• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

advice to quit smoking pot

There is no such thing as physical addiction to marijuana, now you can be mentally addicted, but that also does not mean every person is the same, while some may find it mentally addictive, others can simply walk away from it even after smoking for 20 years. (as an example) "Mental addiction" is literally a mental illness rather than a dependance sort of thing. So any person prone to "mental addiction" would also be most likely prone to smoke cigarettes, or take hardcore drugs as well.

Plus the number of people actually mentally addicted to cannabis is so small that it doesn't qualify as something you should go "get help" for.
My best suggestion is just to get a medical marijuana card as it sounds as if you could definitely use the weed anyways.

Some people do get physically addicted to cannabis/hash, or THC.

It's not as a severe physical addiction to alcohol, benzos, or opiates which can kill people; but some people do get physically addicted to cannabis/hash, or THC.

It did not happen to me; but I know people who did get physically addicted to smoking herb.

They had smoked it daily for years and said when they quit they found it almost impossible to do simple things like eat or interact socially with people in public without being stoned, had night sweats, heart palpitations, had lots of anxiety, and would feel physically ill. Eventually as they stayed sober longer these things stopped happening to them.

Some people do get physically addicted to cannabis/hash, or THC.

It's not as a severe physical addiction to alcohol, benzos, or opiates which can kill people; but some people do get physically addicted to cannabis/hash, or THC.

It did not happen to me; but I know people who did get physically addicted to smoking herb.

They had smoked it daily for years and said when they quit they found it almost impossible to do simple things like eat or interact socially with people in public without being stoned, had night sweats, heart palpitations, had lots of anxiety, and would feel physically ill. Eventually as they stayed sober longer these things stopped happening to them.
Physical manifestations of physiological addiction withdrawl aren't physical withdrawls.

and i've had most of those issues when I quit.

Physical manifestations of physiological addiction withdrawl aren't physical withdrawls.

and i've had most of those issues when I quit.

Did you ever smoke daily? If so for how long?

Also, why do some people get those physical effects from quitting cannabis, while other people do not?

I smoked daily for a month and then quit suddenly, and had no issues with quitting besides the times when I would be watching a movie, reading, or listening to music and thinking about how it would be nice to be baked on herb right now.

But I have never been physically addicted to any drug and that includes alcohol which I drank daily in small and then large quantities daily for 5-6 months, and slowly cut back and took a long break from.

Marijuana is not addictive, so it shouldn't be hard to stop smoking it....especially if you are only taking one hit a week. A few people I knew smoked every day multiple times a day from the age of 15 until they were 20 and then stopped smoking because of drug tests for better jobs.... They just kept themselves busy throughout the day so they didn't have time to smoke. It sounds like you are smoking because of being bored, it would be best if you threw out or got rid of any items you use to smoke marijuana so that way you can't smoke and don't buy anymore. It's sounds like you don't need to smoke marijuana nor do you enjoy it anymore, so anytime you think of smoking just ask yourself "why do I want to smoke? what does smoking marijuana accomplish for me? what can I do to use up my time better?".. Also, let your friends know that you are no longer interested in smoking -- that way they don't ask you if you want to smoke and they may decide to not smoke in front of you either. If they offer you any to smoke because you are all hanging out, just say "no"....every time you say "no" it'll feel great to know you aren't giving into smoking out of boredom & it'll be easier each time. If you can control your opioid dependency then you can control smoking marijuana. Good luck! :)

Just Try To Remember you Don't have to NOT SMOKE AT ALL OR ALL THE TIME.... Basically just Smoke As Much As You Feel Is Necessary.

Drugs can fuck with your head in and of themselves and make you feel like you need them. Addictions like this are a simple malfunction of the reward system of the brain. That does not make it easy to address. The cravings to use can be uncontrollable. If you really want to stop, don't afraid to seek external help even if it's 'just weed'... I had the most intense psychological addiction to weed out of all the drugs I have ever used including heroin and cocaine. It screwed my brain up too really bad, I had a psychotic break that was directly correlated with my weed abuse. I spent $20,000 in one year on weed, hash, hash oil, bongs etc. so obviously my brain was not functioning properly as that was the top priority. I had no medical purpose whatsoever to use cannabis unless you consider warding off mental and physical withdrawal symptoms a medical purpose which it kind of is in a way I guess since it took me 3 - 6 months before I could lift a finger after I quit.

It started off as a psychological addiction similar to what you describe but it progressed until I couldn't eat food without smoking and the anxiety would cripple me without it. Never had anxiety before weed abuse.

It took 6 - 8 months for the obsessive thoughts about weed and the cravings to go away.

It took 2 - 3 weeks for me to stop puking my guts out whenever I tried to eat food and I was reduced to skin and bones.

The extreme anxiety and chronic panic attacks that were brought on during withdrawal never went away. Actually they got worse. I never had that before I smoked a shit ton of weed, there's an obvious correlation... so maybe that is motivation for some people to quit? That is, if you believe what I'm telling you... that weed screwed my brain with anxiety and panic disorder for life and I know myself better than anyone and I am 100% certain it was caused by the weed abuse in and of itself. I abused weed because I loved getting blazed, simple as that.

I did get my shit together since I quit, and my life is on a better track now but there is more to life than being on the right track... I miss blazing it up and I'm jealous of people who can. I just have mad anxiety issues now so it's out of the question for me. I really miss it sometimes, this seems to happen to a lot of people. Weed starts making them feel like shit, all the positives go away but they still associate it with pleasure and good times so they continue to smoke even though it can turn into a miserable thing.

I know this is not constructive advice, but if you raise your tolerance by smoking more you may find that you get better effects (after a few initial days of feeling shitty). For me weed was always an all or nothing type drug... I was unable in any way, shape, or form to moderate my use of it. If I smoked too infrequently, I would panic and the highs just plain sucked. If I smoked frequently, I would be a typical pothead and it would relax me and make me feel euphoric and chill me out, but then I was get bad withdrawals. Catch 22.

Did you eat a well Balanced Diet when Weed was "Top Priority" Believe it or not SIMPLE LACK OF VITAMIN D CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ANXIETY or even scurvy from not getting any vitamin c mr. i puked my guts out for 3 weeks...... Yeah Not weed that would be malnutritions VICIOUS ROUND CYCLE mr. skin and bones.

Yeah when people smoke something that increases metabolism and then you EAT LESS THEN IF YOU DIDNT use a substances zapping your Vitamin and mineral supply i think anyone would feel like a tired bag of shit walking around exhausted from the little bits of protein in the pepporoni on a pizza, I Saw a Special Herbalist Guy and when I Started eating better well No Anxiety etc Like Magnesium is a Huge Help in that Regard MANY ARE UNIFORMED OR REFUSE TO BELIEVE VITAMINS AND MINERALS THE VERY THINGS BESIDES YOUR 75% OF WATER BODY IS made of could POSSIBLY be attributed to SUCH INTENSE symptoms of Anxiety and what NOT! But Believe it or Not One Cup of Milk a day is Not enough Calcium THe main Reason people Loose their teeth on Opioids Opioids ZAP ALL vitamins and minerals AND THEN WEED DOES AND THEN you EAT LESS INSTEAD OF EATING MORE AND TAKING SUPPLEMENTS like you should what you think is gonna happen? Brushing your Teeth will magically stop your body from SUCKING the Calcium from them and your Bones to Proccess Protein not just Drugs etc etc

I could go on and on but reality you will probably just completely disregard this instead of possibly looking into it and seeing if this is the problem.

RARELY very occassionally it is the Weed causing problems.

BUT IF WEED IS OR WAS THE CULPRIT like some people i Know you would be SCREAMING from a panick attack your first time being high not magically becoming an anxious pile of shit mess years and years After of chronic use.....

Last edited:
Not trying to belittle you or anything but I smoked everyday from 1 to 4 grams a day for almost 10 years and have quit many times for weeks months and once for over a year. You sound like a smart enough person to know that if you just stop obtaining weed, you won't smoke it. Do you have extreme addictions to other things also? I mean are you the type of person who can't leave the grocery store without make an impulse purchase? I'm really not pointing fingers or making fun, it just seems you have an overly addictive personality if you can do something like take a single hit in a seven day period and still consider yourself addicted.

tRY magnesium fish oil u name it zinc and copper are found in smart peoples hair in higher concentrations Coincidence? Just dont get a mutlivitamin or put it in a glass of water for 3- minutes if it hasnt dissolved it will not absorb in the stomach and u piss it out right threw you.

I smoked abusively in my teens and then quit for 5 years. Now i smoke moderately. What i realized is that weed affects you according to your life circumstances. Generally if you are happy in your life and you smoke, then weed will make you happy or chilled. If you have issues like money or a bad job or bad relationships its best not to turn to weed until you sort these things out. Weed shows you your problems that you need to deal with and so when people smoke to hide from these issues it causes anxiety and depression and feeling down. Its all about your attitude to weed. Respect it because it is powerful and shamans even call it a plant teacher. Do not use it for escaping , use it for joy and insight into your self and others.

Man you're gonna be facing slim to nothing if at all anything; to most people a .5-1g+ daily habit is when things like insomnia and eating difficulties can happen over the next few days. It may take you an extra hour or something to go to sleep, just do lots of exercise in the day you'll be laughing, truly.

You definitely won't be clawing your eyes out, just more irritated you won't be getting them couple of billies. Tbh I'm sure a lot of people like myself are liking (envying) your willpower/tolerance, I can't just have two cones, it just doesn't happen.

I smoke those amounts or more per day. I've stopped a few times but usually after a heavy comedown and the whole wanting to give drugs a break mindset. And not once have I had any of the above problems bar crazy dreams for a day or two. At the end of the day though why stop lol. It's the only thing that's good for you.

For me, I started yoga.
Firstly I did my asanas high, afterwards I noticed that doing the exercises sober will bring the feeling I once found in weed.

Mary Jane is my friend and I love her. I don't how I would make it day to day without it honestly. I'm not on anything else right now and I don't drink so I need that shit to help my anxiety. It's great you want to quit, wish I could and still be normal.