• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Advice needed on Cutting morphine sulphate 30mg ER in half

Cloudman115

Bluelighter
Hello,
my mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer a month a go. Originally her pain level was very high. She is prescribed 30mg generic MS Contin 4 per day or 60mg every 12 hours (MFR:MALlINCK). This isn’t needed as she is down to 30 mg every 12 hours.
I know your not supposed to cut extended release drugs in half but her pain has subsided greatly so I wanted to drop her to 15mg every 12 by cutting the pill in half. eventually, removing the ER completely is the plan to help with nausea and tiredness.

is there anything I should worry about with splitting the pill? Receiving too much drug at once? not working or any other suggestions/ideas.

I have 10mg oxycodone IR, 6 per day if pain becomes a issue. She takes maybe 1 per day. Usually nothing per day
I don’t want to call palliative and get 15mg pills.
i know you shouldn’t cut ER pills or that’s what doctors, manufacturers and “experts” say. That’s why I am here, a long time lurker, to get info from the real experts

thanks,
b

Not looking to abuse anything just want to cut a 30mg into two 15mg there about sections. Just wanted to know if the same “rules“ apply to the new two half’s.

”rules” meaning is the bioavailability the same or close, is it still time released? Is it flawed or ruined as a preventive measure when it’s spilt, are we gonna get hit with more morphine at once, any other thoughts ideas worries would be great

I know it’s not a large dose but if would be a continual dosage for the near future .
Mothers background , new to opiates , been on morphine sulphate 30mg twice a day for 3 weeks.

It will probably work for only like 4-6 hours considering you are gonna be both cutting the pill and lowering the dose, maybe a dose of 10mg 3x-5x a day would be better considering it will essentially be instant release, perhaps a bit slower

Hey OP! That is a sad deal that your mother is sick, but on the flip-side, awesome to hear she is improving.

You should be able to break the pill into any fraction within reason and administer it accordingly. The timed-release mechanism is built into the pill.

You can use a razor blade or dedicated pill-cutter (available at any Rx). I imagine that cutting a pill into any fraction smaller than 1/4's could lead to a crumbling of the pill.

Let us know if you have any questions or if I missed anything. Good vibes for Mom!!

Thanks keif for the kind words. moms definitely getting more comfortable and hopefully gonna live like Alex trebuck.

yeah, pill definitely gets a little powered but Ive been splitting them pretty good and no issues with taking half.
I was worried at first with her getting hit with a high dose but that hasn’t happened.

i hate to say it but damm, do I have access to a lot of drugs. only if I used anymore. 😂

Hey OP! That is a sad deal that your mother is sick, but on the flip-side, awesome to hear she is improving.

You should be able to break the pill into any fraction within reason and administer it accordingly. The timed-release mechanism is built into the pill.

You can use a razor blade or dedicated pill-cutter (available at any Rx). I imagine that cutting a pill into any fraction smaller than 1/4's could lead to a crumbling of the pill.

Let us know if you have any questions or if I missed anything. Good vibes for Mom!!

It will probably work for only like 4-6 hours considering you are gonna be both cutting the pill and lowering the dose, maybe a dose of 10mg 3x-5x a day would be better considering it will essentially be instant release, perhaps a bit slower
Thanks For the reply. That’s the plan to remove the morphine and just have her take the oxycodone as needed. So no more extended release Just instant.

She will live and she will live well. She clearly has people who care a lot about her. That's the ticket dude. My mom means the world to me. If you're reading this Mrs. LeBlanc. This one is for you!