• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Advice/Experience Working in a Harm Reduction Center?

Gratuitous Grace

Bluelighter
I have the opportunity to start working (perhaps on a volunteer basis at the beginning) at a harm reduction center in Brooklyn. They offer the whole spectrum of services -- from counseling to medical to education/outreach to needle exchange. Anyone here ever done that sort of thing before? (I'm assuming yes!) What can you tell me about it? Enjoyable, stressful, rewarding, depressing, etc.? I do have years of experience working with the homeless and other under-served populations in NYC, so I don't think this will be *too* unnerving(?) Thanks for any insight!

I have never done anything like that before. It doesn't seem like you have anything to lose, so go for it! You won't know until you try.

Yes, even if you start out as a volunteer. I started in the nonprofit industry as an unpaid intern for a semester. In fact, here it is over a year later and I still work for the same agency.

I think it will be a valuable and worthwhile experience. Do you have a bachelor's degree? These types of experiences can often lead to full-time with benefits big boy jobs. It is a way to get in the door without having the education credentials often asked for in the job listings.

There's a book called Righteous Dopefiend written by Philippe Bourgois. The author is a cultural anthropologist who spent the better part of a decade researching homeless heroin addicts on the west coast. I suggest you read it.

Yes, even if you start out as a volunteer. I started in the nonprofit industry as an unpaid intern for a semester. In fact, here it is over a year later and I still work for the same agency.

I think it will be a valuable and worthwhile experience. Do you have a bachelor's degree?
Yes. Actually I have a JD ... getting another advanced degree, though. Career-changer here! What you're talking about is what I had in mind, actually. Volunteering for a while or maybe doing an academic internship for a semester would be perfect.

These types of experiences can often lead to full-time with benefits big boy jobs. It is a way to get in the door without having the education credentials often asked for in the job listings.
Ah, benefits ... I remember those! LOL!

Right. It seems like most of things I'm interested in pursuing ask for an MSW or related experience. Since I don't have an MSW, related experience it must be.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts so far. I'm going to start the process!