• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Agomelatine interactions

Abject

Bluelighter
Hello there,
I was thinking about taking Agomelatine but I would rather do recreational drugs.
As you can see here none of the Contraindications applied, and it seems only affects 5-HT2C, as well as the MT1/MT2 receptors.
It is a 5-HT2C antagonist, and from my very limited understanding this lowers the activity making the risk of SS no existent, right?
Also, wiki says " It increases noradrenaline and dopamine release specifically in the frontal cortex and has no influence on the extracellular levels of serotonin."
If the increase in adrenaline/dopamine is a result of the melatonin increase and not a direct result of agomelatine, is it safe to use drugs affecting these systems?

TL;DR will using Agomelatine interfere with recreational drug use at all?

Short answer: probably
Long answer: it will likely lower seizure thresholds so it would be wise to avoid anything that could also do that. This is a very new drug so there are a lot of unknowns at this point.

If you were to speculate: how long would you advise to discontinue taking agomelatine before indulging in MDMA or stims?

On the surface, I would think there would be no major interactions, but honestly... I don't know. Consult Erowid or other sources of anecdotal information.

For the persistence of agomelatine in the human body, take the half life and multiply by 5. That's the amount of time it will take for it to be totally eliminated.