• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Afghan heroin kingpin convicted in U.S. court

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
An Afghan man linked to the Taliban who was one of the largest heroin traffickers in the world was convicted Tuesday on charges of importing and distributing heroin and for narco-terrorism, federal officials said.

Officials with the Justice Department and the Drug Enforcement Administration said Haji Bagcho was convicted by a federal jury in Washington. They say he manufactured the drug in secret laboratories along Afghanistan's border with Pakistan.

According to the Justice Department, he sent heroin to more than 20 countries, including the United States, and proceeds from his heroin trafficking were then used to support high-level members of the Taliban to support their insurgency in Afghanistan.

Beginning in 2005 and continuing for five years, the DEA, in cooperation with Afghan authorities, conducted an investigation of Bagcho's organization.

With the help of cooperating witnesses, the DEA purchased heroin directly from the organization on two occasions, which Bagcho understood was destined for the United States, according to a Justice Department news release.

Investigators also conducted several searches of residences belonging to Bagcho and his associates, recovering evidence of drug trafficking.

During one search, ledgers belonging to the defendant were found. One ledger, cataloguing Bagcho's activities during 2006, reflected heroin transactions worth more than $250 million, according to Bagcho's ledger.

Based on heroin production statistics compiled by the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime for 2006, the defendant's trafficking accounted for approximately 20 percent of the world's total production for that year.

cont at
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162...icted-in-u.s-court/?google_editors_picks=true

A lot of the articles I've seen from the last few years seem to indicate that majority of heroin in the northeast is coming from Colombia.

I'm not saying none of it comes from Afghanistan, but I thought the Afghan dope was primarily going through Europe, maybe parts of Asia. Seems like there'd be more channels for the Colombians to use to import it in the US. Dope coming from Afghanistan would have a long ass air plane ride, meaning it has to be a plane that could hold enough fuel for the route or it'd have to be a big cargo ship. With Homeland Security it seems like shipments coming in from Afghanistan/Middle East would be under tighter scrutiny than other countries. Then again people are bribed all the time.

Well, technically, they didn't say it reached the US, just that 'he understood that it was supposed to.' So they told him they were buying for the US.

I've been told a few times by quite reliable sources that brown afghan heroin turns up in Canada occasionally, so technically it could make it's way into the US, though I'd think anyone wanting smack would have a much easier time bringing it up through Mexico like you said.

The article says, "including the US", but my post was more of a preemptive to anyone that was going to comment on how there's not going to be any dope around for a while or whatever.

For all the busts I've seen posted on BL, on the news, or in the paper I don't think I ever seen any kind of extended drought for anything. Maybe once and a while shit will be slow or scarce, but whether it be weed, dope, or coke, it just seems to always be around.

Probably because for every guy who gets caught, theres 20 others moving just as much weight.

The article says, "including the US", but my post was more of a preemptive to anyone that was going to comment on how there's not going to be any dope around for a while or whatever.

For all the busts I've seen posted on BL, on the news, or in the paper I don't think I ever seen any kind of extended drought for anything. Maybe once and a while shit will be slow or scarce, but whether it be weed, dope, or coke, it just seems to always be around.
The Uk and a lot of europe has had a heroin drought lasting over a year now.
Xmas 2010 there was nothing available at all for a while then most of 2011 all we could get was low grade heroin or stuff that looked like and acted like heroin but wasn't heroin.
Even now it isn't over, some folk in the Uk can get good gear but for most of us its still low quality crap on sale.
We are running out of hope of the situation ever getting back to how it was.