getting hurt teeth first like my enamel was burned off as if I used those whitening straps and even the air would burn my teeth. Next now I feel like I have a toothache for 4 teeth or so when I had one toothache prior to drinking but they're about at the teeth that the alcohol touches when I'm drinking multiple gulps per day.

Do you drink all day or only at night?

Severe physical withdrawal tends to set in when you drink continuously and maintain a constant blood level.

Whatever your drinking patterns are, do NOT stop cold turkey. It's a legal and easily accessible drug so you can do your own taper at your own pace.

I would suggest replacing the spirits with a high strength wine or sherry for a few days, followed by a few days of decent beer.

Alcohol is piss easy to reduce from due to its availability. However, it's the availability that makes it a total bitch to stay off.

Having said all that, you're very unlikely to experience any withdrawal after only 30 days of abuse. Alcohol can take years to obtain a severe dependence...

As for the teeth question, I've never noticed alcohol to have any detrimental dental effects- unlike heroin, methadone and crack...

I tend to look at ethyl alcohol as a useful solvent, and it's good for sanitizing things in higher concentrations. I like to put some 190-proof Everclear into a spray bottle for cleaning the kitchen, bathroom, whatever. In this light, drinking ethyl alcohol seems absurd, doesn't it? But then, I suppose it's not much different from the solvent GBL acting as a prodrug for GHB in the human body, or the way lithium is used to treat bipolar disorder. Regardless alcohol is a really shitty drug with a very limiting scope. One of its only real appeals is that it's legal in a variety of situations for adults to possess and consume, unlike virtually every other recreational drug in existence. There's nicotine, but let's face it: that has limited appeal.

But never mind all of that. Alcohol takes a heavy goddamn toll on the body (just ask your teeth), and if you continue to drink heavily as you get older, it becomes a bad look. There are so many other, better drugs you can do. Safer drugs, at that. So give your liver a little break from all the heavy lifting and drop some acid, eat some shrooms, snort some k, drop some molly & candyflip it and right after that peaks, take a bump of 3-HO-PCP until the wonkiness swallows its own tail… eat some 2C-B, make love, take a shower together and when you get out, use the alcohol sprayer to mist the medicine cabinet mirror, wipe it clean and take a look at yourself and smile realizing you avoided a stupid spiral down into alcoholism by having the courage to break a few drug laws. Call it civil disobedience and take pride in your actions.

Or don't. Selah. But to answer your direct question: I wouldn't recommend quitting any GABA-ergic substance (alcohol included) cold turkey. The body is very homeostatic and tends to kick back against whatever you do to it. So if you're always on painkillers and then suddenly stop, you'll feel pain. Always on stims, your body fights against the excess stimulation. Take the stims away and the body keeps pushing downward for a while until it comes back to homeostasis. So GABA-ergics (GHB, benzos, alcohol) act also as anticonvulsants. If the body gets used to their presence and you suddenly take it away, guess what? You could go into life-threatening convulsions. No bueno. Avoid that. Taper down. Good luck – you got this.

EDIT: Oh yeah I should also add something that rarely gets addressed. And that is the fact that ethyl alcohol is a Group 1 carcinogen. It's as cancer-causing as cigarettes, asbestos, and UV light. The alcohol industry lobbies big dollars every year to suppress this knowledge and not be required to carry cancer-warnings on their labels, but the fact that cigarettes have to carry these warnings while alcohol does not might create a false sense of safety in the public concerning alcohol consumption. Makes no mistake about it: drinking is directly linked to liver, kidney, bladder, ureta, and colorectal cancers.

And I'm not saying no one should ever drink; that's stupid. But daily, repeated exposure to a known carcinogen isn't a wise idea either.

Last edited:
Can you provide any evidence for that claim - especially regarding asbestos?

The IARC classification system doesn't really tell us anything about the risk associated with each substance, just because something is in group 1 doesn't mean it shares the same risks as other substances within that group.
Group 1 basically means that the amount of scientific evidence is very high, high enough to conclude that said substance does cause cancer in humans. But not everyone will get cancer from it, it depends on many things like the level and frequency of exposure.

Processed meats are a group 1 carcinogen, so is air pollution. Yet I doubt they carry the same risks as things like arsenic, asbestos, aflatoxins, etc...

Last edited:

2 questions.

I don't *think* that's enough alcohol, or a long-enough time period to get physically dependant (it took me about 6 months of drinking more than twice that daily before I started getting seriously unwell when I stopped) BUT if you experience mild-moderate withdrawal (any of the following: shaking, tremors, sweating, anxiety, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting) I'd definitely have a few shots. If you feel better (or, "normal") again very quickly, then you'll know that that is for sure withdrawal and you need to taper down slowly (for vodka, reducing by 50ml/day is the MAX safe amount, but personally I'd reduce by half that much if you want to be comfortable). Even though you *probably* won't get any severe withdrawal, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Severe alcohol withdrawal is considered a medical emergency as it causes hallucinations, seizures, stroke and death.

completely depends on the person/history. I would have an uncontrollable drag out DT by that point. the first time I experienced dt's was in my early 20's after a month or two of constant whiskey and intermittent benzos as much as I could swallow.
so it certainly can happen. As another suggested - you should taper (keep track of how much you are using, and reduce by 10/20% a day).

Yes, it absolutely is hard on your teeth and all other organs. it's a potent solvent.

The IARC classification system doesn't really tell us anything about the risk associated with each substance, just because something is in group 1 doesn't mean it shares the same risks as other substances within that group.
Group 1 basically means that the amount of scientific evidence is very high, high enough to conclude that said substance does cause cancer in humans. But not everyone will get cancer from it, it depends on many things like the level and frequency of exposure.

Processed meats are a group 1 carcinogen, so is air pollution. Yet I doubt they carry the same risks as things like arsenic, asbestos, aflatoxins, etc...
Fair enough. My point there is, taxonomically at least, it is in the same grouping. Apologies for the confusion.