After a year clean, relapsed for a week on H and the consequences on my relationship

vanya428

Greenlighter
Hey guys, longtime reader here and this is my first post. The story is pretty ridiculous (but aren't they all). I'll try to keep the following necessary backstory as brief as possible.

In May 2016, I moved back to the USA after living abroad for about 6 years and having a pretty successful teaching/freelancing career. When I came back, I didn't really have much besides my family and about $5k I had saved and brought over in cash to help start my new life in the states. I wasn't sure what I wasn't going to do, having been away for so long. Luckily, a distant relative in Jersey City had a huge house and rented the whole basement for me for a good price. So, I moved in not really knowing what I was going to do -- but hell, it was kind of exciting to be doing something completely different.

Anyway, on the first night in JC, I went over to Brooklyn where one of my long lost -- and estranged-- friends was living with his ex-wife (she lived in a separate side of the apartment divided by the kitchen, but they still talked/slept together from time to time). This friend, as we all knew, had a serious heroin problem and usually selling his subs/adderall to support the habit. Now, I had been addicted to codeine pills when I lived abroad, and I have a highly addictive personality overall. When I get to his place, he offers me a bag and I snort it. You know how the first H high feels. I was in love and amazed, and thought, "Isn't this the most perfect little thing? Just a little snort and I can have an awesome day!" This was comforting, because at 28, living in my Aunt's dark basement without a job or any career yet established was no less than depressing.

For the next 5 months, I start going to this guy's apt. every other day to score, do drugs (IV) with him, and fuck around town. I had nothing better to do so I thought, why not? Well, in October I decided it was enough: time to move out of my aunt's place, quit the junk and get serious with life in the states. It was pretty horrible kicking cold turkey, but basically drank myself through it and when I came out the other side, my friend, who had lots of trouble with the law, had moved to the west coast. His old ex wife who had basically been miserably co-dependent and through hell watching her first love die and be replaced with an ugly, conniving junky, well-- she moved in with some mutual friends who were married and stable and everything went well for her.

So life went on. I just sort of forgot about the whole wretched time. At this point, I was working for a school, clean except for the booze (ha) and the sub or two I got from the junky when he made his monthly sojourn to NYC to sell his pills he got from medicaid. I was going to the gym, saving money, enrolled in grad school, and getting my life together apart from the boozing that I thought I had under control.

In April, it was a lovely spring day and I randomly texted his ex-wife (lets call her Jane) while getting drunk by myself along the east river. She and I had never really got along before, but I was sort of enjoying the booze and sun buzz. We ended up hanging out, spending an awesomely random day together, and making out. Later that week, she invited me to her place and we banged. Then started a very unexpected courtship ---> relationship that was the best of my adult life. We spent all this time together, went on fun dates, made dinners, awesome sex, great chemistry. It seemed like any issue that came up, we could communicate and work it out. Really fucking awesome stuff, despite the fact that she was the ex-wife of my ex-friend who would harass her when he came back for his monthly pill run.

At this point, I was doing my part-time program in grad school, getting really into my new career as a journalist and feeling pretty good about how things were turning out. Things really couldn't get any better, it seemed.

And yet here's where the shit starts to unravel.

I had found an adderall dealer, and was getting pretty amped up on those fairly regularly to help deal with the school work load. And all that up needs to come down, which I would accomplish with booze at night, if I wasn't with Jane (or if I was, just less). So I was hitting it pretty hard, but still having a great (even better time with Jane). I got my first paid writing job, finished that summer semester, and Jane and I were basically living together. I took care of everything; I was her hero.

While I was doing the AD in the summer, the thought would occasionally flit through my mind that, "for the price of these pills, I used to get a whole bundle of H, and that felt a lot better, too." Then the thought would pass. I kinda got sick of AD then and gave it up. I was very actively in addiction still, but I thought that I could pick and choose my DOC, that I could control it. Boy was I wrong.

Around the time that I was coming up on a year off H, I moved in with Jane. Throughout our relationship (she knew about my drug use with her ex, she even saw me OD) she would always say that doing heroin was the one thing that she could never put up with again; it had caused her so much pain. Of course the whole time I agreed. Of course I didn't want to do H again either! We would both drink (me more often and greater quantity) but no heroin, or even the subs anymore.

But then something happened. Now I realize that I had been slipping big time and had no real understanding of the disease of addiction. I had been building up for a huge blowout. I had suddenly begun obsessing, thinking about how I could get heroin. I even told her once in a drunken stupor that the only thing stopping me was a lack of contacts! It goes without saying that she was very concerned and told me so the next morning.

A few weeks later, I somehow found a contact on the internet, and went to score but wussed out. But then a few days later, I found another contact and went to the projects to score. The whole time I was thinking "the worst thing that could happen is that this stuff is real." But this time my legs kept moving forward, I didn't even know what I was doing. Well, ladies and gentlemen, the stuff was real. And it was good.

What followed was a weeklong binge starting with snorting, then back to the old IV. I thought I had it in control, that I could hide it from Jane. She was going home to China to visit her family for 6 weeks in a couple of days when one night she rolled over and caught a glimpse of my track marked arm. I had never seen something die before then. Her love and trust for me died in seconds. She was physically sick. What a cruel joke life had played on her! Two people she loved were degenerate addicts.

She said I had to leave. I told her I wanted to get clean, that it was a relapse and that I needed help, that I didn't want to lose her. She went to China and it seemed like we were going to try and get through it; we talked every day, she seemed ok with my progress in NA (yet I continued to drink). When she came back, I had been clean and feeling good. We slept together a couple times that first night but the next night, she was different. She said it was over. IT didn't matter that she had brought me gifts for myself and parents. Something was just missing and she said she didn't feel the same way.

Now I have to live with her till the end of Jan when I'll move out and find another place, I guess. I realized I had hit rock bottom and had to quit drinking. For me, booze is like oil on the eternal flame of addiction-- it just keeps it burning.

I realize that I need to focus on myself and work the 12 steps program and get serious therapy. What do you all think about this? I realize it's such a ridiculously long story, so sorry about that. But I haven't been able to get to a meeting yet, as I went to visit my dad for the week before Xmas. I'm 6 days sober ( a first in a long time) and many weeks clean. Is all hope lost with Jane? I realize I totally broke character, made her lose trust, and lose respect for me. Dam does it hurt bad, but reading all the different literature out there, I realize there's no use dwelling on negative emotions and the past.

Should I just give up, try to forget about her despite having to live together till Feb., and focus on myself?

Any advice/comments on how to do this effectively and stay positive? Thanks so much everybody!

Last edited:
I think you’re right to say there’s no use dwelling, it won’t help you stay clean or your relationship with Jane.

And I think you need to focus on yourself, even if only because that’s the best way to succeed at staying sober but it sounds like you really care about Jane and it’s best for her too. You may be different in tevery other way from her ex but considering what she’s been through she wouldn’t be taking care of herself to stay with you. I’m guessing she cares about you too. It’s sad but it’s also really beautiful to share your life with someone and have good times together. I think if you don’t focus on yourself you risk damaging that memory. It may not sound like much but it really does mean something to have a relationship that had to end but is remembered fondly. Give that gift to yourself and Jane by not pressuring or pursuing her. She needs to protect herself and if you don’t facilitate that things could get bad fast.

It’s disappointing to relapse and sad to have a relationship change especially when we feel responsible but I think you were both pushing it getting involved with each other based on your pasts. Take responsibility for your addiction but don’t be too hard on yourself. It was more likely than not this was gonna happen and Jane needs to figure some of her own stuff out for not seeing that too.

Good luck, rooting for you! A moderator might move this to the other recovery forum on staying clean, if not you might post there.

ETA: I forgo you asked for advice. I don’t have much but going to meetings, reaching out for support, generally taking care of yourself, posting here for support... seem like a good place to start ;)

Thanks so much for the reply, Sebastian. I guess the only thing I'm still not sure on is how to proceed for the next month while I'm still living there. Obviously staying out of the house, being cordial when I see her, being positive, and continuing to work on myself, etc. Luckily we have two bedrooms...

I agree that your best way forward is to try to accept the changes in the relationship while concentrating completely on your self and the important work you are going to do to make progress in changing your mental habits. (Although one thing that would be nice is if you two could actually talk about your recovery process--might be healing for her as well as long as she knows it is for you and not just to get back together). So far, you have been able to "feel good", "get through school" etc by altering your consciousness in some way--from alcohol to Adderal and of course, heroin. But what if you could alter your own consciousness through unlearning these habits (and the thoughts that lead to them)? How freeing to know that you can feel content, be motivated and even euphoric through learning to induce those very chemical emotions in your own brain.

It sounds to me like you have two very good strengths on your side: self-reflection/honesty and the ability to write. Use your writing to wend through this--make it a project. Research yourself (what are the roots of dependence foryou?), let the writing lead you away from how you might have learned to frame the story over time and see if you can come up with a whole new way to enter the perception of yourself. The work of recovery is not only about recovery, it is the work we have exactly one chance to do while in these little meat-sacks we inhabit and for me I find it pretty fascinating. When you feel some monumental mental burden lift off of you--especially something that you perhaps assumed was just part of your nature, it can be pretty motivating to keep going.<3

Thanks for the good advice, herbavore. Working through those issues, self-educating and trying to rewire my thinking are my top priorities now. The tough thing was how Jane and I Skyped for 6 whole weeks and I kept her posted on my recovery -- all to have her come home and break it off, as if she had been planning to do so all along. She probably just didn't do it while she was away so that I didn't go out and go after another girl or something, idk.

Well, there may be another explanation--I am a family member (late son and living brother) that stands on the outside of the actual process of recovery. I realize that is very different for a family member (than a lover or friend) but I do think I have some perspective on boundaries. Maybe she simply cannot allow herself to be vulnerable but she could not bring herself to say it until she finally did. The most important thing to remember in any ending or changing relationship is that no matter how personal it seems, it isn't. It is always what each person needs to do for his or her self. This affects you, but in a way it is not even about you--it's about her fears, her journey with herself.

Honestly, there is no telling exactly why she did what she did unless she offers an explanation. Truth is, she might not even fully understand why. Emotions are complex and often times strange. Chances are it has to do with trust and reliving old negative emotions and experiences. Maybe she wanted to be supportive but it became too difficult.. could be a lot of things.

You mention a handful of times that you've been clean or sober for a year or so, but are drinking and taking Adderall during this same time period. It seems like you sort of realize that addictive behavior is addictive behavior, regardless of the drug, just some drugs have different consequences relating to their pharmacology. I think it's important to address the things that are driving you to substance use before getting involved in another relationship. Be able to be comfortable with yourself in a room alone without any drugs or alcohol. Try to examine what type of thoughts and feelings lead you into substance use. Examine your self-talk; do you value and appreciate yourself, do you love yourself, or are you very strict and unforgiving with yourself? What types of words do you use to describe yourself?

Often times negative thoughts and feelings precede negative behavior. We can't control circumstance but we can control the way we respond to the environment.

Thanks Mafioso. I've hit the day 7 clean AND sober mark today and feeling really good aside from the occasional thoughts about my ex, which I tried to redirect into positive ones. I've signed up for a visit with a psych after New Year's and going to start seriously going to AA and working the program. I've been reading lots of literature on the subject and trying to become more self-conscious of my thought patters. Basically, never been in this territory before in terms of sobriety -- however brief -- and I really want this for myself. Changing my consciousness to help me solve whatever problems in life isn't working for me; tried it and buyed it many times, lol.

My ego wants to be pissed off at my ex for not being there for me during this when I feel like I was there for her so many times, but you're right: she's 30, changing careers and really wants to focus on herself and protect her feelings which I so terribly damaged.

I really don't want to think about having to go back in a week and live with her for January while I look for another place (we have separate bedrooms, luckily) so I guess this is the one variable that is going to be really stressful for me. I've never been in that situation before and while I'm going to focus on my sobriety, I feel like that is going to be a major challenge. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks so much everybody!

Recovery is definitely a challenge. At first it seems like it's all about fighting the urge to get high, but as time goes on it becomes more about improving your life and learning healthy ways to deal and cope with problems, as well as healthy and wholesome ways to feel good and be happy. The focus seems to shift away from using/not using and to being healthy and enjoying life. At least that has been my experience.

When you say sober or clean, what do you mean? Seems like you are saying sober as being abstinent from alcohol and clean as being abstinent from narcotics. Most people use the two words synonymously. A drug is a drug is a drug, whether alcohol or opioids, usually they are used in similar fashion when it becomes problematic.

Yea, sober as no drugs or alcohol for a week. Hadn't done other drugs besides alcohol for about a month prior to last week when I cut out booze