• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adverse reactions to diazepam?

BabyGurl3171IsBack

Greenlighter
Hi guys :) Back to a GL'er BC I can't recover old acct lol.

Anyway, so my psych had me on 6 mg clonzapam (sp?) a day in Nov last year. By Dec I was back on Alprazolam but drastic cut, 2 mg per day. I've been on benzos for 20 yrs now BTW. So, I told him 2 mg a day wasn't cutting it. I was in the ER almost every other day. Well, he seems against alprazolam so he says try Ativan. Too weak & I asked to go back to alprazolam. Instead he put me on 10 mg diazepam 3 x's a day. I started it 6 days ago n have been puking, horrible stomach pain n got the runs. I called today & got switched back to lorazepam until I see him next month.
Anyway, is this something that happens to some people on diazepam? I have no problem with any other benzo. The nurse at first tried saying it was the flu. However, I have no aches, no fever n no chills. It's all my stomach.
Basically my question is could this sickness be an adverse reaction to the diazepam? Or is it one hell of a coincidence that I got sick (and stayed sick) 5-6 hrs after my first one. Last one was at 4-5 pm yesterday n I'm just now feeling better. (It's almost 330 pm here.) Thankfully I just feel little waves of sick feeling in my tummy.
I just wanna know if I'm like the odd one out here BC the nurse was kinda insistent I could have the flu.

Thanks guys for reading!

Oh! Also, my tolerance for alprazolam is 6-8 mgs with no memory loss. Just a peaceful feeling. How many 1 mg lorazapam would be close to say 2 mg alprazolam?

N sorry, I know I probably misspelled the generics lol.

You very well could be experiencing flu like side effects from the valuim, if you have any other benzos, you could try taking them for a few days, then test the valuim out again. If it persists, I would definitely have your Dr switch meds. Lorazepam is about .5 the strength of alprazolam. Here's a decent website that has a benzo conversion calculator, for future inquiries. http://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/?example

- Hopeless Soul

Last edited:
You very well could be experiencing flu like side effects from the valuim, if you have any other benzos, you could try taking them for a few days, then test the valuim out again. If it persists, I would definitely have your Dr switch meds. Lorazepam is about 2x the strength of alprazolam. Here's a decent website that has a benzo conversion calculator, for future inquiries. http://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/?example

- Hopeless Soul

Thank you! He did call in 90 - 1 mg lorazepam n told me to stop the diazepam until I see him...in four weeks.
I always thought alprazolam was stronger. Thanks for the info!!

Oh sorry, I mistyped! Alprazolam is 2x the strength of lorazepam. Gotta quote my mistake! *Shakes fist. Lol

- HS

Last edited:
maybe you got food poisoning ? maybe it's just coincidence?
iv'e had my fair share of benzo use and tried all 4 of the "popular" benzo's in the states and never had issues like that
are they roche branded or generic, if generic it might be the fillers?

as far as the "punch" factor nothing compares to alprazolam, lorazepam is a much weaker and more tolerable to people who exp SE with other benzos

i would try taking the lorazepam and when you become stable try the diazepam again and see if you get the same reaction if so, then yes the diazepam is the issue

I'm on Valium and I think it needs to be stronger.
its one of the weaker benzos out there, but some people are benzo naive, or benzo sensitive. You could always increase your dose, or switch to a stronger benzo.

- Hopeless Soul

Hi Babygurl, glad to see you back! It does seem odd that shortly after you took diazepam you got these gastrointestinal symptoms. Perhaps there are ingredients in these pills that you're sensitive to, being you've been sick for six days. It doesn't sound like the flu to me either. Hope you get better results from the lorazepam.

I am going to agree with t. calderone. There is more than likely something in the pills you are allergic too, or just doesn't sit right in your stomach.

I hope they can get you on diazepam and at a decent dose safely because it is extremely therapeutic due to the long half life and general ease on the user.

Thank you all for your replied. Its been about 2 days with no diazepam n I feel completely better, EXCEPT I'm still running to the bathroom a lot lol.
I've been taking lorazepam since n no probs.
I'd love to go bk on alprazolam BUT I was eating 5-10 BARS a day so it's too tempting. So far so good on lorazepam. :)

Thanks loves!! T. Calderon...missed u!! I don't see many oldies from 2008. Hope all are ok!! ?

The diazepam is by Mylan. If that helps?

Last edited: