View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

AL-LAD - the cure for the common cold

Ismene

Bluelighter
Anyone who'se ever found E works wonders for curing colds, Al-lad appears to have the same effect. My theory is that they both elevate body temperature which assists the body in zapping the lurgy.

Its clearly a form of psychedelic homeopathy dude...;)

MDMA: adrenergic action causing vasonconstriction, drying out of soft tissue like throat/nose and reducing inflammation. (speculative but probable?)
AL-LAD: similar non-specific adrenergic action. Doesn't LSD have some sort of effect on histamine also?

That's cool, but do you also take a high dose of PM(M)A for more severe infections? ;)

If you dry out soft tissue, how are white blood cells and macrophages and shit going to do their work properly? A virus cannot really dry out like that and I doubt it stops bacteria. :D

Some 2C-X have effects on the immune-system, it could be related.

Most things don't work for everyone, you must know that efficacy of medication is considered positive if some 'significant' portion of subjects are remedied, not all.
(Some ailments we have pretty super effective drugs for, but a lot of other diseases we only have moderate ones. I don't think we have simple OTC drugs against common bacterial infections that don't help with symptoms only... both antibiotics and immunomodulating drugs would be pretty overkill, and a virus is nigh impossible to stop with basic non invasive treatment.

A single oral use of an empathogen seems to have cured my runny nose (woke up the next day with the nose clear), and my friend's too. We weren't expecting that, so this can't be placebo. However we can't reject the possibility that this was a coincidence. :)

I would expect that if something like what happened to Shaal fails to be effective, you would come out worse since tripping or rolling costs quite a bit of energy so ultimately that cannot be good for your resistence if the infection remains.

Agreed... I'd like to add that I didn't have other symptoms (like fever), just a congested and runny nose. I don't picture myself tripping / rolling if I'm not feeling well enough.

Our hypothesis, when we noticed the symptoms were gone the next day, was that vasoconstriction was the cause.

So I can't comment on E curing cold, but the substance we took (for which vasoconstriction has been noted as a side effect) did seem to have a positive effect on our congested and runny noses.

However, I wouldn't auto-medicate using this substance (or others with similar effects). It would seem inappropriate (and especially for such unbothering symptoms). :D

MDMA is a strong enough norepinephrine releaser that it'd be an OK substitute for ephedrine... I guess.

That's weird, psychedelics usually give me a runny nose and stuffed-up sinuses and extra throat phlegm (especially with phenethylamines, not always with tryptamines). I'd never think of taking them to cure a cold. :\ I have a lot of allergies, I don't know if that has something to do with it.

LSD & Psilocybin have known anti-inflammatory properties, psilocybe semilanceata (possibly psilocybin) strongly inhibits the 'superbug' MRSA so is a known antimicrobial

We don't know why but this is getting close...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2861806/

It makes sense that the anti inflammatory effect psychedelics have on ego would extend to the physical, considering the role of the ego in the physical

I believe it. I've had several times where LSD cured my mild cold. Or rather, before the trip I had a cold, after a trip I did not, despite being up all night like a madman. It could be that my (LSD induced) behaviour during the trip is what cured the cold, rather than the LSD itself. Or it could be a non-causal coincidence. I think there's something to it though.

i don't think this medicine is enough to chase away the common cold

it may alleviate some mucous or it may seem to increase mucous in some people,
(I think it decreases due to sympathomimetic-acy - for which ephedrine is specifically prescribed)

but the duration is too short.

I don't think it's as effective as E and perhaps you need to push the dose a little more to the 225 mark to really get you heating nicely.

When I was on 2C-E yesterday I noticed just what a powerful nasal decongestant it is... my breathing felt a lot clearer despite the increased mucus production. 2C-E is known to cause vasoconstriction so it probably works similar to oxymetazoline.

The only times I ever get sick is after big music festivals which always includes a bender involving ethanol, Al-Lad, pot and a lot of MDMA.