• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Advanced Tincture discussion

Phee

Bluelighter
Hello. Trying to live a life that's completely free.

I love making tinctures. It's a combination of art and science. It's quick, sublingual, versatile, healthier than smoking, discreet, and can be very psychedelic.

I hear I'm quite good at it, but always looking to improve. It's not easy to get solid information from the internet, but with the legalization movement, things are certainly getting better. I'm amazed at how much outright awful information gets tossed around. There are some areas where there doesn't seem to be firm consensus too.

Much of this is clear. The quality of the material matters. The amount used matters, i like to use around 3g of herb for every liquid ounce of final product, often starting with about a pint of Alcohol (of course it must be ethanol) for 1oz. of weed. Perhaps a bit more Alcohol, my goal is to use the least amount of alcohol possible to get a good soak and extract, but since i make butter with the finished weed, I'm maximizing total value. Putting 1/4 oz. of weed into a liter of alcohol will get you weed flavored booze. You would need to get drunk to catch a weed buzz.

I use Everclear. 96%. I love to pre-flavor the alcohol. Berries are great but there are so many possibilities. Just soak the everclear in whatever flavoring you like for a week to a month. I like a squirt of tincture on top of a good beer (be careful). It floats like green oil, and the pine flavor goes well with beer hops. So, how about a fresh hops infused alcohol to start?

Yes, weed must be decarboxylated, converted, whatever you want to call it. The THCA needs to be converted to THC which is the useable form we need when consuming as an edible. Smoking does this all at once, so of course, no need to do this for smoking, or baking brownies. We need to heat the weed enough to convert it, without vaporizing it.

*what is THE best temperature and time for conversion? I do 200-240F for about 15 minutes. I don't see any reason to go longer than that. I know im getting good conversion, and I've seen plenty of lab charts around this but im still not certain if say, 250-270 degrees is better. Or maybe 180F for 30 minutes? I see people doing 325 degrees for even longer and i think that kills it.

*Pre-soak in cold water. I love this. This is good no matter how you're consuming weed, but especially good if you're using less than top quality bud, especially leaf. Don't grind it at all, just put it gently into a jar of ice cold water and in the fridge for 24-48 hours. Gently pour off this green, murky liquid that's nothing but chlorophyll and other plant stuff. The valuable resin is still stuck to the material but you've cleaned your material. Unless you want the full, maximum weed flavor. I can see skipping the water soak if you want your tincture to highlight the flavors of a certain strain of weed.

I like to re-dry this before the Everclear soak.

*why is anyone soaking in alcohol for more than 24 hours? Especially Everclear. Alcohol strips the oil right off the plant. There's nothing going on days or weeks later that hasn't already occurred. Unless you really really want every bit of every terpene or something? I see people putting it in a closet for a month? It probably just breaks down the plant cells. I'd like to hear more from some tincture heads about this. Same for grinding the weed up. Sure, break big buds down a bit, but why grind it? As if the alcohol can't penetrate the weed in bud form? Of course it can. Grinding weed up just gets resin to stick to other things. The alcohol knows what it's doing.

I do like to do this though; When i mix the weed and everclear in a glass mason jar, i put it in the freezer for a few hours. Then i let it get back to room temp, and gently warm it up in a double boiler. Alcohol will start to bubble around 170F. I've already converted the weed, but i like to bring this to the simmer point for just a few minutes. It helps to evaporate some alcohol too. I see no reason at this point why letting it sit for more than 24 hours adds any value. In fact, I'll bet the alcohol does its job in a few hours.

Before bottling i warm it up for better extraction, and pour it through a coffee filter. Squeeze all the liquid out and put the weed aside to dry. I'll use a half an ounce of this for 1 stick of butter. I'll add a little fresh ground bud to this butter when i cook with it.

Depending on how much evaporation occurs, this tincture should be a deep dark green, or perhaps more golden green if you pre soak your weed in water.

One other thing i like; i use a vaporizer and sometimes i will vape at a low temperature and deliberately stop early. I add this material to a small batch of tincture, let it sit for an hour, and strain. Every time i vape, i do this with the same tincture, letting it build and strengthen. I find that this tincture can be especially good for good sleep.

Sounds like you've got a lot of knowledge. I tried to make a tincture this winter but failed miserably..
not entirely sure what happened. Other than the fact that I used Smirnoff instead of Everclear (oooooops).

Seems like a waste of weed. Have had success using hash and kief for tinctures, but only mild success. Better to use either in edibles which have more certainty.

It's more than not a waste, if done right it can be fantastic and very efficient. For those who are regular users, 5 or 6 squirts can give a great psychedelic ride.

There are key parts of this. It's tough to take "so much" smokeable bud and reduce it to a visibly small amount of liquid. Im talking 1/8 of weed or more for a 1oz. dropper bottle. 1/4 oz is even better. One squirt, maybe 2, and it is really good. Im a nearly daily smoker for over 30 years.

Using a good amount of good weed. Properly baking it. This is vital. Too low and you won't release the proper THC. Too high and you vaporize your house. Proper conversion is key.

I don't know about using your basic vodka (80 proof). It's alcohol and water, it should work, but may not be so great for making potent high end tincture. But at least a clear overproof rum. It's worth seeking out pure grain alcohol. A 1 liter bottle will make enough tincture for 3 oz. of weed. and costs around $20-25.

Alcohol doesn't need time to seek out and find resin. This long soak stuff is completely unnecessary. This isn't some transformative alchemy. Alcohol is a strong solvent and will quickly strip the stuff right off and right out of the plant. A couple of days is more than plenty. If you've ground up 1/8th in 2oz. of everclear, it's ready in an hour.

How it's used matters. Empty stomach, and not while smoking. Squirt it in hot tea or coffee, letting it roll around your mouth as you sip it. I find that one needs to sort of get used to it, once the brain gets it, it gets it. I find that all skeptics have to do is set a day aside when you have nothing to do. Wake up, dont smoke, and take a couple of squirts. Wait a half hour or so and take another squirt and i tell my exeperienced friends, go ahead, hit it, you'll see. Go for it. You'll get it. That's when i usually get a call or text. "Duuuuude. This is so good".

Hey, I've been searching around and so far you're the first person who digs tinctures like I do. I love the alchemical aspect of the whole chemical exchange, and I feel rather accomplished after making a batch of edibles or tincture that floors my friends. I have been considering a new recipe after purchasing a cbd tincture from a local dispensary.

The ingredients are vegetable glycerin, alcohol infused with licorice, nettle, burdock, valarian, and some local grown bud.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me craft my own recipe, especially since at the moment, I don't have a whole lot of money (but plenty of free time) and this is what I do with myself to keep from losing my mind.

I already know that I need an ounce of weed, that I need to convert it**, but what I don't know is if I can use only VG, where I can purchase VG, or is the alcohol necessary? Does the nettle, burdock and Valarian matter, or is just to taste?

If I use only VG, can I coldbrew my weed into a tincture?
Do I have to heat my weed into the medium?

**(lots of experience; my method is 220 until most of the weed browns at least a little bit. You can smell your way through the decarb process and if you want some quick experience, use a shake'n'vape (oil burner) to smoke your flower. )

Have you ever considered making real cannabis oil and then dissolving that in your liquid carrier oil? That's the best method for making liquid cannabis medicine.

Look up "FECO" or "Rick Simpson Oil," it's an easy oil to make with Everclear. Then just mix that oil into MCT oil or coconut oil or olive oil at whatever dosage you like.

Hi there. I've never done any kind of glycerin tincture. Im certainly not against it, I'm just fine using evervlear. I can still reduce it and flavor it, etc. Glycerin might take more time and effort but I've heard good things. Im very interested in making gummies though, and I'd like to make nice sour ones.

Same goes for cbd, never done it but I'd like to try it some time.

I also haven't used any other kinds of herbals in my tincture but they're as versatile as you want them to be. I pre flavor the evervlear and then use that just the same way as unflavored. I would say experiment as you like and have fun with the process.

Decarbing: "turns brown" scares me. Id rather slightly undercook it than risk vaping the thc. Since ovens vary, im afraid of the temp sneaking above 325, 350.....even if it's safe i dont want to vape off some of the pleasant terpenes that make a well rounded tincture. I have an old gas stove. Even on "low", which is below the minimum temp of 225, my thermometer has shown flirting with 300, and i find myself opening the oven every few minutes to keep knocking the temp down a bit. I can turn the oven below "low", and the watch the flame get even smaller.

There seems to be a sweet spot where the weed is "green brown", and that seems to take some experienced watching and subjective timing. Practice practice. Fall, you seem to have found that spot too. I'd rather take an extra 10 minutes of decarbing at a lower temp than to risk it.

Felonious, I've seen these oil methods, and i make both butter and coconut oil but i just make them direct and strain. I can also evaporate everclear tincture down to more of an oily concentrate so to speak. I think these methods are more for people who are more against the alcohol, or really don't want any alcohol in it. If I'm going to cook with it, I'll just directly infuse oils, but for me, alcohol is the perfect medium for tincture and evaporation gives me plenty of concentration. I like to make it strong and dark to where 1 squirt does the job.

The great thing about tinctures is that you're the boss. You get to create what you want.

I wonder how strong it can get. Triple washes with fresh material, evaporation, etc. If we can get ot to where 1 squirt (about 1 milliliter) is strong, then maybe we can get to the point of dropping it onto blotter paper. Two drops, let it dry, and repeat to where maybe 6, 8, 10? drops per square. 2, 4 squares could possibly do the trick.