• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Advice? Suboxone novice

LCat1978

Greenlighter
Hello all,

I will spare you the long back story, but a few months ago I started taking oxycodone for pain. I was worried about dependency/addiction, but stupidly I just kept using it. It works, really well, and it's easy, and... well, I don't think I have to explain the appeal. Anyway, fast forward a couple months, and when I tried to stop taking the pills, I became so ill - everything hurt, and I felt like I wanted to crawl out of my skin and shaky and nauseous and snappish and so irritable and bizarrely couldn't stop sneezing for some reason. I thought maybe I had the flu, but as soon as I took a pill, I was fine, so I realized what was going on.

I went to a doctor and explained the situation. He gave me suboxone. This was yesterday. I was told I had to stop taking the pills and wait till I felt really horrible again and there was a checklist I had to score. I did that - waited about 20 hours, though the day before that I had only had 10mg of oxy, so I really was feeling rotten by the time I took the new medicine.

He told me to take the entire strip which is 8mg/2mg. I don't know why, but I just thought that was scary. He said don't cut it, and the package says not to cut it. But I did. I know - I shouldn't have, but I was just scared about it and didn't see the harm in a smaller dose. So I cut it in half, then cut that in half then cut that in half. So that should be 1mg. I figured I just didn't want the whole amount not knowing what it will do to me, and also I was told if I messed up on the waiting time, or the checklist, I would really, really feel much, much worse, so I wanted to minimize that in case I the timing wrong - it is really hard when you feel that terrible to wait.

So I took the 1mg. It smells and tastes awful - but price we pay, I guess. So I waited an hour. I didn't really feel much of anything. I think maybe I felt just slightly less edgy and yucky, but not significantly so. So I took another 1mg and waited an hour.

My question to you is how should I be feeling? I definitely don't feel worse - so I don't think I messed up on the waiting time, because he said it would just make the withdrawal symptoms even more nasty. That isn't the case. However, I don't think I feel perfectly normal... I still am a little edgy and achy and restless, though there is definite improvement.

Prior to this, at the very most in any given day I would take maybe 80 mg of oxy but that was not common- more commonly it was about 45-60 mg a day. And it has been maybe 2 and a half to 3 months and I was taking it every day. I think that is why I am nervous about this new drug and don't want to take that whole strip - because the higher the does I am on the longer this will be, right? I don't want a lifelong/long term habit, and also (though I am no expert) I don't think less than three months of an addiction should mean years of treatment. But maybe I am naive or ignorant.

I just have no idea what to expect. The doc wasn't helpful. He didn't ask about what I was taking or how much or how long, etc. He wasn't even interested in why I had taken it and assumed it was just for kicks and was uninterested in discussing the pain that made me turn to this in the first place. He didn't talk with me about any of this. He tested my urine and then he scolded me about oxy, told me how he hates it, how it ruins everyone's life, etc, and talked not at all about how treatment would work, or what I should expect, or how long it will take before I am ok again.

So should I just wait? Should I call the doctor? Should I take more? Did I do this wrong? IS my reaction at the moment normal? Does it help with pain at all? How are you supposed to feel on this medicine? Has anyone used this successfully and if so, how long should I expect I will need to take it?

Thanks in advance for any advice and your time in reading my post!

Sub is overkill for a short small habit. Toss the bupe and get comfort meds and stick it out. Taking bupe is gonna give you a massive problem and 1000% harder to stop
Be safe

^ jane's right, but rather than just fucking the subs off, try your hand at a quick taper (4-5 days). subs are great for that, but staying on them long term will probably be harder than just trying to kick the oxy CT. and yeah, your doctor sounds like a total doofus, speak to another and say you don't want maintenance, just a medically supervised taper.

Thank you Jane and Keeping for your help! I hadn't even thought about that - if I should be on this at all. I have to say, I am not comfortable with the idea of it, but didn't know what else to do and it was what the doctor told me I should do.

Interesting thoughts - what would "comfort" meds be? When I was feeling awful, I took some Advil, which helped not at all, and tried chamomile tea, which only made me feel vaguely more nauseous.

I love the idea I could stop this medicine in a few days!! Or even now, if that were possible. Is that possible? What would happen to me if I just didn't take it again? I took 2mg this morning, in two doses of 1mg over 2 hours.

I wish I had waited longer before I took the other dose, as I think that must have been too much. I don't feel like I am in withdrawal now - none of that, and it is definitely better than feeling that way, but I don't feel "normal" either, and I can't say this is pleasant. I just feel weird - not sure how to describe it. It's almost like an energized feeling but not in a good way, and a little queasy. I told everyone at work I am not available today, which is good as I think concentrating would be tricky today and I feel slightly irritable. Also, my vision is a little weird from it - I can see just fine but every now and then my vision just blurs for a second... It is the strangest thing. It has alleviated the withdrawal, but I don't care for this feeling really, and I just would like to be normal again.

I will look for another doctor today, per the advice. It is a little tricky as I have to find one on my insurance plan, but I am sure there must be someone better. He didn't mention tapering. In fact, he didn't even tell me how long I have to do this or how I will stop, etc.

I will try to get a new doctor. So I am going to either try to just stop and not take it again, or do that idea of 4-5 days then stopping. I took 2mg today, so could take half that tomorrow, etc.

Thanks so much for the help!

I'm not really familier with a sub detox. But plenty here are and can help with that
Comfort meds your doctor should give you and some otc
Clonidine (helps with hot flashes anexity and insomnia
Benzo (only use for a week max ) Valium ,klonpins (helps overall shit feeling lol , helps with anexity and sleep
I used Benadryl for sleep but keep the dose low.
And I've heard ALOT of good for loperamide in larger doses because it is an opiate and will help with rls and the Shits and I've heard it takes a lot of the crap feeling away
My advice would be to try to stop by a fast taper or cold turkey with comfort meds . I had a big habit due to an injury and popped oxy like candy. I'm now on mmt but I have a chronic illness so I need pain meds just went overboard with them, running out early etc..
Ohh and hot baths or showers. It might take dragging your ass in but once your in there it feels great And stay hydrated
Best of luck and hopefully someone chimes in with a sub taper:)

Thanks Jane! I will ask my doctor today about some of those medications. I think I have taken Benadryl before, though not the other stuff you mention, but I will take anything that may help me through this.

My dilemma now is that I am coming up on 24 hours since I took the suboxone. When I took it I had about 10 hours of really not feeling quite right, then it sort of eased up a bit and I felt more normal. I fell asleep super early and am up super early as a result. I feel ok now... I don't feel like I am in withdrawal really and feel more or less ok. So do I take more of the suboxone? Do I wait till I feel like I need to? My instructions were to take a full 8 mg strip once a day. But 2mg yesterday made me feel pretty weird, and now it is almost a day later and I don't feel right now like I need anything. What happens if you just stop?

I will try to reach my doctor today, but I have a feeling he isn't going to be helpful, or very happy that I disobeyed and didn't take the full dose. I guess for now I will wait and see how I do. There really should be some kind of instruction booklet with this stuff.

Go to a doctor , plead your case and ask for a handful of long half-life benzos like valium and some clonidine. That's what I did and the doctor was more than happy to supply me with enough for a week since I explained I didn't want to get on maintenance. Drop the subs; don't draw this out longer than it needs.

Thank you Nether Animal - I will do that today. And if he won't help me, I will try to find another doctor. I have to say I am really not happy about the idea of taking the suboxone today. I don't know how long it takes to wear off - but at the moment I don't feel like I need it, don't feel withdrawal, and it really made me feel weird and out of it yesterday. I can't be taking this for months and months. I don't expect some magical cure, and I know I have got myself into a bad spot with the oxy I was taking, but I am glad to hear people here supporting the idea I shouldn't have to be on some kind of drug treatment plan for ages and ages. If I could go back in time and not take the tablets, I would. I don't want them or crave them, just couldn't bear the withdrawal. If there is a way to get through that somehow, without having to take this new stuff every day for who knows how long, then that is what I need to do. I HOPE I can find a sympathetic doctor - I will ask for those medicines and try that.

I would use the subs for a fast taper in your case. 8mg is probably way too much and will only cause a worse addiction to opioids. Try getting along with only 4mg a day and then reduce your dose by 1mg until you are on 1mg. Then go down in 0,25mg incriments until jumping off completely.

Good luck

Thanks Zerwas! If I did that, could i start lower though? My first day on suboxone I took 2mg and felt like my head was spinning. Today, when I couldn't reach my doctor and didn't know what I should be doing, I took .5 mg, and I feel ok. Not as bad as yesterday - not weird and light headed and strange like yesterday. I think maybe I am really sensitive to this medication. I didn't like how I felt yesterday and when it started to wear off it was a relief. Could I just stay at .5? How does it work anyway? I know that it has something to do with receptors in the brain, etc. I could maybe do that .25 increments thing starting from .5mg, or 1 if necessary, though I think I am ok on .5 at the moment.

Hi Picnic - I don't think I can take a whole 8mg. I took 2 yesterday and really didn't like the effect. I felt weird all day and light headed. As it wore off I felt a lot better and today I took .5mg and feel perfectly fine now - no withdrawal, and weird like yesterday. But I don't know how it works. The doctor said to take 8mg too. I just am worried because 2 mg made me feel uncomfortable - not withdrawal uncomfortable. It was weird, I was light headed and a little nervous and just uncomfortable and when it wore off a bit I felt better. I could take more than I took today, I think, but was just going to see how I went. Then again, as I said, I don't know about this stuff.

I think you should take .5 if that helps then after a day or 2 to .25 then jump with comfort meds. No need to take 8mg if .5 helps. Best to keep it low as possible imo