Adult's liability for minor's alcohol use

Mahan Atma

Bluelighter
People here are frequently asking about liability stemming from parties with alcohol use by minors. See this piece:
Associated Press
October 4, 2002
Court Holds Parent Responsible for Teen Drinking Death
In a landmark case in Philadelphia, Pa., an adult was punished for a fatal crash caused by a drunken teen even though the adult did not serve alcohol
to the minor, the Associated Press reported Oct. 1.
Judith McCloskey, 42, was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter. She allowed her two teenage daughters to have a party in her home, but did not provide them with alcohol. One of the teenaged guests, a 19-year-old, left the house drunk and crashed his sports utility vehicle. He and two passengers were killed in the crash.
McCloskey said she was unaware that the teens were drinking in the basement. The adult who bought the kegs of beer for the party pleaded guilty to furnishing minors with alcohol and was fined $1,000.
McCloskey, on the other hand, could face up to 15 years in prison.
"This is a landmark case," said Wendy Hamilton, president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving. "I think that this sends a very strong message to every parent in the country. There are too many adults who think that drinking underage is a rite of passage. It is not."
McCloskey's attorney, Gary Asteak, said the case sets a dangerous precedent. "It would put parents in the role of being probation officers for their children, and would ultimately leave them responsible for everything their kids do, whether they see them doing it or not," he said.
Asteak said he would appeal the verdict.

this is truly stupid
Did they ever consider blaming the fucking TEENAGERS?
Yes parents are responsible for their children and what goes on in their home, but clearly the adult was not at fault save for leaving two miscreant kids at home. Furthur, if the alcohol came from an outside source, and the death was related to other teens, then why wouldn't their parents be to blame as well? They would have committed the same crime, that is not being responsible for every little thing that their kids are doing.
And MAAD can suck my fat cock.

I get the impression that the parent was home at the time, just "unaware" that there was drinking going on in the basement. When I have children/teenagers, I will be aware of what is going on in my basement, as this parent should have been.