• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol "comedown" - CEV, voices, sleep paralsis - alcohol hallucinosis?

Joopy

Greenlighter
Hello all,

I'm a binge drinker and I often drink several times a week. Last weekend I went a bit hard and was drinking non-stop for 3 days. The next day I was hearing auditory hallucinations all day (music and the voices of my friends from the night before). When I tried to go to sleep I would see closed eye visuals - shadowy people talking and laughing, and also an illusion where I was driving on a road. These visuals became intense, which made it impossible to sleep until I took some Xanax. I woke up with sleep paralysis, which seems to happen every time I drink a lot or take Xanax! Any explanation for that?

I'm wondering of any BLers have experienced anything like this? Searching google seems to suggest it is called alcohol hallucinosis, but I can't find much discussion about it on forums.

I'm also curious if my past drug use has had anything to do with it. I used to drink quite heavily, but I never had these symptoms until I started using MDMA and LSD about 6 months ago. I haven't used any drugs for 2 months now.

Any info or experiences are welcome! Thanks

The shadow people weren't part of the sleep paralysis? I've many sleep attacks and a couple out of body experiences, but never while under the influence of something. If auditory hallucinations are happening when youre wide awake and lucid, thats cause for concern. Do tell of previous history with auditory hallucinations and sleep paralysis. Does this ever happen to you while sober?

No, the closed eye visuals weren't part of the sleep paralysis. I was fully awake and conscious. They would get more intense as I started to drift off to sleep, but I would always open my eyes when the visuals and anxiety got too intense.

Yes, the auditory hallucinations were happening while I was fully awake and going about my daily activities! Thankfully this never happens when I'm sober, only during the alcohol "hangover/withdrawal" phase of heavy drinking. And it is most intense when I'm sleepy or trying to sleep.

As for sleep paralysis, it first started happening about 6 months ago, but at first it was only after taking MDMA. Then a few months later I took Xanax for a week and I got sleep paralysis almost every night! Maybe it was a coincidence but it put me off benzos. Now I sometimes get sleep paralysis from drinking alone.

I also had an out of body experience for the first time last week.... it was very freaky! I was dreaming and then I "realized" I was dreaming, and it turned into a lucid dream. I was in bed and I thought I was having sleep paralysis but this time I began to float from outside my body and I was hovering above my bed. I was trying to stay calm but then suddenly I started spinning very fast! It felt like I was possessed by an evil force.

It sounds like it could have been this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

I have no experience with alcohol withdrawl or with experiencing what the OP did while drinking a lot daily and going to bed drunk, or waking up drunk. When I was binge drinking in large amounts daily/nightly for half a year when I quit drinking so much and cut back and eventually temporarily stopped I did it gradually and I didn't get any withdrawal at all. I asked my doctor and other medical professionals about this and they said I must be genetically lucky, but my genes come from costco. I do not drink at all or use anything at all now.

I once did get sleep paralysis after drinking but it happened when I was camping and I only had 2-3 bottles of beer and then went to bed since I was tired and had been traveling all day, and then woke up hours later early in the morning while it was still dark outside when the alcohol wore off and I had a vivid dream/nightmare, and sleep paralysis for a few minutes but it was confusing at the time; but then I got up and took a piss, drank some water, and then came back to the tent and fell back asleep. It's never happened again not even when I was in college and drinking a lot as I described above. This was before I got into drinking daily or binge drinking. At the time I would drink but just at parties, concerts, at parties with friends, or while camping with friends like I did then and I just would drink 2-4 beers.

Last edited:
It may have been mild alcohol withdrawal. In which case, the symptoms you mention are entirely normal.

Homeless -> Basic Drug Discussion

^ this, if you're a regular drinker. Or since you were drinking heavily over a short period, it could just be rebound effect from the alcohol finally wearing off.

I got severe alcohol withdrawal on Monday, tried to treat myself with diazepam but developed CEV and auditory hallucinations on teusday. Got no sleep for 2 days because of the dt’s on mon. Went to doc who gave me Librium. More CEV Wednesday & I knew i was getting it tonight because the auditory comes first. So looking forward to 4 nights of no sleep. Insomnia is bad enough but I have to watch really crap b movies ALL night because if I close my eyes the image is the same. It is the most extreme torture & driving me nuts. Don’t know where my brain gets them. Any other cure suggestions? What’s the longest case? Why only at night? Thanks

I was a binge drinker for 25 years and a full-blown, daily drinking alcoholic for about 10 of those. Unfortunately, there is no "cure" for what you're describing. Insomnia comes with the territory because there is no GABA to counter the glutamate surge in the brain. The longest I was ever up during EtOH WD was about 80 hours, and yeah, I watched a lot of one-star shit on Netflix during those 80 hours too. The Librium should help, and if you have any sedating antidepressants such as trazodone, mirtazapine or doxepin, they can help too. You likely did not have actual delirium tremens if you have any awareness of it - in full blown DTs you have no awareness of reality and you would have been admitted to a hospital because it is a life-threatening situation. Alcohol withdrawal blows, but you have the power to decide if you ever want to put yourself through it again once you get over it (unfortunately, I chose to go through it over and over and over again).

Sleep paralysis, as far as I know, is not a dangerous phenomenon. It's not something that we need to address here in HR. Typically, the use of drugs like MDMA seem to contribute to the experience of sleep paralysis. I've experienced it several times. It's a little bit scary, but nothing to be overtly concerned about.

Basically, you're using Alcohol in excess and Alcohol is highly poisonous and toxic to the body in general. The more you drink, typically, the more you're going to notice your body not working in the same way it used to. If we're looking at Alcohol abuse as a spectrum of health-death, the end stage of truly excessive Ethyl Alcohol consumption would probably be considered Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome i.e. Wet Brain i.e. you are now mentally retarded and require round-the-clock medical care to function.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, but that's Alcohol man. People die in their early 20's from Alcohol use all the time. The sheer damage of Alcohol as a drug is down-played in such a way that the majority of Americans believe Alcohol to be the safest substance they can consume, when in reality it is more socially damaging then all other drugs combined.

Can you guys tell me what the actual objective of this thread is? We're not going to discuss sleep paralysis as a sole subject of a thread.

Hey,

I'm with Keif' on most of these subjects. If you're discussing deaths per 100k people Cigarettes are the king with something like 500-600 users dying. Thats per one study and includes people who smoke for a few years then stop. For life long smokers the death rate is about 1/3. And the 2/3s who aren't killed, I don't know exact numbers, but most have horrible effects, if you're in the USA they used to run commercials of the long time smoker and would show a lady talking with a voice box, and then smoking through her neck after a tracheotomy, there were many other iterations of these commercials. They were, maybe still are many iterations of these commercials (I don't watch much tv and when I do it's from DVR and I skip the commercials.) And unlike the anti-weed commercials that I hope have stopped since they had no basis in science showing much worse, and impossible things, those cigarette commercials were accurate.

That said alcohol was #2 in deaths per 100k with something like 180 per 100k. That may not sound too bad, but again that # number includes all the college kids who went overboard a couple years and then stopped any alcohol use, maybe 1 drink is ok (if you can control you're usage, otherwise no amount is safe), if you're a large man 2 can still be considered ok, not great but better then nothing. (though thats a lot of pointless calories.) The reality for life or longterm heavy drinkers (life long usually meaning dying in their 40s--50s, 60s if you won the generic lottery for a heavy alcoholic.) And if you think heavy drinker doesn't apply to you, a heavy drinker can mean as little as 8 drinks a day, someone drinking 6 drinks per day would be a moderate - heavy alcoholic, (for a sleight short male it'd be heavy, for any size of a woman it'd be heavy drinking since since women don't metabolize alcohol as well as men, and are of course usually smaller then men already, so ladies don't try to keep up with you male friends. If myself and a woman my same height and weight, have 4 shots each together. The female, again no matter what size she was, compared to the male will be drunker than the male unless the their alcoholics and have tolerance,) also what is a drink? In the USA it's defined as a standard 1.5 ounce shot of 40% alcohol, I don't remember what it is for wine, but it's less than most people fill their glass to (I think it's a 5 ounces of 12 or maybe 13% wine, don't hold me to that exact number, but its much less wine per glass than most realize.) And perhaps most importantly, especially with the craft beer revolution, 1 drink is a 12 ounce 5% alcohol beer. So if you go out and have 3 pints of some IPA or some type of dark beer that's 7.5% alcohol. 3 pints drinks are actually 4 drinks for a 5% beer, but most are more than that, so going back to a 7.5% beer, 3 pints is actually 6 units of alcohol. So 3 pints is all ready a dangerous level if drunk on any sort of regular basis.

And yup, while 1 person takes acid and runs naked into a freeway and is killed, the media is going to go crazy about the dangers of acid, meanwhile, I know at UCSB, a single, fairly prestigious college, 2-4 kids die every year from getting drunk and doing something stupid like doing pull-ups on a branch that hangs out over the cliffs, that can't support their weight, and that's it, goodbye life.

The VERY picky thing I'd say is just slightly wrong from Keif's post is that Wernicke-Korsakoffs encephalopathy isn't actually caused directly by alcohol, it's caused by thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency, but guess what, alcohol depletes stores of thiamine, and the vast majority of Wernicke's-Korsakoffs cases are all are from alcohol induced B1 deficiency, something like 99% of cases. So for those of you who are alcoholics (which again could be as little as 3 pints of a heavy beer a day) and can't stop, HARM REDUCTION TIP: start taking Vitamin b1 (thiamine) supplements at least once a day, once at night and once in the morning would be better. Don't look at the bottle that says it has 300% of your needed daily value of B1, if you're an alcoholic you're 300% B1 supplement is still likely not enough thiamine, even taken every day. I'd take that once in the morning, and again at night. And to briefly describe Wernicke-Korsacoffs syndrome, patients don't walk around, they slowly shuffle around, just walking around back at forth. And also, I could work with a patient every day for years, and every day he'd ask who I was, where he was, if they could see their wife (who died 30 years ago, assuming they remember her at all) showing a patient a mirror can cause terror in them, since they might think they're 20 years old when they're in fact 55. And if I was jerk I could punch them in the face knocking them back, and they might turn back to me asking "why does my jaw hurt?" I could then say "you fell," and they would respond with something like "oh ok, who are you again?", I'll respond "I'm a RN, I've been working with you for 15 years", then they might laugh, saying "that me and my wife just got here today, where is she right now?" and so on and so on. Of course, I would never treat them that way, but that's how bad the memory loss is.

Finally, if you're alcoholic who quits cold turkey, you're in very real danger depending how bad your addiction is/was. If you get the DTs, which can start as late as 3 days from your last drink, shakiness, delerium, other signs, YOU NEED TO BE IN A HOSPITAL. People joke about the DTs, but, it has a FATALITY RATE OF AROUND 15%. It is no joke, ideally you should taper, but that's extremely hard since the effects of alcohol usually make you do stupid things, so a taper plan is very hard to stay with. So, if you're trying to CT alcohol, go the the hospital before you get the DTs, don't try to tough it out on your own. Many hospitals will actually give you few shitty beers a day, and a whole host of other medications, and they'll slowly withdrawal the alcohol trying to avoid the DTs. It's a long, painful thing to do, but is 100% worth it!

During my time in Nursing school, I saw one very nice lady, but something like 94 years old, die. Also, 1 90+ year old man, who was expected to die in a few days (I don't know exactly from what.) And the only other 3 people I saw WHO WERE GOING TO DIE, in less then a week, were 3 men suffering from various alcohol caused disorders, in their 40s-50s. Try too taper, but go to your doctor first to develop a safe plan. And if you notice the signs of the DTs, per the medical definition, have someone get you to the hospital quickly. And if you can't stick to your taper plan, it's time for an actual hospital detox or alcohol specific detox center.

And this is just the beginning of dangers of problems caused by alcohol, I could pretty easily write a 10 page paper on the subject, if only I wasn't sick of 2, 15-20 page papers per week in nursing school. The dangers of alcohol don't stop at you, drunk driving, losing control completely against your normal character and getting in fights, stumbling off side walks into on coming vehicles, your death will cause significant trauma to that person for a long long time.

Don't get me wrong, I have my drug own addictions, and drink a beer maybe 4/7 days a week, and maybe will have 4 or 5 on a special occasion, fortunately I can control alcohol use, other drugs I can't. Scroony, I can't fully evaluate you from here, and don't know how bad your addiction is/was, but I would recommend going to an alcohol detox center, hospital, or at LEAST a 2nd Doctor for a second opinion, now asap. What you experienced Monday wasn't the DT's, the DT's refer to specific set alcohol withdrawal symptoms of alcohol withdrawals, some of the symptoms from Tuesday and Wednesday are signs of the DT's (though there's many other signs that you didn't report.) Hopefully your Doctor was competent, I know the last 4/5 I saw were not competent. I won't get into that or I'll write 4 more giant angry paragraphs. I probably just had a streak of bad luck, but if you get ACTUAL DTs, YOU'RE PLAYING WITH YOUR LIFE. Don't try MAN UP and TOUGH IT OUT, try to AT LEAST get a 2nd opinion, if not go to a detox center/hospital and get their opinion. If you get actual, medically defined DT's, and I don't want to scare you, but for your own sake I will, YOU'RE TRUSTING ONE MAN/WOMAN with your LIFE. At a hospital, even if they determine you don't have the DTs, you can relax a bit, and they can give you better medications to help you through your detox more safely and comfortably (it will still suck I'm afraid). Get someone to drive you wherever you go, you're not safe to drive. Am I being overly cautious? YES because actual DT's KILL PEOPLE somewhere around 15% as I said earlier, and you've described at least a few of the symptoms. I doubt you're in real danger, but don't trust your life to ONE DR, nor me who doesn't know the extent of your addiction and what other symptoms you may not be reporting.

Stay safe yawls!

Gregorio888 you know your stuff. It?s Friday now & had my first nights sleep since Sunday. Hallucinations have stopped. Still a bit of double vision but have walked down the stairs without using handrail & held a glass with one hand since Monday. You?re right about it not being dt?s, it was severe alcohol withdrawal which is just one step away so was very lucky! What saved me was probably early Librium (should have been earlier) & I have been on thiamine for a year. In the UK they give you 100x the drc & it?s cheap otc if you don?t want to go to the doc. Also plenty of fluids, eating even if you don?t feel like it and a multi vitamin. Stay away from caffeine & nicotine. I found my symptoms increased after a smoke. My therapist said they have police, firefighters and aircraft controllers as patients. I?m a paramedic so self mannaged the first time it happened. Could have ended up badly. Alcoholism is considered an illness and it doesn?t have the stigma it used to have. There?s plenty of help out there and most people have a friend or family member they know that drinks too much.

Hey Scrooney,

I'm glad you seem to be turning around and skated under the medical definition of DT's, since I'm a new RN only, haven't even had a job, (and it's commonly said, you're not an RN until you've worked as a RN for a couple years", and I completely buy that) whenever someone has the "DTs, it sends me into panic mode for that person" because I was shocked by the fatality rate, which does vary a lot from one source to another. I've seen everywhere from 5% - 20% fatality rate and it's unclear if the person was treated in hospital or just stayed at home themselves. I need to remember that the DT's are used by the general population (including me just a few years ago) as any type of moderate alcohol withdrawal, when the medical definition requires a lot more going on. I wish I could link pictures, but maybe that's a green lighter problem here, or me not figuring out something, or just isn't allowed at all, since I have the requirements right here that anyone could take to their doctor with a copy of how they felt, and have the Doc write their own evaluation and compare to yours, and it could either put people at some ease, or get them to more intensive treatment fast. But I was stupid and didn't save the website and can't find it again : /

But yeah, visual and auditory disturbances, depending on severity, have you closing in on to having medical DT's, with just a few other symptoms to have the medical definition of DT's. So I'm glad you seemed to have gotten past worst of it, but you should be ready for (milder) problems for while, and do everything you can to do relax, except alcohol or benzos or opioids obviously, (again, this is coming from an addict myself so I don't judge.)

It does seem like it should be more widely known and part of standard classes for everyone, to take big thiamine dosages and a multivitamin or as well for alcoholics, since it's such an easy fix to at least stop part of the problems of alcohol. I will say you said this isn't the first time you've had this. IF, and I hope you don't, but if you relapse, withdrawals tend to get worse each time they occur, so just be careful. And props to you for being a paramedic, I know that's one tough job, and even the people in the ER see the patient after some things you've already done have already fixed or cleaned certain traumas, someone may have sustained in a car accident for example. So good luck, glad you got some sleep. I've had moderate - severe insomnia for about 15 years or so, and it's hell when untreated by my meds or they don't happen to work that night, even when not detoxing. If I was you, even quitting my relatively mild opioid the addiction, the insomnia is one of the things that make me crack pretty quickly, even if I'm trying to taper, not even CT.

Anyway, glad you've made it though the worst, and yeah, there's a reason RN's, MDs, and I assume paramedics have a higher rate of addiction and suicides than the general population. Even the strongest rocks can be broken, and we have the knowledge and access to get some pretty serious drugs, and the knowledge to use them "safely", though depending on the drug it just takes one mistake and you're done. And props again for being a paramedic, I'm not sure I'd last long at that job. Watching someone die with a 12 or so person team doing everything they can is bad enough. Coming upon a scene with multiple fatalities and people sobbing and screaming in pain for their own injuries and their dead loved ones dead besides them, thats F'ING TOUGH. I know that's not most calls, but how ever often it happens it would probably make me lose control with other things besides a mild opioid, and that mild opioid use would definitely skyrocket. You guys/girls deserve medals sometimes. Good luck dude