• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Afraid to start PAXIL!

HI... I hardly ever come in this forum,

But the problems I have been having lately.. I decided to stubble in here. And I'm glad I did. Everything in here is exactly what I've been looking for.

I have been on paxil.. and I was afraid of never being normal again. And of course the sexual side effects.. I don't want my boyfriend to get scared away because I can't do what I use to. And I started to realize that I'm trying and so is he.. and I'm not "doing" my business. And it frustrates the hell out of me.

MrsSuspicious.... I would really like to talk to you someday.. I can in this forum originally about ibs.. I would like to talk about everything you posted in this post. Because I have been going throught the exact same thing... Aim me frostyE1331

Johnny Boy

Paxil isn;t meant to be taken for just a month or two at a time. It isn;t meant as an emergancy fix. It is meant to be taken for extended periods of time. The effects don;t even start to kick in weeks into the treatment. So I am thinking that since you took the meds for such a short period of time, that is why you had no problems coming off of them.

I was put on Paxil for the sedond time this summer. I feel completely fine day in and day out. I have for months now and I feel I don't need the medication anymore. BUt at the begininng my doc told me I would be on it for a year.

Day to day, taking the drugs is nothing. I pop the pill sometime during the day and thats that.

I don;t fear that I will not be able to get off of it.
I have no side effects at all at this point.
and I feel great. fixed me up just fine for the second time.

don;t worry about this drug. it is a godsend imo

ive been on paxil for the last 6 months or so, and just this past week ive been starting to taper it off. While on the fully prescribed dose of the drug (20mg daily) i had no real side effects (still hadgreat sex !!) but coming of it right now.... 8o

Anyone that has experienced these ZAPS knows what im talking about... it really helped me while i was on the drug, but now i cant wait to get of the damned thing ASAP!!
arrgghhhh i feel funny :(

No wudan, nothing is supposed to medicate you for life.

For anxiety it is unlikely that you would need to be on it long to give you enough of a push start to make things happen.

[edit you also don't have to follow your doctors advice. If you feel that you can cope then talk to your doctor about reducing your dose and weening you off of it]

Last edited:
wudan. said:
The effects don;t even start to kick in weeks into the treatment.

Actually its possible that the effects may not be apparent for a few weeks, but not with every individual. For myself, I was very depressed and anxious the day I began paxil, and noticed an immediate improvement within half an hour of taking my first tablet.

Also, frostyangel you are welcome to email me if you like, my address is [email protected]. You mentioned ibs in your post, I have this too!!!

Look forward to hearing from you!!

MrsS

Last edited:
MrsSuspicious said:
Actually its possible that the effects may not be apparent for a few weeks, but not with every individual. For myself, I was very depressed and anxious the day I began paxil, and noticed an immediate improvement within half an hour of taking my first tablet.
The effects you felt could only have been placebo, Paxil would not start working until an absolute minimum of a few days.

Johnnyboy,

I never said someone whould be medicated for life. But I am saying that the drug is designed to be taken for more than one or two months at a time.

also, I will take the advice of my doctor because even while I am feeling fine, the drug helps through specific times in ones life that causes the anxiety to flare. For me it was going to college, a big life change. Another time was in adolesance.

In between these two times on the meds I was perfectly normal. But some parts of your life cause this chemical inbalance (and yes I believe that's what it is) and the Paxil stabalizes you for that period of time until you can function normally again on your own.

monkyfunky said:
The effects you felt could only have been placebo, Paxil would not start working until an absolute minimum of a few days.

My doctors disagree with you.

Also it was mentioned earlier that
mental disorders are caused by specific chemical imbalances. Unfortunately, this line gets used constantly to explain both mental illness and how psychotropic drugs work. But it is a gross over simplification, and we are probably many years away from knowing why mental illnesses occur.

Well I inherited my problem from both sides of my family. My Grandmother has had extensive tests which showed an imbalance. My doctor hasn't put me through rigorous tests but established that it was most likely that I had inherited the same problem. I could well be wrong, but I've just been quoting what my doctor told me. I don't know if its accurate, since I'm not a quack!!