• Psychedelic Medicine

Alcohol Addiction | +80 articles

mr peabody

Bluelight Crew
peyote.jpg

The beneficial effects of LSD on alcoholism

by Nick Collins

In the 60s and 70s several clinics ran trials to determine whether LSD could help alcoholics overcome their dependence with varying degrees of success. The supervisors of one trial noted: It was rather common for patients to claim significant insights into their problems, and to feel that they had been given a new lease on life, and to make a strong resolution to discontinue their drinking.

None of the experiments featured enough patients to draw any firm conclusions, but now a reanalysis of all the data taken together, totaling 536 patients, suggests the treatment could have potential after all. The new study published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology found that LSD had a positive effect on alcohol misuse in each of the trials, with 59 per cent of patients who took the drug having improved at follow-up, compared with 38 per cent who took a placebo. A single dose of LSD produces benefits which last between six and 12 months, and repeated doses along with modern treatments could ensure longer term results, the researchers said.

The drug, which causes hallucinations that make users experience the world in a distorted way, is not physically addictive but some experts believe users can become dependent on its effects, for example from a need to distance themselves from reality.

Johansen, Norwegian researcher and fellow of Harvard Medical School, who led the research, said: Given the evidence for a beneficial effect of LSD on alcoholism, it is puzzling why this treatment approach has been largely overlooked.

Dr David Nutt, former advisor on drugs to the government, said: I think this study is very interesting and it is a shame the last of these studies were done in the 1960s. I think these drugs might help people switch out of a mindset which is locked into addiction or depression and be a way of helping the brain switch back to where it should be, in a similar way that Alcoholics Anonymous programs do.

Last edited:
img.jpg

Can LSD cure society's alcohol problem?

by Patrick Smith | The Third Wave | 21 Jun 2017

Alcohol abuse is one of the biggest health problems in the world.

Alcohol is highly addictive, highly toxic, and does unrivaled damage to society. In the US, tens of thousands die from alcohol-related disease every year, making it the fourth-highest preventable cause of death. Alcohol abuse costs the US over $200 billion a year, and EU countries pay around 125 billion a year over 1% of these countries GDPs.

Worldwide, alcohol misuse is the leading cause of premature death for 15-49 year olds. In 2010, Professor David Nutt and a panel of experts ranked alcohol as the most harmful drug in the UK, in terms of both its harm to users and others. Alcohol addiction is powerful, dangerous and deadly.

Angel in disguise

Ironically, hope for treating alcoholism could lie in a drug that government regards as one of the most dangerous in existence; LSD. After its discovery as a psychedelic drug in the 1960s, LSD was used by therapists who thought its effects could help treat problems like depression and addiction. When LSD was classed as an illegal drug, its use in therapy dwindled, and research into its potentially healing properties was stifled.

Although LSD research is still possible today, its extremely expensive and highly restricted; costs increase tenfold compared to trials on unrestricted compounds, and jumping the necessary hurdles can take many years. Before LSD was made illegal, a considerable amount of research was published in the 60s and early 70s, when it was still easy to obtain and therapists were convinced of its medical value.

Recently, two scientists decided to look back on six of these studies to see if there is really any merit in using LSD as a treatment for alcoholism.

The research is out there

Krebs & Johansen found 6 randomised controlled trials from the 60s and 70s that used LSD to treat alcoholism. They analysed the accuracy and design of the trials, to ensure that there was no experimenter bias or messy science. They then attempted to merge the results of the six trials, to see if LSD really did help patients recover from alcoholism.

The six trials were mostly similar; they had all recruited alcoholics who were looking for treatment, the participants had no underlying mental health conditions, and patients were randomised into control or treatment groups. The studies varied in how LSD was administered; dose varied from 200-800ug. Participants also received variable support throughout the experiment, with some having access to psychotherapy during the experience, and others being given very little information about LSDs effects and left without any guidance. All the studies measured the participants alcoholism in similar ways, using tests of alcohol dependence and misuse.

Pooling the results from these 6 studies, Krebs & Johansen found that LSD treatment significantly reduced participants alcohol misuse, and improved their attempts at abstinence from alcohol, compared to control groups.

Overall, 59% of participants who had undergone LSD treatment improved in alcohol misuse scores, compared to 38% of control participants, which was highly statistically significant. After six months, 40% of LSD treated participants had abstained from alcohol, compared to only 28% of control participants; again, a highly significant result. After 12 months, the effects had mostly worn off, with participants returning to control group levels of alcohol misuse; but this initial benefit of LSD treatment on alcoholism is considerably greater than any currently available treatment!

There is something remarkable about this meta-analysis; despite six trials having drastically different approaches to LSD administration, they all showed that LSD treatment has a positive effect on alcoholism. Although the effects only lasted a year, its possible that more frequent and more controlled LSD-assisted psychotherapy could produce a prolonged recovery from alcoholism.

Last edited:
[VIDEO] Ben Sessa | Using MDMA to treat alcoholism: A UK study

This talk will outline briefly the historical treatment of addictions with psychedelics and the burden of alcohol abuse in society. I will describe the impact of trauma in cases of addictions and outline the pharmacological and therapeutic effects of MDMA and why it could be useful to treat alcoholism. Then I describe the project we are starting in Bristol, UK, developing a study to provide a course of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for adults post-alcohol detox. I will describe the challenges associated with this sort of work and the importance of psychedelics therapies for the future of psychiatry.

-----

[VIDEO] Robert Rhatigan | Ayahuasca for alcohol addiction

Robert Rhatigan is a Research Scientist at the University of New Mexico. Robert Rhatigan struggled with alcoholism for over ten years. When numerous attempts to overcome addiction through will-power and conventional treatment failed, he traveled to the Peruvian Amazon for treatment from local shamans. After four challenging ceremonies with a purgative, psychedelic plant medicine his desire for alcohol dissolved and a quest to understand his transformation began.

28220245083_0e79aa1921_b.jpg

Cambridge

Scientists discover key neural circuit regulating alcohol consumption

University of North Carolina | Neuroscience News | Dec 13 2019

Specific neurons in the central nucleus of the amygdala regulate alcohol consumption.

Scientists have known that a region of the brain called the central nucleus of the amygdala (CeA) plays a role in behaviors related to alcohol use and consumption in general. It’s been less known which precise populations of brain cells and their projections to other brain regions mediate these behaviors. Now, UNC School of Medicine scientists discovered that specific neurons in the CeA contribute to reward-like behaviors, alcohol consumption in particular.

Published in the Journal of Neuroscience, this research pinpoints a specific neural circuit that when altered caused animal models to drink less alcohol.

“The fact that these neurons promote reward-like behavior, that extremely low levels of alcohol consumption activate these cells, and that activation of these neurons drive alcohol drinking in animals without extensive prior drinking experience suggests that they may be important for early alcohol use and reward,” said senior author Zoe McElligott, PhD, assistant professor of psychiatry and pharmacology.

“It’s our hope that by understanding the function of this circuit, we can better predict what happens in the brains of people who transition from casual alcohol use to subsequent abuse of alcohol, and the development of alcohol use disorders.”

McElligott, who is also a member of the UNC Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies, set out to investigate if a population of neurons that express a specific neuropeptide (neurotensin or NTS) contributes to reward-like behaviors and alcohol drinking. She was especially interested in these neurons in the context of inexperienced alcohol use, such as when a person first begins to drink alcohol. Also, NTS neurons are a subpopulation of other neurons in this CeA brain region that have been implicated in anxiety and fear – known as the somatostatin and corticotropin releasing factor neurons.

Using modern genetic and viral technologies in male mice, McElligott and colleagues found that selectively lesioning or ablating the NTS neurons in the CeA, while maintaining other types of CeA neurons, would cause the animals to drink less alcohol. This manipulation did not alter anxiety-like behavior. It also did not affect the consumption of other palatable liquids such as sucrose, saccharin, and bitter quinine solutions.

“We found that these NTS neurons in the CeA send a strong projection to the hindbrain, where they inhibit the parabrachial nucleus, near the brainstem,” McElligott said.

Using optogenetics – a technique where light activates these neurons – the researchers stimulated the terminal projections of the CeA-NTS neurons in the parabrachial and found that this stimulation inhibited the neurons in the parabrachial. When the scientists stimulated this projection with a laser in one half of the animal’s box, animals would spend more time where the stimulation would occur.

Animals also learned to perform a task to get the laser stimulation to turn on, and they would do this repeatedly, suggesting that they found this stimulation to be rewarding.

“Furthermore, when we stimulated this projection, animals would drink more alcohol as compared to when they had an opportunity to drink alcohol without laser stimulation,” McElligott said. “In contrast to our study where we ablated the NTS neurons, laser stimulation of this parabrachial pathway also caused the animals to consume caloric and non-caloric sweetened beverages. When the animals were presented with regular food and a sweet food, however, laser stimulation did not enhance the consumption regardless of the mouse’s hunger state. This suggests that different circuits may regulate the consumption of rewarding fluids and solids.”

McElligott and her graduate student María Luisa Torruella Suarez, the first author of this study, hope to explore how alcohol experience may change these neurons over time.

“Would these cells respond differently after animals have been drinking high quantities of alcohol over time?” McElligott said. “We also want to discover which populations of neurons in the parabrachial are receiving inputs from these neurons. Fully understanding this circuit could be the key to developing therapeutics to help people with alcohol use disorders.”

Last edited:
800px-Shulgin_sasha_2011_hanna_jon.jpg

LSD as a treatment for alcoholism

by Arran Frood | RealClearScience | 8 Mar 2012

The powerful psychedelic LSD has potential as a treatment for alcoholism, according to a retrospective analysis of studies published in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

The study, by neuroscientist Teri Krebs and clinical psychologist Prjan Johansen of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, is the first-ever quantitative meta-analysis of LSD-alcoholism clinical trials. The researchers sifted through thousands of records to collect data from randomized, double-blind trials that compared one dose of LSD to a placebo.

Of 536 participants in six trials, 59% of people receiving LSD reported lower levels of alcohol misuse, compared to 38% of people who received a placebo. We were surprised that the effect was so clear and consistent, says Krebs. She says that the problem with most studies done at that time was that there were too few participants, which limited statistical power. But when you combine the data in a meta-analysis, we have more than 500 patients and there is definitely an effect, she says. In general, the reported benefits lasted three to six months. Their findings are published today in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

Psychedelics were promoted by psychiatrists in the 1950s as having a range of medical uses -- to treat conditions such as schizophrenia, for example -- before political pressures in the United States and elsewhere largely ended the work. Alcoholism was considered one of the most promising clinical applications for LSD, says Johansen. Alcoholics Anonymous co-founder Bill Wilson is said to have espoused the benefits of LSD in the book Pass It On: The Story of Bill Wilson and How the AA Message Reached the World.

In the last decade or so, however, a new generation of researchers have been interested in harnessing the therapeutic benefits of illicit drugs -- such as MDMA for post-traumatic stress disorder, ayahuasca for drug and alcohol dependency, and psilocybin, the active ingredient in hallucinogenic mushrooms, for smoking cessation.

A snow globe of perception?

How psychedelics exert such effects, especially after a single dose, remains unclear. LSD and its chemical cousins share structural similarities with the neurotransmitter serotonin, which is linked to many aspects of mood, memory and pleasure. These psychedelics also bind the same receptor sites in the brain as serotonin, but there the similarity may end -- studies have shown that the hallucinogens elicit chemical cascades different from other compounds that bind at the same receptor. To complicate matters further, LSD also acts at other receptors.

For the moment, studying human behavioural responses rather than brain chemistry may be more helpful in understanding how the drugs work. Robin Carhart-Harris, a psychopharmacologist at Imperial College London who has researched how psilocybin could treat depression, says that psychedelics must work at both biological and psychological levels. Psychedelics probably work in addiction by making the brain function more chaotically for a period -- a bit like shaking up a snow globe -- weakening reinforced brain connections and dynamics, he says.

Roland Griffiths, a behavioural biologist at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, is investigating the influence of psilocybin on smoking cessation, and says that psychedelics sometimes give rise to distinctive, insightful experiences that can produce enduring positive changes in attitude, mood and behaviour.

This is impressive and important work, says Matthew Johnson, a psychiatrist also at Johns Hopkins University who is now running a small trial looking at the effectiveness of psilocybin to treat nicotine addiction. Although this meta-analysis does not replace the need to test the approach in new, well-designed and rigorous clinical trials, it puts some more muscle behind the interpretation that the older literature shows hints that psychedelic therapy might really help addiction.

However, Ken Checinski, a consultant addiction psychiatrist and independent researcher based in London, says that although the results are exciting, no pharmacological treatment should be seen as a magic bullet and that modern therapeutic techniques have improved. The LSD trials pre-date the use of psychological techniques such as motivational interviewing and cognitive behaviour therapy, he says.

images-71.jpeg

Depression, Alcoholism, and Ayahuasca

by Erica Baran Fasano

The day of my ayahuasca ceremony finally arrived. I had never been so excited to get there, get started, and get it over with. The two months leading up to this day had been like the 12 days of Christmas. I was dying to open up my beautifully wrapped presents under the tree. Except, this was a different type of unwrapping altogether. As my friends and I arrived to the ceremonial space, we were greeted by other participants sitting on their beds on the floor alongside their buckets facing the shamans alter. My friends and I turned towards each other as I said, "What the hell did I get us into?" But, there was no turning back now. It was go time. We set up our beds and buckets at our assigned seats. The ceremony started promptly at 5pm.

The shaman sat down, welcomed the newcomers as there had been a ceremony the evening prior. He briefly explained how he was going to dose and serve the Ayahuasca over the course of the ceremony. We are asked to state our intentions before our first serving of the medicine. Then, we begin. I sat in between by friends as we prepare to to take our doses. I have never been so terrified. Little did I realize that this night was about to change the rest of my life forever. After everyone received their serving, we now wait for the medicine to take effect. The shaman begins chanting and singing Icaros. These are songs sung in Spanish to the spirits of plants to help them start taking effect.

About 30-40 minutes into the ceremony, I feel the presence of the Mother inside of every cell of my body. She has come to sit with me. I felt her gently coursing through my veins, my stomach, and my mind. I felt an ultimate surrender and laid down on my bed. Then, I felt the most intense wave of nausea hit me and began to purge into my bucket. It felt amazing to throw up and I continued to do so for about an hour. I felt all of my fears, insecurities, traumas, depression, doubts, anxieties, and addictions being flung out of my body mercilessly into the bottom my bucket. I felt freedom from it all! I looked at all of the demons in my bucket and said goodbye forever. After my hour of purging came to end, I began to sob uncontrollably for another hour. I had been filled with intense gratitude, compassion and love. I felt myself as a child being held in my mothers arms rocking me back and forth hearing the words "It is ok. I'm with you and I am not leaving your side. You take as much time as you need to cry. You need this.

The Mother was consoling me as I was being shown my life in chronological order, its geneology, down to the roots of each generation. I was shown the pain and its origins in my family tree and kept saying "Thank you" repeatedly. I felt like I was wrapped in a blanket of unconditional love, so safe, so grateful. I clung to my blanket and pillow like they were my only possessions and felt immense gratitude for having them to hold. I felt myself going from repeatedly saying "Thank you," to "I'm sorry." I felt all the pain inside of myself, my family, my past choices and the pain they caused others, and the pain that my family carries unknowingly. I felt one with it all. I was seeing it through compassionate, loving, and truthful eyes for the first time in my life.

I finally understood the root cause of it all. I suddenly felt touched by a blissful feeling I had never experienced but always knew existed. I tuned back into the beautiful Icaros permeating the room, connecting me deeper to my Mother. I sat up and began to rock back and forth in delight. The sun was setting and the fire was radiating a glowing warmth throughout the room. I felt in love. I felt loved. I felt safe. I felt free. I felt so grateful. I felt forgiven. I felt whole again. For the next several hours of the ceremony, I was in conversation with the Mother. It was like a Q & A session, hearing her give me answers to questions Ive been seeking out for what felt like an eternity. It was like I was being rewarded for all the hard work and preparation leading up to this moment. I continued to unwrap my gifts one at a time slowly, savoring each second. I was so in each moment that it was almost impossible to think of anything else. She wouldnt allow for it. She had my commanded my undivided attention in such a seductive way, like a snake slithering rhythmically through the jungle that resides inside my body.

I felt her presence starting to fade slowly, not wanting to part with her yet. I could have stayed there with her forever. Before she slipped away for the evening, I heard her say to me, "We are just getting started. I will be here when you are ready to come back. We have more to do." I felt like I was just made love to and couldn't wait for it to happen again. It was the most amazing and most profound experience of my life. It was difficult to sleep that night as I was overloaded on processing all the new information I had just been gifted. I went outside and looked up at the stars in the night sky and cried. I felt overwhelmed with a sense of accomplishment. That I had just done something so important and life changing. My life was forever changed this night. I looked up, understanding everything, but not sure how to use this new set of vocabulary and context. I knew I had my work cut out for me in the life that was waiting for me back home.

The next 3 months ahead of me, post-ceremony, packed a brutal punch. It was the transition and integration that proved to be the toughest part of it all. The ceremony seemed like a walk in the park in hindsight. I found that the plant medicine was continuing its work within the real world. I had some hard times, profound shifts, hard conversations, and found myself retreating inward to make sense of what I just did to my life. I turned it completely upside down, inside out, sideways and every which way. I felt alive again. I felt in love again with myself and my life. My consciousness was completely shifted. I was able to see all the same things with a new set of eyes, perspective and a whole new vocabulary to describe them. My depression was non-existent. I had developed a physical aversion to alcohol anytime I saw it. Remembering the part of the ceremony where the Mother showed why I do not need alcohol anymore. She explained that I used it as a coping method as well as self-medication for a very long time. I no longer needed that as Im entering a new frontier of my life that doesn't have room for that.

Its been 13 months since to took my last drink as well as being off anti-depressants. And, Ive lost over 30 pounds. Talk about a snake shedding its old skin! My love affair with alcohol, deep in the throes of depression, seems like a lifetime ago. I've been given a true gift of living a life in transformation. I have absolutely no cravings for alcohol. My creativity is off the charts. I've been gifted with a profound and prolific time of creativity in my life. It's bubbling over with a new joy, meaning, and application. I've found a new love for my life, my art, my music, my wife, my family, and my friends. I'm in love again for the first time as I found a new relationship in my life. This new relationship has removed the veil that was once shrouded with guilt, unworthiness, self- loathing, suffering and death. I have a new life filled with unconditional love, endless support, prolific creativity, deeper meaning and purpose in my relationships and a new found self-love and a relentless self-worth. I am truly grateful for having been given another chance at my life. I am beyond humbled to share my story with others so that it may reach those who are in need of a new perspective on how to live again. You are not limited to your diagnosis. You can see it as a life sentence as I once did. Or, you can see it as a shiny new gift placed at the center of your heart, . awaiting its opening.

Groffs_SB.jpg

Ketamine Treatment for Alcoholism*

Evgeny Krupitsky, MD, PhD, chief of the research laboratory at St. Petersburg Regional Center of Addictions and Psychopharmacology, has been researching the treatment of alcoholism with ketamine since the 1980s and hopes to extend his research to encompass post-traumatic stress disorder in the near future. In 1985, he developed ketamine psychedelic therapy - which was initially merely a method for increasing suggestibility and enhancing aversive treatment for alcoholism - publishing his first report on the method in 1992.

He found that ketamine induced total abstinence in 66% of his alcoholic patients for up to a year. He observed improvement in personality profile, positive transformation of self-concept and emotional attitudes to various aspects of self, positive changes in life values, and improved spiritual development in the ketamine group. Krupitsky posited nine factors:

1. Stable, positive psychological changes.
2. Personality growth and self-cognition.
3. Important insights into existential problems and the meaning of life.
4. Transformation of ones life value system.
5. A change of view of ones self and the world around.
6. Insight into life and death.
7. A rise of creative energies.
8. Broadening of spiritual horizons.
9. Harmonization of a persons relationships with the world and with other people.

In 1991, another Soviet psychiatrist, Igor Kungurtsev MD, who initially worked with Krupitsky and later immigrated to the United States, published a summary of his own experiences treating alcoholism with ketamine.

Although he initially felt that ketamine simply made alcohol aversive in a purely behavioral way, Kungurtsey radically changed his approach following a series of ketamine self-administrations and instead It is gratifying to see that NIMH is following MAPS lead in supporting the treatment of psychiatric disorders with psychedelic drugs adopted a transpersonal model for therapy in order to better utilize the profound mystical experiences induced by ketamine. He found that successful treatment of alcoholism with ketamine was correlated with a changed spiritual outlook.

*From Ketamine: Peril and Promise by R. Andrew Sewell, MD​

Last edited:
drinking-a-glass.jpg

Single shot of ketamine may herald 'last call' for problem drinking*

by Deborah Brauser | Medscape | Dec 11 2019

An experimental treatment that includes a single infusion of ketamine may lead to long-term improvement in problem drinking, new research suggests.

In an study of 90 heavy drinkers, those who received a single dose of intravenous (IV) ketamine plus cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) that focused on reactivating drinking-related 'maladaptive reward memories' (MRMs) significantly curbed the urge to drink and reduced alcohol intake compared with those who received the ketamine alone or a placebo infusion.

In addition, the combination group reduced their average weekly alcohol consumption by 50% over 9 months of follow-up.

MRMs can cause the brain's reward-learning system to produce an exaggerated desire to take a drug. However, the ketamine plus CBT intervention worked to 'reboot' the brain, in order to relearn healthy associations. "This is a first demonstration of a very simple approach," lead investigator Ravi Das, PhD, associate professor, University College London (UCL) Clinical Psychopharmacology Unit, United Kingdom, told Medscape Medical News.

"We hope that with more research into optimizing the method, this could turn into a helpful treatment for excessive drinking, or potentially for other drug addictions," Ravi added.

Hijacking the brain

MRMs are 'central to drug and alcohol addiction,' the investigators note.

"Drug abuse hijacks the brain's in-built reward-learning system so that you end up associating environmental 'triggers' with the drug," Das said.

"Unfortunately, once these reward memories are established, it's very difficult to re-learn more healthy associations, but it's vital in order to prevent relapse," he added. "We were interested in the processes underlying why people react and the main thing seems to be these learned responses to their environment."

"It's a bit like Pavlov's dog,"
a famous research subject who learned to associate the reward of food with the ringing of a bell, which induced salivation, he said.

"Humans have the same kind of automatic learning process. So we were looking at ways to break those associations, and one of the most promising methods is this process of memory reconsolidation," Das added.

In addition, because destabilized memories rely on an N-methyl D-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) mediated protein cascade to re-stabilize themselves, adjunctive ketamine, an NMDAR antagonist, was added to the protocol.

"The main reason we were interested in using ketamine is because we knew it blocks this receptor. And we thought we could use it as a tool to weaken alcohol memories," Das said.

Heavy drinkers

Ninety individuals (61% men; mean age, 27 years) with harmful drinking behavior, but without a formal diagnosis of alcohol use disorder, were enrolled in the study. All had a score greater than 8 on the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test.

Participants consumed an average of 74 units of alcohol (8 g) per week, five times the recommended limit. Participants preferred beer, and so 74 units was the equivalent of 30 pints of beer per week.

In the study, all were given a glass of beer, told they could not drink it until they finished a task, and were then asked to rate the intensity of their urge to drink.

Participants also rated their anticipated pleasure after seeing images of beer and other alcoholic drinks. This process focused on retrieving reward memories associated with beer drinking.

Baseline drinking urges were determined on Day 1 when the participants were permitted to drink the beer. On Day 3, the beer was unexpectedly taken away in order to destabilize a retrieved reward memory.

"Typically the brain would then undergo an active process to re-stabilize and store the memory. However, ketamine prevents this memory re-storage process by blocking a receptor in the brain needed to re-stabilize memories," the researchers noted in the release.

Immediately after the beer was removed, one third of study participants received an IV infusion of ketamine hydrochloride, while another third received a saline placebo infusion. The remaining third received the ketamine infusion but without going through the memory retrieval procedure. All participants underwent blood draws before, and after, the infusions.

Long-term improvement

Results at the 10-day follow-up showed that compared with the other two groups, the ketamine plus memory retrieval group had significant reductions in "urge to drink" ratings.

They also showed pre-drink reductions in their anticipated enjoyment of beer and in actual enjoyment after drinking the beer. They also experienced a reduction in weekly alcohol consumption, and had a significant reduction in binges, defined as more than 6 drinks per weeks.

All three groups decreased their drinking behavior over the 9-month follow-up period. However, the ketamine plus memory retrieval group had greater initial improvement than the other groups, and a greater overall improvement over time.

Both ketamine groups significantly reduced their drinking volume at the 9-month assessment, but only the combination group lowered their total number of drinking days and bingeing behavior.

Finally, blood levels of ketamine predicted beneficial changes in drinking behaviors — but only after MRM reactivation.

"Overall, we found that heavy drinkers experienced a long-term improvement after a very quick and simple experimental treatment," Das said.

"An advantage of our study, alongside the pronounced, long-term effect on drinking, is that it's based on a strong understanding of how the drug is working in the brain to achieve its effect," senior author Sunjeev Kamboj, also from the UCL Clinical Psychopharmacology Unit, said in the release.

Das admitted that he was somewhat surprised that the process worked.

"I've been doing research in this field for about 10 years, and you get used to expecting not much because getting people to change their behavior around drug use is very difficult," he said.

"So seeing their findings was a pleasant surprise," Das noted. However, he cautioned "this is still an experimental procedure and more research is needed before any recommendations can be made."

In addition to looking into whether they can replicate the findings in a large clinical trial, the investigators hope to assess whether other, more noninvasive drugs may be helpful and whether the treatment regimen is effective in conditions such as PTSD.

'Promising hypothesis'

Commenting on the study for Medscape Medical News, George Koob, PhD, director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), said "the findings open a promising hypothesis that should be tested further."

"There are multiple aspects of treatment for alcohol use disorder, one of which is behavioral treatments,"
Koob said. "If the results of this bear out in other studies, this particular intervention "could be a great add-on to the armamentarium," he said.

"Similarly, we're always looking for medications that will help. And both of those are woven into the fabric of this paper," Koob said.

However, he added "ketamine itself can be a major drug of abuse."

"Ketamine itself may not be the 'drug of drugs,' but the target that they are hypothesizing, working through the glutamatergic system, may indeed be a very good target,"
Koob said.

He noted "the behavioral part of the investigators' process has demonstrated efficacy in animal studies."

"So this is a very nice confirmation that you can trigger craving and, by manipulating that craving, decrease drinking in humans,"
he said.

Koob added "the combination of a behavioral therapy, of which there could be others, plus a drug "could be potentially powerful."

*From the article here:

fef631cb-0b09-4b8a-baf4-183365affaa4-psychedelics-2.jpg

The rebirth of psychedelic treatment for alcoholism

Alcohol-free Social Life

Using psychedelics as a treatment for alcoholism is nothing new. Since the 1950’s scientists have put their time and effort into researching how psychedelics work and finding their practical applications in modern medicine.

However, because of legal issues and government regulations, our knowledge of psychedelics, including their potential in treating drug and alcohol addiction, is limited.

With recent FDA approval for clinical trials on MDMA as a form of psychiatric therapy, the conversation surrounding psychedelic drugs as medicine has once again taken the spotlight.

The return of research into psychedelics is moving slowly, with many new drugs showing potential in treating alcoholism. These new findings expand on historical research that was once considered novel.

The Advent of LSD for Alcoholism: Humphry Osmond was the first major psychiatric pioneer in the field of psychedelic treatment for alcoholism. During the 1950’s and 1960’s, Osmond conducted experiments treating alcoholics with LSD a potent psychedelic discovered in 1938.

By the late 1960’s Osmond, along with his colleague Abram Hoffer, had treated over 2,000 individuals with LSD to see how it would affect their alcohol addiction.

The results were very promising. 40-45 percent of their patients were still sober after a one-year period—great results for any alcohol rehabilitation study.

Why were the results so promising? LSD and other psychedelics work differently than other drug and alcohol treatments. Rather than addressing the addiction on a mostly physical level, psychedelics deal with the underlying causes of the addiction.

Often, addiction stems from underlying trauma that an addict is trying to avoid or numb. Sometimes the addict isn’t even aware of this trauma.

Psychedelics put the brain in a much more accepting state. Many addicts are able to come to terms with their past and present and learn to deal with their addictions, and the reason for their addictions, in a much more positive way.

This gives addicts and alcoholics the ability to move forward in a new way, something that is often not dealt with through traditional drug rehabilitation programs.

Osmond’s findings and the potential implications for psychedelics were part of a rising tide of research at the time. But just as LSD was gaining traction in the medical field, it was also becoming a massive part of the hippy movement.

The associations with psychedelic drugs led to a backlash against their use. And, by 1968, LSD and many other psychedelic drugs were made illegal. The FDA labeled them as having no medicinal value and research into LSD as a treatment for disease and addiction came to an abrupt end.

And with that, significant research into any psychedelic medicines was put on a shelf for almost 50 years.

A New Wave of Psychedelic Study: A resurgence of psychedelic medicine for treating mental disorders has been underway since early this decade. This is mostly due to funding and scientific education led by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, or MAPS.

Although their biggest breakthrough has been in the use of MDMA (street name “Ecstasy”) in treating those suffering from PTSD, this may push open the doorway into more clinical uses for psychedelic medicines in drug and alcohol addiction.

There are many psychedelic drugs that have shown promise over the years—including LSD. However, let’s take a brief look at some of the other psychedelic drugs that have the potential to treat alcoholism.

Psilocybin: Found in “magic mushrooms” all around the world, psilocybin is the active alkaloid that causes psychedelic experiences in the brain. There is a little scientific study to support psilocybin as a treatment for alcoholism. However, there have been studies very recently showing psilocybin and its positive effects on helping treat those addicted to smoking tobacco.

Often, if a drug has a positive effect on one addiction, it may be suitable for others. Utilizing psilocybin for treating alcoholism may not be around the corner, but it has been building attention and more scientific studies are likely to occur in the future.

Ayahuasca: Mostly promoted by breakthrough addiction scientist Dr Gabor Mata, ayahuasca is a native Peruvian plant with strong psychoactive properties. Dr. Mata believes that the ayahuasca vine, along with its psychedelic element, can help those struggling with addiction find their past trauma and deal with it effectively.

Once again, scientific study and scope have been very limited. However, modern scientists are beginning to show how ayahuasca might be able to heal, repair, and protect brain cells. This makes ayahuasca a likely candidate for treating serious addiction while also healing damage to the brain caused by past abuse.

Ibogaine: Ibogaine is known as the “waking dream.” Found in western Africa, Ibogaine is an alkaloid extracted from the root bark of the Tabernanthe Iboga plant. Ibogaine is a powerful psychedelic that has been mostly recognized for its potential to eliminate heroin and opiate withdrawals. Many addicts and alcoholics have sought treatment for their addictions by traveling to Ibogaine clinics outside of the United States.

However, like other psychedelics, little US-based research has been done on Ibogaine as a treatment for alcoholism. And, although many claim to have benefited from Ibogaine treatment, the future legality for Ibogaine and other psychedelics in modern US medicine is still unlikely.

The hope is that psychedelic medicine can find its proper place. Through rigorous scientific study and clinical testing, we may finally determine if these psychedelic compounds actually fit into the category of “medicine.”

The truth is that many are struggling with alcoholism. These individuals want to find peace, they want to find success in life, and they want to find freedom in sobriety.

However, the USA offers very little variety by way of drug and alcohol rehabilitation.

What works for one person may not work for another. We should be continuing to explore new, effective ways to treat alcoholism based on scientific results, and not shy away from possibilities that could save lives.

https://www.alcoholfreesociallife.co...or-alcoholism/

giphy.gif

Ketamine therapy could treat alcohol addiction

by Hannah Devlin | The Guardian | 24 Jan 2017

A one-off dose of the drug could help alcohol addicts reduce their intake by ‘erasing’ drink-related memories, say psychologists testing treatment.

Scientists believe that a radical treatment involving the tranquilizer Ketamine could help overcome alcohol addiction by “erasing” drink-related memories.

Psychologists based at University College London are testing whether a one-off dose of the drug could help hazardous drinkers who are trying to reduce their alcohol intake. Alcohol addiction is notoriously difficult to treat, and there are few effective therapies available.

Using a recreational drug to treat addiction may sound counterintuitive, but the researchers say there is a growing body of research suggesting that ketamine can be used to disrupt harmful patterns of behaviour.

Ravi Das, one of the lead researchers, said: “There is evidence that it could be useful as a treatment for alcoholism.”

Crucially, ketamine can disrupt the formation of memories, and scientists believe that this property could be harnessed to over-write the memories that drive addiction and harmful patterns of behavior.

“Memories that you form can be hijacked by drugs in some people,” said Das. “If you were an alcoholic you might have a strong memory of being in a certain place and wanting to drink. Those memories get continuously triggered by things in the environment that you can’t avoid.”

For instance, seeing a glass of beer, hearing the clinking of glasses or even arriving home from work may trigger memories of the rewarding sensation of taking a drink – and might prompt a person to follow this urge.

“The main problem is the really high relapse rate after treatment,” said Das. “People can successfully quit using over the short term while they’re being monitored in the hospital ... but when they return home they’re exposed to those environmental triggers again.”

There is increasing evidence, however, that memories are less stable than once assumed and may be open to manipulation.

Each time our brain accesses a memory, the neural connections that encode it are temporarily destabilized, meaning that our recollection can be slightly altered before it goes back into storage. This is one reason why, in everyday life, people can recall wildly different versions of the same events.

In the clinic, scientists believe this short period of instability, represents a window of opportunity. Ketamine blocks a brain receptor called NMDA, which is required for the formation of memories. So the logic is that giving someone the drug just as a memory has been destabilized could help weaken the memory, or even erase it.

A similar approach with a different drug was shown to eradicate people’s phobia of spiders. And research in rats that were made to be addicted to cocaine showed that the memories underpinning their addiction could be completely wiped out using a similar strategy (although this involved injecting a chemical into the brain).

In the UCL trial, the scientists will intentionally trigger alcohol-related memories by placing a glass of beer in front of the participants, who are all heavy drinkers. They will then disrupt the memory, by surprising the participant (the team is not disclosing the exact details as this could bias the results).

Participants will then be given either a ketamine infusion, with a concentration equivalent to a high recreational dose, or a placebo. The team will follow up the people for a year and monitor whether their drinking has changed and by how much.

In total the scientists are aiming to include 90 people in the trial and more than 50 have already taken part. It involves people who drink harmful quantities of alcohol, but excludes anyone who meets the clinical criteria for alcoholism. The participants were drinking at least 40 units a week for men (equivalent to four bottles of strong wine) and 28 units for women, and drinking on at least four days.

Nikki, 31, who works as a consultant in London said she decided to take part in the study when she had some time off between jobs and realised she was drinking more than she wanted to. “It’s just in the culture, that’s what all my friends are like. Everyone drinks to excess,” she said.

She described the experience of being given the ketamine as “overwhelming and intense”, but not unpleasant. “My body felt like it was melting away,” she said. “It was quite psychedelic, I felt untethered from my body.”

In the week after the session, she said, she felt in an “incredibly positive mood” and that since taking part she has been more conscious about deciding whether to have a drink, although said this could also be linked to starting a new job and taking up meditation. “In the past, there were occasions where I would be drinking and I’d be on autopilot ‘Let’s get another drink’,” she said.

If the trial yields promising results, the team hope that the approach could form the basis for therapy sessions targeted at alcoholics and people who are drinking unhealthily. However, they acknowledge that there may be resistance to the use of a recreational drug to treat people with addiction.

“There’s just the general social attitude that everything that’s illegal is terrible. There will obviously be that kind of narrow-sighted pushback,” said Das. “But if it’s safe and effective enough it should be recommended.”

Andrew Misell, a spokesman for Alcohol Concern, said: “The researchers have quite rightly highlighted what a lot of people in recovery from alcohol problems know from experience, namely that cues or triggers like the smell of beer can cause a relapse even after long periods of abstinence. Any work looking at how people can overcome these pitfalls is going to be useful.”

However, he added, no drug-based therapy is risk-free “and that certainly includes ketamine.”

Professor Michael Saladin, of the Medical University of South Carolina, is looking at similar approaches to help people quit smoking. “There is a vast animal research literature that suggests memories can be manipulated following reactivation,” he said. “I am convinced that there is sufficient evidence to believe that memory reconsolidation can be harnessed for clinical purposes.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...erase-memories

psychedelic-alcoholism-treatment.jpg

Treating alcohol addiction with psychedelics

by Wesley Thoricatha | Psychedelic Times | 28 Aug 2015

Alcoholism is a terrible disease that can be destructive to health, career, and family; it can also be fatal. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention reports that nearly 88,000 people die from alcohol-related causes every year, making it the 3rd-highest preventable cause of death in the US. Traditional alcohol recovery programs can help, but alcohol addiction remains a serious issue spanning various age groups and income brackets.

Treating alcoholism through psychedelic therapy has been studied since the 1950s, and research continues today into the treatment potential of substances like LSD, psilocybin mushrooms, and ibogaine. The findings are encouraging and potentially life-changing for those who haven’t found relief through Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or traditional rehab programs.

Can LSD help reduce alcohol misuse?

Some of the first major LSD studies and experiments occurred during the 1960s. Scientists conducted randomized clinical trials on the effects of LSD treatment for alcoholism, but the results of those studies were largely ignored or forgotten following the post-60s psychedelics backlash.

Recently, Norwegian scientists Teri Krebs and Pal-Orjan Johansen decided to take a close look at this wealth of past data, and they conducted a meta-analysis of over 500 participants within six different clinical trials. Their findings, published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology in 2012, suggested that LSD could have a measurable positive effect on reducing alcohol misuse, even after a single dose.

More support for LSD in the treatment of alcoholism comes from Bill Wilson, the founder of AA. In his biography, Pass It On, Wilson talks about his experimentation with LSD and likens its transformational power to the spiritual awakening he had (that convinced him to stop drinking). He communicates in the book that LSD poses little risk for the majority of people, and that it can play an important role in breaking down one’s ego and allowing a lasting inner transformation to occur.

The power to create a peak experience that dissolves egoic patterns is certainly present in LSD, but it is also a common trait of many other psychedelic substances. In other words, there is an array of hallucinogens that may offer hope to those struggling with alcoholism.

Other psychedelic options for treating alcoholism

“These are unusual models in that it’s not like you take a pill every day for months or a year…You take a pill, you have an experience. The experience is powerful and insightful and rich.” -Dr. Stephen Ross, director of the alcohol and drug abuse program at Bellevue Hospital Center and lead psychedelics researcher at NYU Medical School.

Another recent study carried out by the University of New Mexico explored how psilocybin could be used to treat alcohol addiction. It found that, like LSD, psilocybin showed promise for patients wanting to reduce or eliminate their dependency on alcohol. Psilocybin may even offer advantages as a treatment option; it doesn’t share LSD’s social stigma, and the trip duration is shorter.

As a result of these encouraging studies, scientists, advocates, and organizations are pushing for more psychedelics research, to better understand the immense potential of psychedelic therapy in addiction recovery. Thanks to psychedelics like LSD and psilocybin, we are witnessing the dawn of an exciting new era in addiction treatment for alcoholism.

https://psychedelictimes.com/psilocy...delic-therapy/

photo-1536183801678-ecc5eaf42bf9

LSD Therapy for Alcohol Dependence

by Balázs Szigeti | Drug Reporter | 4 Apr 2016https://drogriporter.hu/en/author/bs307/

Here we take a look at a meta-analysis of using LSD therapy to treat alcoholism. Meta-analysis means that the study pools together data derived from multiple trials and re-analyses the combined evidence. The advantage is that the combined evidence reduces the statistical uncertainties, and permits more robust conclusions than any of the individual studies in isolation.

To study the effectiveness of LSD therapy for alcohol dependence, the authors had to first find the records of the relevant clinical trials. Most of the trials were either non-randomised or open label (patients knew whether they are in the control group or not). The standards for clinical trials have been raised since the sixties, and these practices are nowadays considered serious methodological flaws. Thus, the authors excluded these papers from their meta-analysis, and only included studies with randomised controlled trials, where the control group received some form of active treatment. Six eligible trials have been identified. Among these trials, several studies lacked a detailed description of how the patients were recruited, so selection bias could not be completely eliminated. Two of the trials, moreover, have a risk of bias as treatment allocation was only concealed until the end of the LSD session (before the follow-up sessions, patients knew whether they were in the treatment or control group). These are legitimate concerns, and they weaken the conclusion of the meta-analysis.

536 patients participated in the trials, with 325 (61 percent) randomly assigned to LSD treatment, and the remainder assigned to the control groups. In all of the trials, a single oral dose of LSD was administered. The median dose was 500ug, an extremely high dose in terms of recreational use (a typical blotter paper contains 120ug, although there are wide variations). The control conditions included active placebo, for example d-amphetamine, and very low doses of LSD (up to 50ug). Each of the trials had multiple follow-up sessions, where it was assessed whether the patient's alcohol problem had improved or not. The follow-up sessions were pooled together to form three time-categories: short (2-3 months), medium (6 months) and long term (12 months) follow-ups.

To summarise the effectiveness of the LSD treatment and the control groups, the odds ratio was calculated (at each follow-up session). Without getting too technical, the odds ratio is the quotient of the odds that a patient has improved in the treatment group and the probability that a patient has improved in the control group. If the odds ratio is > 1 then the treatment is favoured over the control and the higher its value is, the more effective is the treatment compared to control.

The difference between the LSD and control groups was statistically significant at the short- and medium-term, but not at the long-term follow-up. Looking at the odds ratios for different follow-up times, two observations should be made. The odds ratio suggests that LSD treatment is effective, but with its benefit diminishing with time. To account for the success, one study was quoted as saying that, it was rather common for patients to claim significant insight into their problems, to feel that they had been given a new lease on life, and to make a strong resolution to discontinue their drinking. This statement seems to reinforce the hypothesis behind LSD therapy. As for the diminishing benefits, one of the papers commented that most alcoholics report a waning of the initial inspiration, euphoria, and good intentions gleaned from the LSD experience when they are again confronted with the former stress and difficulties of their lives. To transfer the benefits to the long term, researchers have suggested extending the LSD treatment to multiple sessions, where each session is separated by a few months. In theory, the repeated LSD experiences could reinforce the will to quit. One could also, however, argue that the repeated LSD sessions would not be as motivating as the first one, as the patient gradually becomes more familiar with the experience.

An important question to ask is how the results of LSD therapy compared to the results of other treatments? To address this question, the authors compared the effectiveness of LSD with Naltrexone, Acamprosate and Disulfiram treatments, all of which are common prescription medicines to help with alcohol addiction. The full statistical analysis would require much more technical detail, but in summary, it can be said that LSD compared favourably against all of these alternative drug treatments.

Most trials made little effort to prepare the patients for the psychedelic experience. Typically, there was a brief orientation session, but there was rarely an in-depth discussion of LSDs effects. The authors point out that 8 patients (out of the 325, 2 percent experienced temporary adverse reaction to LSD (e.g. anxiety). Given the very high dosages and the lack of preparation, this is a somewhat surprisingly low number.

Conclusion

LSD would appear to be an effective treatment for alcohol dependence in the short and medium term, but the positive effects are diminished after 12 months. Despite the weakening effect, and the legitimate criticisms over possible bias of the trials, this meta-analysis provides evidence that argues for further research. Future studies could address whether repeated doses might extend the initial euphoria to long-term change, and whether the combination of LSD therapy with more conventional approaches could lead to lasting benefits. Furthermore, the trials used different doses of LSD; more empirical data is needed, in order to refine the dosage that maximises the benefits and minimises the adverse reactions. It remains to be seen whether scientists will be allowed to investigate these questions.

https://drogriporter.hu/en/dose-of-s...ol-dependence/

iu

Bill Wilson

AA founder believed LSD could help alcoholics stop drinking

by Amelia Hill | The Guardian | 23 Aug 2012

The co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) believed LSD could be used to cure alcoholics and credited the drug with helping his own recovery from often debilitating depression, according to new research. About 20 years after setting up the Ohio-based sobriety movement in 1935, Bill Wilson came to believe that LSD could help "cynical alcoholics" achieve a "spiritual awakening" and start on the path to recovery. The discovery that Wilson considered using the drug as an aid to recovery for addicts was made by Don Lattin, author of a book to be published in October by the University of California Press, entitled Distilled Spirits.

Lattin found letters and documents revealing that Wilson at first struggled with the idea that one drug could be used to overcome addiction to another. LSD, which was first synthesised in 1938, is a non-addictive drug that alters thought processes and can inspire spiritual experiences. Wilson thought initially the substance could help others understand the alcohol-induced hallucinations experienced by addicts, and that it might terrify drinkers into changing their ways.

But after his first acid trip, at the Veterans Administration (VA) hospital in Los Angeles on 29 August 1956, Wilson began to believe it was insight, not terror, that could help alcoholics recover. LSD, by mimicking insanity, could help alcoholics achieve a central tenet of the Twelve Step programme proposed by AA, he believed. It was a matter of finding "a power greater than ourselves" that "could restore us to sanity." He warned: "I don't believe LSD has any miraculous property of transforming spiritually and emotionally sick people into healthy ones overnight. It can set up a shining goal on the positive side, after all it is only a temporary ego-reducer."

But Wilson added: "The vision and insights given by LSD could create a large incentive – at least in a considerable number of people."

His words were found in a late 50s letter to Father Ed Dowling, a Catholic priest and member of an experimental group he had formed to explore the spiritual potential of LSD. Wilson is known to have taken LSD in supervised experiments in the 1950s with Betty Eisner, an American psychologist known for pioneering use of LSD and other psychedelic drugs as adjuncts to psychotherapy, and Sidney Cohen, a psychiatrist in Los Angeles. Wilson also discussed, in great detail, taking LSD with the author Aldous Huxley, and it is likely, though not proven, that the pair experimented with the drug together.

"I am certain that the LSD experiment has helped me very much," Wilson wrote in a 1957 letter to the science writer and philosopher Gerald Heard. "I find myself with a heightened color perception and an appreciation of beauty almost destroyed by my years of depression."

In a talk given in 1976, Humphry Osmond, the British psychiatrist who coined the word "psychedelic", said he told Wilson in 1956 "that LSD was good news."

Osmond said: "But Wilson was far from pleased with the idea of alcoholics being assailed by some strange chemical. Later on Bill got extremely interested and … he likened his LSD experience to his earlier vision of seeing this chain of drunks around the world, all helping each other. This caused various scandals in AA. They were very ambivalent about their great founder taking LSD, yet they wouldn't have existed if he hadn't been of an adventurous kind of mind."

Lattin also found letters in which Eisner described Wilson's thoughts when attending the VA hospital in 1956 to take LSD in a controlled experiment with herself, Cohen and Wilson's wife, Lois. "Alcoholics Anonymous was actually considering using LSD," Eisner wrote. "Alcoholics get to a point in the program where they need a spiritual experience but not all of them are able to have one."

In a letter to Heard in September 1956, shortly after his first LSD experience, Wilson admitted he was appreciating the drug's value. "I do feel a residue of assurance and a feeling of enhanced beauty that seems likely to stay by me." A few months on, Wilson was yet more positive about the long-term benefits. "More and more it appears to me that the experience has done a sustained good," he wrote to Heard on 4 in December 1956. "My reactions to things totally, and in particular, have very definitely improved for no other reason that I can see."

Lattin said Wilson was "so intrigued by the spiritual potential of LSD" he formed the experimental group that included Dowling, and Eugene Exman, Harper's religious book editor. Wilson, however, remained sensitive to the controversy of his experiments. In a letter to Cohen, written between 1956 and 1961, he reported hearing gossip about his LSD use in AA circles. He reminded Cohen about "the desirability" of omitting his name "when discussing LSD with AAers." Cohen reassured Wilson that his LSD trials did not include other active AA members.

In 1958 Wilson defended his drug use in a long letter but soon afterwards removed himself from the AA governing body to be free to do his experiments. According to the anonymous author of his official biography, Wilson felt LSD "helped him eliminate many barriers erected by the self, or ego, that stand in the way of one's direct experiences of the cosmos and of god. "He thought he might have found something that could make a big difference to the lives of many who still suffered."

But, according to Pass It On, published in 1984 by AA World Services in New York, the movement was totally against his suggestions. "As word of Bill's activities reached the fellowship there were inevitable repercussions. Most AAers were violently opposed to his experimenting with a mind-altering substance. LSD was then totally unfamiliar, poorly researched, and entirely experimental – and Bill was taking it."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...oholics-theory

How-an-Illegal-Psychedelic-Is-Treating-Opioid-Addiction-adam-hale.jpg

Ibogaine therapy for alcohol dependence

In the case of alcohol it is essential to be thoroughly detoxified and finished with all withdrawal before initiating ibogaine treatment. Alcohol withdrawal induces heart rhythm irregularities and spikes in blood pressure which can be fatal in the presence of ibogaine. At least one week needs to elapse between the last drink and the initiation of ibogaine treatment – longer if possible. Ibogaine induced heart rhythm irregularities have been documented for up to five days after the ingestion of ibogaine, so it is essential to remain drug and alcohol free for at least a week following ibogaine treatment.

https://www.rehabs.com/pro-talk-arti...effectiveness/

• • •

In lab tests, alcohol-addicted mice drank less alcohol after being injected with ibogaine. Ibogaine also helped them stay "on the wagon" after being weaned off alcohol. After the ibogaine injection, alcohol consumption of the mice dropped sharply. The ibogaine injections also helped the mice resist the temptation to start drinking again after being deprived of alcohol for two weeks.

"Interestingly, human anecdotal reports also suggest a decrease in craving and relapse to addictive drugs after ibogaine intake," say the researchers in The Journal of Neuroscience.

The key to ibogaine's influence seems to be its ability to boost levels of Glial cell line-Deprived Neurotrophic Factor. It is found in reward regions of the brain linked to addiction. Evidence for that came by testing the brains of the mice for signs of ibogaine's impact on GDNF levels.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...lism-treatment

• • •

Ibogaine increases electricity in the heart, which is one of the reasons reputable clinics do cardiac screenings – to assess how the heart conducts electricity. Ibogaine has some features that require vigilance, and most experts conclude that thorough pre-screening and medical monitoring during the experience is crucial to its safety as a treatment for detoxification.

Ibogaine also induces bradycardia (it lowers heart rate, normally by about 10 beats per minute during a typical dose of 12–20mg/kg). The risk of bradycardia is that the heart rate can go very low. If the heart rate stays too low for too long of a period, this can require immediate administration of atropine. This is a serious life-threatening situation that requires medical intervention.

QT prolongation is another major risk with ibogaine. The QT interval is a measure of the heart’s electrical cycle, or the time it takes for the ventricle to get ready from one contraction to the next. During this period, the heart is vulnerable to cardiac arrhythmias and other serious complications. Alcohol withdrawal results in QT prolongation as well, so combining ibogaine with alcohol detox can be extremely dangerous.

https://www.psymposia.com/magazine/h...00-treatments/

160922_carhart_harris_robin_022_204431_001--tojpeg_1556205177809_x2.jpg

Robin Carhart-Harris

Retrospective analysis shows LSD helped problem drinkers

by Arran Frood | NATURE | 9 March 2012

The psychedelic LSD has potential as a treatment for alcoholism, according to a retrospective analysis of studies published in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

The study1, by neuroscientist Teri Krebs and clinical psychologist Pal-Orjan Johansen of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, is the first-ever quantitative meta-analysis of LSD–alcoholism clinical trials. The researchers sifted through thousands of records to collect data from randomized, double-blind trials that compared one dose of LSD to a placebo.

Of 536 participants in six trials, 59% of people receiving LSD reported lower levels of alcohol misuse, compared to 38% of people who received a placebo. “We were surprised that the effect was so clear and consistent,” says Krebs. She says that the problem with most studies done at that time was that there were too few participants, which limited statistical power. “But when you combine the data in a meta-analysis, we have more than 500 patients and there is definitely an effect,” she says. In general, the reported benefits lasted three to six months. Their findings are published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

Psychedelics were promoted by psychiatrists in the 1950s as having a range of medical uses — to treat conditions such as schizophrenia, for example — before political pressures in the United States and elsewhere largely ended the work. “Alcoholism was considered one of the most promising clinical applications for LSD,” says Johansen. Alcoholics Anonymous co-founder Bill Wilson is said to have espoused the benefits of LSD in the book Pass It On: The Story of Bill Wilson and How the AA Message Reached the World.

In the last decade or so, however, a new generation of researchers have been interested in harnessing the therapeutic benefits of illicit drugs — such as 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA or ecstasy) for post-traumatic stress disorder, ayahuasca for drug and alcohol dependency, and psilocybin, the active ingredient in hallucinogenic mushrooms, for smoking cessation.

How psychedelics exert such effects, especially after a single dose, remains unclear. LSD and its chemical cousins share structural similarities with neurotransmitter serotonin, which is linked to many aspects of mood, memory and pleasure.

These psychedelics also bind the same receptor sites in the brain as serotonin, but there the similarity may end — studies have shown that the hallucinogens elicit chemical cascades different from other compounds that bind at the same receptor. To complicate matters further, LSD also acts at other receptors.

For the moment, studying human behavioral responses rather than brain chemistry may be more helpful in understanding how the drugs work. Robin Carhart-Harris, a psychopharmacologist at Imperial College London who has researched how psilocybin could treat depression, says that psychedelics must work at both biological and psychological levels. “Psychedelics probably work in addiction by making the brain function more chaotically for a period — a bit like shaking up a snow globe — weakening reinforced brain connections and dynamics,” he says.

Roland Griffiths, a behavioral biologist at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, is investigating the influence of psilocybin on smoking cessation, and says that psychedelics sometimes give rise to distinctive, insightful experiences that can produce enduring positive changes in attitude, mood and behavior.

“This is impressive and important work,” says Matthew Johnson, a psychiatrist also at Johns Hopkins University who is now running a small trial looking at the effectiveness of psilocybin to treat nicotine addiction. “Although this meta-analysis does not replace the need to test the approach in new, well-designed and rigorous clinical trials, it puts some more muscle behind the interpretation that the older literature shows hints that psychedelic therapy might really help addiction.”

However, Ken Checinski, a consultant addiction psychiatrist and independent researcher based in London, says that although the results are exciting, no pharmacological treatment should be seen as a magic bullet and that modern therapeutic techniques have improved. “The included LSD trials pre-date the use of psychological techniques such as motivational interviewing and cognitive behavior therapy,” he says.

https://www.nature.com/news/lsd-helps-to-treat-alcoholism-1.10200

hallucinations-drug-abuse_f_600x250.jpg

Psilocybin-assisted treatment of alcohol use disorder*

Michael Bogenschutz, Samantha Podrebarac, Jessie Duane, Sean Amegadzie, Tara Malone, Lindsey Owens, Stephen Ross and Sarah Mennenga

After 40 years, clinical research has resumed on the use of classic hallucinogens to treat addiction. Following completion of a small open-label feasibility study, we are currently conducting a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial of psilocybin-assisted treatment of alcohol use disorder. Although treatment effects cannot be analyzed until the study is complete, descriptive case studies provide a useful window into the therapeutic process of psychedelic-assisted treatment of addiction. Here we describe treatment trajectories of 3 participants in the ongoing trial to illustrate the range of experiences and persisting effects of psilocybin treatment.

Although it is difficult to generalize from a few cases, several qualitative conclusions can be drawn from the data presented here. Although participants often find it difficult to describe much of their psilocybin experience, pivotal moments tend to be individualized, extremely vivid, and memorable. Often, the qualitative content extends beyond the clinical problem that is being addressed. The participants discussed in this paper experienced acute and lasting alterations in their perceptions of self, in the quality of their baseline consciousness, and in their relationship with alcohol and drinking. In these cases, experiences of catharsis, forgiveness, self-compassion, and love were at least as salient as classic mystical content. Finally, feelings of increased “spaciousness” or mindfulness, and increased control over choices and behavior were reported following the drug administration sessions. Ultimately, psilocybin-assisted treatment appears to elicit experiences that are extremely variable, yet seem to meet the particular needs of the individual.

Mark

Mark was a white male in his 20s living with his parents and working full-time at the time of enrollment. His binge drinking began in his teens and intensified into adulthood. He reported frequent blackouts and occasional absences from work due to drinking episodes that lasted for days. At baseline, he reported drinking on six of the past 84 days, with an average of 22 drinks per drinking day. Mark had made multiple unsuccessful attempts at treatment, and had attended hundreds of AA meetings. Mark started the study with the intention of attaining complete abstinence from alcohol. He said, “I just want to stop and have a normal life.”

During the first medication session, Mark encountered his anxiety and fears associated with failure. Though the effects were mild and difficult for him to communicate in words, he said, “It was almost like finding the Holy Grail and the answer to all of life’s questions.” Self-report assessments revealed that he had experienced a session of moderately high intensity. In the month that followed, Mark remained abstinent and was surprised at how easy this was and how little he thought about alcohol.

Mark’s second medication session was higher in both dose and intensity. He was confronted by the harmful effects that his drinking had on himself and others. He stated that “at one point, I felt I could have cried for joy,” when realizing that he was being given “a new slate.” In the following weeks, he reported increased motivation and drive and a strong desire to contribute to the world in a meaningful way. He said, “I feel like I’m maturing. Maybe a part of me died when I gave up alcohol.”

Mark remained abstinent during the 7 months following the second medication session. He opted to have the third open-label medication session with the hope that it would help with his work-related anxiety. He described the experience as “a crash course” in dealing with feelings of disappointment, regret, shame, and unworthiness. He also reported “a couple of eureka moments,” and said that the session ended with “calmness, comfort, and reassurance.” He said, “I wouldn’t be surprised if I never drank again” and added, “I got exactly what I need out of the experience.” One month after this session, he remained abstinent and expressed a great deal of gratitude for being able to participate in the study. Two years from his initial intake, Mark contacted the study team to report that he continued to remain abstinent.

Rob

Rob was an African–American male in his 40s who was unemployed at enrollment in the trial. He had been drinking heavily since college, and his alcohol use had caused him to discontinue his studies and his promising athletic career. He was raised in a family that drank heavily, and his father had died due to complications associated with alcoholism. Since the passing of his father, Rob became very concerned about his own health in relation to his own alcohol use. His drinking was also in direct conflict with his Muslim faith. At the time of enrollment he had consumed alcohol on 83 of 84 days, with an average of four drinks per drinking day. He was able to achieve 8 days of sobriety prior to his first medication session.

Rob’s first medication session was dominated by strong nausea and abdominal pain. During the peak effects of the study medication, he sat upright, attempting to vomit, but was only able to spit repeatedly into a wastebasket. In debriefing the following day, he reported briefly sensing the presence of his father and communication of mutual forgiveness. However, upon remembering that his religion did not permit the living to communicate with the dead, he decided to resist the effects of the drug and began to feel ill. He continued to combat the drug effects for the remainder of the session. Eventually he became too exhausted to continue fighting the drug’s effects, at which point he lay down on the couch and gradually began to experience increased comfort.

In subsequent therapy sessions, Rob reported that the medication session had been the most painful experience of his life, commenting that “nothing ever felt worse than those 2 hours.” He was pleased to have “weathered the storm,” and as a result of the “ordeal,” he reported an increased sense of urgency to get his life moving in a positive direction. He acknowledged that he judged himself harshly for not making more of an effort to keep his life on track in the past. However, as he gained confidence from the progress made in his life, he began to feel more forgiving of himself. He was hired at a new job within 4 weeks of the medication session and also enrolled in school. Rob also reported that he valued the moment of contact with his father, and that the session had affirmed and strengthened his resolve to live according to his religious principles. He declined the second and third medication sessions, but completed all other aspects of the therapy and assessments for the study. At his last follow-up visit (54 weeks after beginning the study) he remained abstinent with little desire to drink and happily reported that he was employed and pursuing a degree in social work.

Lisa

Lisa was a Latin-American female in her 50s with a family history of alcoholism, physical and emotional abuse, abandonment, and neglect. Her problem drinking began around age thirty and resulted in social isolation, hangovers, strong feelings of guilt and shame, and severe self-critical thoughts. At the start of the study she expressed concern regarding the effects that drinking was having on her physical and mental health. Lisa had made multiple previous attempts at treatment, and attended a total of 29 AA meetings, with the most recent meeting in 1993. At study enrollment, she had been drinking on 20 out of the previous 84 days, averaging three drinks per drinking day.

During the initial session, Lisa spent time exploring her mother’s neglect and abuse, but noted that she did not experience any antagonism toward her. She examined the negative feelings that she harbored for herself and feelings of alienation from God. She remembered an inner voice exclaiming to God, “Why did you leave me?” to which God responded, “Why are you so controlling?” After this session, she noticed a significant brightening of her mood and a lasting decrease in self-critical thinking. In response to God’s message about her controlling tendencies, Lisa chose not to commit herself to complete abstinence at that time, though she found herself drinking much less.

In the second session, Lisa received a higher dose of medication and experienced an amplification of thought moving her into a confused and chaotic state. Underneath the chaotic thinking, she identified a deep well of overwhelming sadness. She was able to eventually surrender control over her thoughts and entered into a state of peacefulness, until her thoughts quieted completely. She heard her own inner voice rupturing the quiet, whispering into her ear: “I’m going to tell you a secret. It’s the worst-kept secret in the universe because everyone knows it but you. You are a perfect creation of the universe.” At that moment she felt that everything in existence was unified and was made of love, though a part of her remained reluctant to fully believe this to be true. The voice repeatedly presented her with this reality, asking “Do you believe this?” over and over, until each one of her objections had been addressed and dismissed. She examined herself and found that she finally did accept this to be true, which propelled her into a state of profound self-acceptance and wellbeing. She later said, “All there is is love, this is all that you are, this is all that matters.”

Following her medication session, Lisa reported that her self-critical thoughts had dissolved and that alcohol had lost almost all of its appeal. She said that the medication sessions had illuminated how she had been unkind to her body and had been harming herself with alcohol. She noted her ability to manage stress and found that she was making time to care for herself through socialization, relaxation, and a resumed meditation practice. She reported improved concentration, a lack of negative self-talk, decreased anxiety, and a spacious quality of mind, stating that, “the noise can bubble up but it doesn’t overwhelm me. When these little anxieties walk in this big room they seem so little. I feel peaceful, and I feel safe. It feels good to be in my body. I’ve found myself taking wonderful breaths. The negative remarks don’t even pop into my head.”

Lisa elected to participate in the open-label session. Before her third dosing session, she reported a dramatic and sustained increase in her anxiety, which she attributed to the results of the recent presidential election. She reported that the positive effects from the two previous sessions had persisted, and that alcohol was no longer problematic. She described being able to consume an occasional glass of wine while remaining free from the compulsion to overindulge. The only instance of drinking to excess was on one isolated occasion, which was the night of the election. Her intention for the third session was to find relief from her apprehension regarding the election outcome. She described the medication experience as consisting of several hours of pure and intense anxiety, with very little specific thought or perceptual content. The following day she reported that her anxiety had lifted and that she was feeling calm and peaceful. At 54 weeks, Lisa reported a persisting reduction in alcohol consumption and alleviated anxiety.

*From the article here :

220px-Jim_Morrison_1969.JPG

Psilocybin-assisted treatment of alcoholism

Adam Halberstadt, Franz Vollenweider, David Nichols

C is a 59 year-old divorced mother of 2 who had struggled with alcohol since age 15. Her drinking had led to problems including recurrent physical violence, multiple arrests, poor work history, and intermittent homelessness. She had suffered severe abuse in the context of relationships with partners who also drank, including being beaten unconscious and suffering from intracranial bleeding on at least one occasion. She had made several past attempts to stop drinking, with little success. When she volunteered for the psilocybin trial, she had been sober for 11 days.

During the preparatory phase, C stated a goal of total abstinence, and rated the importance of abstinence and her readiness for abstinence as high, but her confidence in achieving it was low. She said that she wanted to understand why she drank, and hoped that this would help her stay sober. She indicated God's will, forgiveness, humility, (to be) loved, and self-control as her most important values, and saw clearly that her drinking was in conflict with these values.

During her first psilocybin session, she reported that she experienced powerful feelings of sorrow and remorse regarding the course of her life, and particularly concerning her perceived failures as a parent as a result of her drinking. This experience was quite painful, and she believed that she was sobbing uncontrollably during much of this time, although she was actually lying quietly on the couch at the time. After the session, she felt a sense of relief, and said that she had been able to let go of these feelings and experience a sense of forgiveness. She was hopeful that the experience would help her stay sober, and had no desire to drink after the session.

C remained sober between the first and second session. During the second session, she reported she experienced a visual image of a small child lying broken on the floor. She realized that this child was her, and experienced herself as a 3-year-old child, devastated by abandonment by her father, an issue that she had not discussed in the preparatory sessions. After this, she began to perceive a white light, which she called Gods healing light, and felt a profound sense of love. She felt that she had been healed by this experience, and that she now felt whole and worthy of love.

In discussing these experiences afterwards, C said that she thought her drinking had been an attempt to escape the painful feelings of being unworthy of love, as well as the painful feelings of shame and loss related to her life as an alcoholic. She had avoided these feelings, believing that she would fall apart if she faced them. Following the sessions, she now felt that she was strong enough to face these feelings, and that she was a whole person, worthy of love. At her most recent follow-up, 5 months after the first psilocybin session, she remained abstinent and continued to feel that her life had been transformed, in spite of the unexpected death of a close family member during the interim.

*From the article here :

migraine.jpg

LSD treatment for alcoholism gets a new look

Dr. Erika Dyck | BrightSurf Science News | 6 Oct 2006

For the past 5 years, Dr. Erika Dyck has been unearthing some intriguing facts related to a group of pioneering psychiatrists who worked in Saskatchewan, Canada in the '50s and '60s.

Among other things, the University of Alberta history of medicine professor has found records of the psychiatrists' research that indicate a single dose of the hallucinogenic drug LSD, provided in a clinical, nurturing environment, can be an effective treatment for alcoholism.

Her findings are published this month in the journal Social History of Medicine.

After perceiving similarities in the experiences of people on LSD and people going through delirium tremens, the psychiatrists undertook a series of experiments. They noted that delirium tremens, also know as DTs, often marked a "rock bottom" or turning point in the behavior of alcoholics, and they felt LSD may be able to trigger such a turnaround without engendering the painful physical effects associated with DTs.

As it turns out, they were largely correct.

"The LSD somehow gave these people experiences that psychologically took them outside of themselves and allowed them to see their own unhealthy behavior more objectively, and then determine to change it," said Dyck, who read the researchers' published and private papers and recently interviewed some of the patients involved in the original studies--many of whom had not had a sip of alcohol since their single LSD experience 40 years earlier.

According to one study conducted in 1962, 65 per cent of the alcoholics in the experiment stopped drinking for at least a year-and-a-half (the duration of the study) after taking one dose of LSD. The controlled trial also concluded that less than 25 per cent of alcoholics quit drinking for the same period after receiving group therapy, and less than 12 per cent quit in response to traditional psychotherapy techniques commonly used at that time.

Published in the Quarterly Journal for Studies on Alcohol, the 1962 study was received with much skepticism. One research group in Toronto tried to replicate the results of the study,
but wanted to observe the effect of LSD on the patients in isolation, so they blindfolded or tied up the patients before giving them the drug. Under such circumstances, the Toronto researchers determined LSD was not effective in treating alcoholism.

The Saskatchewan group argued that the drug needed to be provided in a nurturing environment to be effective. However, the Toronto researchers held more credibility than the Saskatchewan researchers--who were led by a controversial, British psychiatrist, Dr. Humphry Osmond--and the Saskatchewan group's research was essentially buried.

But Dyck believes there is value in the Saskatchewan group's experiments.

"The LSD experience appeared to allow the patients to go through a spiritual journey that ultimately empowered them to heal themselves, and that's really quite an amazing therapy regimen," Dyck said. "Even interviewing the patients 40 years after their experience, I was surprised at how loyal they were to the doctors who treated them, and how powerful they said the experience was for them--some even felt the experience saved their lives."

In spite of the promise LSD showed as psychotherapy tool, its subsequent popularity as a street drug, and the perception of it as a threat to public safety, triggered a worldwide ban in the late 1960s--including its use in medical experiments. However, the ban on its use in medical experiments appears to be lifting, Dyck noted. A few groups of researchers in the U.S., including a team at Harvard, have recently been granted permission to conduct experiments with LSD.

"We accept all sorts of drugs, but I think LSD's 'street' popularity ultimately led to its demise," Dyck said. "And that's too bad, because I think the researchers in Saskatchewan, among others, showed that the drug is unique and has some intriguing properties that need to be explored further."

https://www.brightsurf.com/news/arti...-new-look.html

200229201354-20200301-lsd-psychedelics-super-169.jpg

LSD and Psilocybin vs. Alcoholism

by Rich Haridy | 19 May 2019

A newly published study examining the use of psychedelics in non-clinical settings to treat alcoholism is suggesting a great number of individuals see a reduction in problematic alcohol consumption following strong doses of LSD or psilocybin. The research supplements a compelling body of evidence revealing the intriguing anti-addiction potential of classic psychedelics, and rekindles interest in a strong vein of research from the 1950s and 1960s.

Before LSD escaped the laboratory to hit the streets and become a generation-defining recreational drug in the 1960s, it was the focus of an impressive volume of medical research in the 1950s. By the time the drug was ultimately criminalized and declared taboo in legitimate research circles over the 1970s, it is estimated more than 40,000 patients had been treated with it in clinical settings, and more than 1,000 research papers had been published.

LSD and alcoholism

Prior to the great psychedelic research freeze that set in by 1980, LSD as a treatment for alcoholism was one of the more heavily investigated psychedelic research topics. One of the most important figures in the field across the 1950s was an English psychiatrist named Humphrey Osmond. After struggling to further his research into LSD and mescaline in London, Osmond moved to Canada in 1951 to begin a rich stretch of research into the clinical uses of these mind-altering drugs.

As well as coining the term "psychedelic" at a medical conference in 1956, Osmond was responsible for administering the dose of mescaline to author Aldous Huxley that resulted in his book entitled The Doors of Perception, considered one of the most culturally influential early writings on psychedelic drugs. Osmond's work with LSD and alcoholism turned out to be as important and influential as his other successes.

In 1953 Osmond and his research team first tested LSD as a treatment for alcoholism on two patients. The idea was that a large single dose of LSD could generate a profound experience that breaks the personal habits that lead to excessive drinking. The initial experiment only worked in one of the two patients, with the successful subject immediately stopping drinking for at least six months (the length of the study's follow-up period).

The thirteenth step?

Over the next few years, Osmond treated more than 700 chronically alcoholic patients with LSD and ended up with around a 50 percent overall success rate. One of Osmond's most compelling studies took place in the late 1950s with a cohort of subjects from the group Alcoholics Anonymous. This cohort was comprised of individuals that had failed the famous 12-step program, and again Osmond hit his 50 percent success rate, this time with a 12-month follow-up period.

Years later it was revealed that Osmond had entered into a comprehensive correspondence across the late 1950s with Bill Wilson, the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. Wilson, himself having been treated with LSD therapy for depression, was excited by the potential of the mind-altering drug.

One of the key stages in the AA process is the necessity of undergoing a spiritual experience that propels the alcohol user into recovery. Wilson wondered whether LSD could effectively help induce that necessary experience.

Wilson's wife was later quoted as saying at one point there was serious consideration given to include LSD as a step in the AA program. However, others in the organization bristled at the idea of one drug being used to stop the chronic consumption of another. The group was after all dedicated to the idea of sobriety. Osmond noted that Wilson's embrace of the potential of LSD caused a variety of scandals in the AA community.

And now ... in the 21st century

A 2012 meta-review encompassing several well-conducted randomized, controlled clinical trials from the late 1960s and early 1970s found a consistent successful trend in every study conducted, verifying a single dose of LSD can be beneficial in cases of chronic alcohol abuse. That meta-study revealed 59 percent of all patients responded positively to a single LSD dose.

A recent study examining anecdotal uses of psychedelics for alcoholism in non-clinical settings found even higher success rates. This research collected survey data from 343 people who found major reductions in alcohol use following psychedelic experiences. Only 10 percent of the survey group claimed to take psychedelics with a specific aim of reducing alcohol use, yet 83 percent reported major improvements no longer meeting the diagnostic criteria for alcoholism following a psychedelic experience.

Although there is a solid volume of modern study beginning to re-investigate clinical uses of LSD, many researchers are looking more closely at psilocybin, the psychoactive component in magic mushrooms. Both LSD and psilocybin act on the brain in somewhat similar ways, but psilocybin may be a little more useful to scientists in clinical conditions. It is much easier to control dosage with psilocybin and it results in experiences that are shorter in duration compared to LSD.

An exciting Phase 2 clinical trial is currently underway investigating psilocybin as a treatment for alcohol dependance. Led by the NYU School of Medicine, the trial will include an active placebo, so subjects in the control group will be adequately blinded, and involve two treatments around a month apart. The follow-up period is set for almost one year, with a primary outcome measure to track alcohol consumption following the treatment.

Alcohol use disorders are inarguably a major health problem, with one study finding around 12 percent of American adults face alcohol dependence problems at some point in their lives. It may be several years before this modern research leads to clinically useful outcomes but it is exciting to see an entire field kick back into gear after sitting dormant for decades following the legal and social prohibitions of the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

socialmedia_timFerriss_200114_005.jpg

Could ketamine help treat alcohol dependence?

by Beth Marsh, Lilla Porffy, Meryem Grabski, Will Lawn | The Guardian | 5 Feb 2018

Inspired by the promising results seen in Russia, we are now conducting the KARE trial (Ketamine for reduction of Alcoholic Relapse) at the University of Exeter and University College London. In this trial participants are administered ketamine once a week for three weeks. Participants also receive seven sessions of cognitive behavioural therapy to aid their quit attempt and are followed up for six months. Unlike the earlier study, this trial is placebo controlled, thus participants have an equal chance of receiving either ketamine or a matched placebo as well as either cognitive behavioural therapy or alcohol education as a placebo for therapy. It is also double-blind, meaning neither the participant nor the researcher know whether the active treatment or a placebo treatment are administered. This controls for placebo effects and bias due to expectancies of the researcher – putting the original findings to the test with a more rigorous research design.

Why might ketamine help people stay sober? Recent studies have demonstrated that ketamine has rapid and powerful anti-depressant properties, while people with alcohol problems often also experience symptoms of depression. The direction of the relationship between alcohol problems and depression is not clear, but depressive symptoms are thought to be a common trigger for relapse. Treating people who have alcohol problems with ketamine, therefore, could help them to remain abstinent for longer by lifting their mood.

Furthermore, lab research has demonstrated that ketamine promotes the growth of new neurons and connections in the brain. These processes are essential to learning and memory, and are suggested to be impaired in both depression and problematic alcohol use. Thus ketamine might make people more receptive and able to plan effectively for the future, which in turn may enhance the effect of psychological therapy.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/sifting-the-evidence/2018/feb/05/could-ketamine-help-treat-alcohol-dependence.