• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Advice on what to try next?

Pixies

Bluelighter
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I just had a quick question about possible recommendations for similar situations, such as mine. With my previous threads recently, I've stated that I'm 29, 6'5 about 250, Male. I've been on and off opioids for the last several years, trying to deal with a constant lower back pain. Which, only recently did we (myself and current doctors) figure out was caused by Piriformis Syndrome (basically sciatica) witch is a 24/7 struggle for me. I'm currently on 180mg of Oxycodone a day, as my insurance would not cover Oxycontine (which was the only drug that seemed to provide real help with my issues, as it lasted 4 solid hours for me, without having to re-dose. I go back to my doctor in two weeks, after having been on this much Oxy, for only 1 month. He knows that medications don't last as long as they do with most people for me. He knows I'm not chasing a high, or selling them, or whatever other shady implications, doctors look for in patients. We've basically come to an understanding with each other, that we both just want for me to not be in pain. And trying to find the right replacement drug, has been rather difficult. I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue or advice for a metabolism that will MAYBE get 1-2 hours out off a 30-40mg oral dose of Oxycodone*. I was considering we try MSContin (ER Morphine, not sure what dose to ask for) with probably a 30mg Oxycodone x4 a day for PT pain, to see if that is somewhat comparable to the Oxycontine that I SHOULD be on if my insurance didn't suck, or rather if Perdu Pharma didn't suck and let other companies make generic Oxycontine..

Thanks in advance, everyone! <3

i've heard of some people who are on methadone for pain as it lasts for a long time and is a rather potent analgesic (JFK was on 'done for his back pain!).

i've heard of some people who are on methadone for pain as it lasts for a long time and is a rather potent analgesic (JFK was on 'done for his back pain!).

Yes, methadone is great for pain, but qt interval prolongation is a big risk :/

oh yeah, 'done wd's last like double the norm and are just nightmarish in general... but i guess if you're a pain management patient you could be on it permanently?

OP, I was up on a heavenly dose of Opana(generic, origional crushable formula) for a while for real bad pain. Siatica, fibromyalgia and three bulging disks. I have successfully stopped all opiate use and am transitioning to medical marijuana. Not everyone's cup of tea, but effective. Very easy to find relief, with all the different strains out now.

I would also like to suggest a ketamine infusion. It took my pain from an 8 to a 2. It also acts as an anti depressant. I admit, I am new to the ketamine treatments, but I will keep getting them. I highly recomend MMJ and ketamine. Least amount of pain I have had in years.

In the name of harm reduction, I strongly recomend research and a discussion with your doctor. All my doctors were shockingly ecstatic, when I mentioned ketamine to them. Marijuana is pretty much self explanatory. I've had supprisingly good generic weed, but I am referring to High Times weed. So explore your options.

One more thing. After having Ketamine both recreationally and in the hospital, I have zero intrest in opIates.

I've been on Methadone before, and I would prefer to stay off it. While it does take away the pain for the most part, along with lasting the longest, the side-effects were just too much for me, after so long. It leaves you unable to function properly throughout the day. An overall exhausted, no energy feeling. Unlike other meds for me, Methadone is the only one that really feels like you are carrying around an extra 100 pounds on your shoulders. Aside from that, the worst is the side effects for me, water weight gain, the worst constipation, regardless of how much fiber or stool softeners you take. Methodone is going to be my last option, so to speak.

I also have tried pretty much every non-narcotic medicine for "nerve pain" or "nerve blocking", to no real effect. Looking at the bioavail chart, I see that morphine is 10% for oral, with Hydrocodone/Oxycodone at 80%+, which would be what I'm looking for, since I've already seen how my metabolism can "tear" through meds. I might try one of those new ER Hydrocodone meds, though I know HysinglaER? I think it's called, is also made by perdu pharma and says it's lasts 24hours... yeah...ok... So, I don't know if they make a 12hr er hydro, that can be generic, but if they do, I can shoot for that I guess.

OP, I was up on a heavenly dose of Opana(generic, origional crushable formula) for a while for real bad pain. Siatica, fibromyalgia and three bulging disks. I have successfully stopped all opiate use and am transitioning to medical marijuana. Not everyone's cup of tea, but effective. Very easy to find relief, with all the different strains out now.

I would also like to suggest a ketamine infusion. It took my pain from an 8 to a 2. It also acts as an anti depressant. I admit, I am new to the ketamine treatments, but I will keep getting them. I highly recomend MMJ and ketamine. Least amount of pain I have had in years.

In the name of harm reduction, I strongly recomend research and a discussion with your doctor. All my doctors were shockingly ecstatic, when I mentioned ketamine to them. Marijuana is pretty much self explanatory. I've had supprisingly good generic weed, but I am referring to High Times weed. So explore your options.

One more thing. After having Ketamine both recreationally and in the hospital, I have zero intrest in opIates.

I will look into the Ketamine thing, because I've never heard of that. But, I'm glad it worked so well for you and your pain seems to have diminished greatly. Gratz on that, seriously. And as far as MMJ goes, yeah, I have my card, MJ just doesn't work that well for pain with me. It does make me tired a little. I haven't bought any in quite a while, but I was mainly using it before I went to bed, with a Vape pen, getting syringes (500mg of pure THC), which worked the best.

Opana ER the generic is hydromorphone,...
Close but incorrect. Opana is oxymorphone. Dilaudid/Palladone/etc. is hydromorphone. Excellent suggestions otherwise-good use of different modalities for pain management IMO. I too found TENS units and acupuncture helpful. Not as great as what hydromorphone does for me but everything I can apply to reduce pain is still a godsend.

Oh yea, and I meant to ask you, what MG of Opana? Were you taking it Orally, as prescribed or did you try other administration routes, like plugging and whatnot? The Oral Bioavail on that is just too low, that it worries me, in that regard. I also own a tens unite and have done all of that stuff too. The tens unite is very nice, but it doesn't go high enough for what I can take LOL. I've scared people (my GF and the tens unit supply place people) when I told them/showed them that I have to go high on ALL settings, and have worn out pads faster than most. The people there have told me that most people can't handle half of what I put mine at, just to pierce through to that DEEP muscle and nerve. It takes a lot more to get down that far.

Oh yea, and I meant to ask you, what MG of Opana? Were you taking it Orally, as prescribed or did you try other administration routes, like plugging and whatnot? The Oral Bioavail on that is just too low, that it worries me, in that regard. I also own a tens unite and have done all of that stuff too. The tens unite is very nice, but it doesn't go high enough for what I can take LOL. I've scared people (my GF and the tens unit supply place people) when I told them/showed them that I have to go high on ALL settings, and have worn out pads faster than most. The people there have told me that most people can't handle half of what I put mine at, just to pierce through to that DEEP muscle and nerve. It takes a lot more to get down that far.
I have the internal version-a spinal cord stimulator and I have heard the same thing as I max out the settings. The trouble it was placed in less than the ideal spot so to cover where I need it to on my back I can't use it while standing as I can barely feel my legs then. It's a slightly different sensation compared with the external tens units. Less jolts too.

Ok, so after doing a bunch of research, I'm seriously considering asking my doctor for 50mg ZohydroER (x4 times a day - max my insurance covers) with somewhere in between 10-30mg Oxycodone (x4 times a day for BT pain), has anyone had this medication? As it seems to be fairly new, but at least it's not made by Perdu, so I might actually have a chance of my insurance covering it. We already tried HysinglaER, but found out IT IS made by Perdu Pharma Inc. and ONLY Perdu. :(

Just think this is probably my best bet at a long last medication if I can get it covered, until we finally pass a bill that states that insurance companies have to cover those ER meds, and that Perdu can't be the only one to make Oxycontin.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
Best Oxymorphone was 20mg total ER a day, oral. Healthiest way of use.

But, was that enough for you? Even with the oral bioavail being so low? Did you feel like it worked as well as similar medications that I'm on, that you might have tried as wel? Thanks for your advice!