Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Afghanistan, the drug addiction capital

Sherminator

Bluelighter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22091005

Afghanistan, the drug addiction capital

By Tahir Qadiry
BBC News, Kabul

Afghanistan produces 90% of all opiate drugs in the world, but until recently was not a major consumer. Now, out of a population of 35 million, more than a million are addicted to drugs - proportionately the highest figure in the world.

Right in the heart of Kabul, on the stony banks of the Kabul River, drug addicts gather to buy and use heroin. It's a place of misery and degradation.

In broad daylight about a dozen men and teenage boys sit huddled in pairs smoking and injecting. Among them are some educated people - a doctor, an engineer and an interpreter.

Tariq Sulaiman, from Najat, a local addiction charity, comes here regularly to try to persuade addicts to get treatment.

"We are already losing our children to suicide attacks, rocket and bomb attacks," he says. "But now addiction is another sort of terrorism which is killing our countrymen."

At the age of 18, Jawid, originally from Badakhshan in the north of Afghanistan, has already been hooked on heroin for 10 years. His uncle introduced him to drugs when he was a small child, to make him work harder on the land.

"I hate my life. Everyone hates me. I should have been at school at this age, but I am a junkie," he says.

His father is dead. His disabled mother worries about her son constantly. All she wants from life is for him to get clean, but she begs on the streets to pay for his daily dose to prevent him stealing.

"I always tell Jawid if I die, he will end up sleeping under the bridge with other addicts," she says.

This is the fate of the most hardcore addicts, whose fires can be seen at night. Police regularly beat and disperse them, and sometimes throw them in the river.

The reasons why so many Afghans are turning to drugs are complex. It's clear that decades of violence have played a part.

Many of those who fled during the violence of the last 30 years took refuge in Iran and Pakistan, where addiction rates have long been high. They're now returning and bringing their drug problems with them, officials say.

Unemployment - which currently stands at nearly 40% - is also taking its toll.

"If I had a job, I wouldn't be here," says Farooq, one of the addicts by the river, who has a degree in medicine and once worked as a hospital manager.

He says he takes drugs "to be calm and to relax" - but that he would prefer to be dead than a junkie, as he now is.

Another factor is the increasing availability of heroin, which over the last decade has begun to be refined from raw opium in Afghanistan itself.

To buy heroin in Kabul is "as easy as buying yourself something to eat", addicts say. One gram costs about $6 (£3.91), and it's available in every corner of the city.

"Traditionally, what we tend to argue is that the demand causes the supply," says Jean-Luc Lemahieu, regional representative of the UN drugs agency UNODC - one of the few organisations working on drug eradication in Afghanistan.

"What we have forgotten, though, is that… the sheer appearance of that product on the market causes a local demand."

When foreign troops arrived in Afghanistan in 2001, one of their goals was to stem drug production. Instead, they have concentrated on fighting insurgents, and have often been accused of turning a blind eye to the poppy fields.

Opium has been around in Afghanistan for centuries, used as a kind of medical cure-all.

In a hospital in the northern city of Mazar-e Sharif, I met an Afghan woman, Fatima, who had taken opium while suffering from bleeding after childbirth, because it was cheaper than going to a doctor.

Then she gave it to her baby to stop her coughing during breastfeeding - and now both are addicted.

Women and children account for 40% of the country's drug addicts.

While Fatima and her baby are getting treatment at a public hospital, few Afghan addicts get any help at all.

All told, the health ministry runs 95 addiction treatment centres around the country, with enough bed space for 2,305 people.

Its entire budget for treating the country's one million drug addicts is just $2.2m (£1.4m) per annum - a little over $2 per addict, per year.

Jawid alone consumes heroin worth about three times that every day.

While I was in Kabul, he got a place at the centre run by Tariq Sulaiman's Najat charity. The treatment consists of going "cold turkey" for 72 hours.

The participants began by getting their heads shaved. After one day, Jawid was in pain, but he could deal with it. Then, on the second night, he started shouting and crying and banging his head against a wall.

When I met him on the street, he denied that he was back on heroin, but his glazed eyes and rambling speech told a different story.

As he disappeared into the snowy twilight, his chances of kicking his habit seemed bleak.

And as Afghanistan faces so many problems on so many fronts, its chances of winning the wider war on drugs seem equally uncertain.

to be honest if you're in afghanistan you've got some pretty good reasons to do heroin out of all the worldwide heroin population...
its not like theres much they can do with their lives there i dont think

To buy heroin in Kabul is "as easy as buying yourself something to eat", addicts say. One gram costs about $6 (£3.91), and it's available in every corner of the city.

Sounds like paradise.

At 6 dollars a gram I would never have gone on subs, i would have almost no need to. Why cant i work in the US but live in the heroin flooded wastelands of Afghanistan?

Granted i realize that there is more to life then being high on heroin, but with that much around at that price screw potential and ambition.

I can't really believe anyone is that surprised. Be part of a population that has been in the midst of wars for most of your life if not all of it and why would you not turn to ridiculously cheap heroin if your country was producing 90% of it. Not like there are any mental health services in Afghanistan from the best of my knowledge.

^who needs mental health services when there's unlimited heroin? :D

It is very strange to me that Afghanistan is only now developing such a big problem with opiates. The only hint in this article as to why this might be is when the author says, "Many of those who fled during the violence of the last 30 years took refuge in Iran and Pakistan, where addiction rates have long been high. They're now returning and bringing their drug problems with them, officials say." It is true that Iran has had a huge heroin/opiate problem, ffffmade far worse by the flood of opium and heroin crossing the border from Afghanistan. According to this BBC article from June 2004 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/this_world/3791889.stm

"Iran has the highest proportion of hard drug users of any country in the world. Cheap opium and increasingly refined heroin flood over the border from Afghanistan. Some estimates put the number of users as high as three million - one in 20 of the population."

This is confirmed by this Guardian article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/oct/27/iran.roberttait

It's interesting to me that in just a few years Afghanistan has passed Iran as having the largest heroin/opiate problem in the world (by % of population). I'm curious why it took so long for Afghanistan to develop this domestic problem, when its neighbor Iran quickly felt the effects of the influx of Afghan opium and heroin. As we all know, Afghan poppy/opium/heroin production has been booming since the 2001 overthrow of the Taliban (who successfully suppressed opium production). It is strange to me that domestic opiate addiction did not immediately skyrocket to epidemic levels in Afghanistan while its neighbors felt the effects within a couple years. I wonder if this is simply an error of underreporting or if there was some other factor keeping the domestic consumption down despite the massive increase in production? Even Russia has felt the effects of Afghanistan's Poppy growing/heroin refining boom. In 2010, for the first time ever, if I remember correctly, Russia passed the US as the country with the largest total number of heroin addicts/users. It is fascinating to me the ways in which Afghanistan's opiate production explosion has impacted countries around the globe. It even indirectly lead to the emergence of Krokodil (a deadly homemade opiate derived from OTC codeine pills and various chemicals that causes horrific health problems- if you look it up be warned pictures of users show rotting limbs and disgusting infections). It is used by heroin addicts who cannot get or afford their fix, and in desperation turn to the cheap but incredibly deadly homemade alternative.

Anyone have any thoughts on why it took so many years for Afghanistan to develop a domestic heroin/opium addiction epidemic while other countries like Iran and Russia suffered epidemics caused by the flood of Afghan heroin exports years earlier? I'd really like to get some ideas about why this played out and what about Afghan society/culture/politics/drug trade economics/the ongoing war might explain this puzzling development.

^the Taliban had very aggressive policies toward vice. One of the best ways to beat an addiction is to have a group of serious men threaten to stone you to death.

But Kabul had a lot of heroin use even before the war. I don't trust statistical data gathered under the supervision of tyrants. Right before the war, a New York Times reporter wrote a really good piece on Kabul's heroin epidemic, and I remember pictures of city squares literally tiled with people who had nodded out.

Yikes. The thing that shocked me most was the video of mothers giving opium to their infant children. Whole families are addicted to the shit.

Not so different from all the opiate-addicted pregnant women in the U.S.