• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Adrafinil and caffeine

Mycophile

Bluelighter
Ok so I got some adrafinil from 2 different vendors and I am curious about trying it.

Almost all reports I've read of it seem to suggest this is a relatively safe drug to experiment with, probably safer than other stimulants I've used to get high like Dexadrine and Prolintane.

However, I drink a SHIT LOAD of coffee, I honestly don't even know why I drink as much as I do, but my norm is about 8 1/2 cups spread out throughout a day, but sometimes it'll be more like 6.

I have actually combined that much caffeine on MULTIPLE ocassions with Dex, Prolintane, Kratom and Phenibut (never mixed Dex and Prolintane though) and the worst issue I ran into was an anxiety attack on dex till the dex worse off and other than that, I've usually enjoyed all these combos.

I had decided on MOST LIKELY taking the Adrafinil tomorrow, but cutting my caffeine dosage in half to 4-5 cups spreadout through the day with a low dose of Adrafinil, which most people seem to say is something like 300mgs.

The average dose range seems to be between 300-600mgs, with people saying not to exceed 600mgs at once or 1,200mgs in a 24 hour period.

I thought I might just wake up, drink 2 cups of coffee with 300mgs Adrafinil on an empty stomach and see how it felt.

But I'd heard that this could cause potential heart problems on another forum, and this user's experiences worried me.

I remember years back I asked for Modafinil (which is essentially the same as Adrafinil) from my neurologist who gave me benzos, and he said he wouldn't prescribe it for fear my "heart would explode with all the coffee I drink" ha ha...ugg....lol

Then again, he's a doctor, and doctors play it safe and who knows if he was exaggerating, I mean he also refused to prescribe me dex and I've used that with cofee...

So, how safe is Adrafinil/Modafinil (since they are essentially the same) in combination with large or larger than usual doses of caffeine (just regular coffee or tea, not energy drinks or red bull or caffeine powder).

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, I took 400mgs Adrafinil mixed in water (I was told I'd know it was pure if it was water soluble, and since it left no chunks in the water...I mean at first small chunks which then totally dispersed into specks with more sturring, I know that it is the real thing).

I took it on an empty stomach with 2 cups of black coffee at 11:20AM, but 2 cups of coffee for me is like 1/2 a cup for the rest of the world haha....waited, hearing it would kick in around 45mins-1 hour....didn't feel much after an hour but thought I MIGHT be slightly more awake (I'm aware this drug doesn't produce a high, so on only 4 1/2 hours sleep and signficantly less coffee than I am used to, I thought I might notice it's potential more).

Now it's a little after 1, so it should have kicked in about 45 mins ago, but 15 mins ago I had a 3rd cup of coffee (still not much for me, given I start each day with about 5--5 1/2 cups and end the day with a total for anywhere from 6--8 1/2 throughout about 16hours (!!!LOL)....

And when I drank that 3rd cup, I started feeling significantly more awake than 3 cups in the morning would normally make me, so now I think I am noticing it.

Not surprised, as I was told the two can potentiate eachother, but I am going to keep my caffeine dosage lower today than usual and try not exceed 5 through the day (remember guys, that's like 2 1/2 or 3 for most of you lol...) and see what this does.

I read all about dosages, and they can range anywhere from some people saying 50mgs was too much for them (that must be someone INSANELY sensitive) to saying they still felt ok on 1,200mgs).

The consensus seemed to be, across multiple sites, that an average dose ranges between 200--600mgs in one setting, and not to exceed 1,200mgs in 24 hours, not necessarily because it would be so dangerous, but that it has a ceiling effect and you'd just get side effects.

What I am thinking now is that I will wait another hour, and if still feeling fine, maybe take another 200-300mgs making it 600 or 700mgs.

Some might say not to exceed 600mgs in a 3 hour period, but I don't see an extra 700mgs hurting me, and with my desire to redose, I don't want to end up redosing because I need to get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

Some people say this stuff lasts 12 hours, others 8, others 10...so I'm guessing 10...12 to be safe.

Everyone varies, one guy said he once took 200mgs at 6AM and didn't fall asleep till 3AM the next night LOL...another said he took like 800mgs and slept fine about 6 hours later....so who knows...everyone is different.

Anyone else hear have an opinion on what a good dosage is for them??

Some of it is weight dependent I guess, and I'm about 195lbs.

And how long has it lasted for most people here??

(Edit, yeah, I'm feeling it, the subtle relaxed energy...I wouldn't be this awake on 3 cups when I normally need 5 to not even feel this good).

Took another 200mgs Adrafinil (600 total) on 3 cups of coffee and no food.

Feeling jittery, but that's probably cause I haven't had food.

I want to wait 2 hours to eat, and see just for one hour after the extra has kicked in to see what it is like to be on that dose with 3 cups of coffee and no food before i eat, which I expect to bring me down somewhat.

If I get too jittery in the meantime I'll eat regardless.

But I feel alright...I assume the extra jitteriness to come from the caffeine and empty stomach.

I wouldnt go above 500 mg a day otherwise I'd say your wasting it. I take modafinil 200 used to take 400 mg. I've also had adrafinil and armodafinil I'd say 200 mg of armodafinil or 400 mg of modafinil or 500 mg of adrafinil is like 600 mg of caffeine

This sounds weak but for non caffeine usersif they took .6 g of caffeine they'd be raving how they were up all night and if u regularly pound coffee only saying ya seemed to work much like a few cups of coffee seem to work

This sounds weak but for non caffeine usersif they took .6 g of caffeine they'd be raving how they were up all night and if u regularly pound coffee only saying ya seemed to work much like a few cups of coffee seem to work

So you agree caffeine with Adrafinil isn’t really dangerous?

I don’t understand what you were saying here…this quote is confusing, could you explain what you meant?

Another couple questions:

Other mods here have said they DON’T think Kratom would interact badly with Adrafinil.

Do you agree?

And today I took 400mgs Adrafinil again, and I’m noticing it is making me emotional and kind of more upset without any reason. It happened last night too, but I thought that was cause I was running on less sleep than usual, which I still am, and that always makes me emotional, but I'm not running on nearly as little sleep today as the night before, and got a relatively reasonable night's sleep last night...albeit with too many sleep meds (gotta cut out the benadryl/melatonin combo...melatonin is fine by itself, but combining with benadryl makes me feel like shit the next day, so maybe that's it...)

Other than that, the stimulation is SUPER mild.

I don’t think I like it much really.

Have you ever heard of Adrafinil or Modafinil making people emotional?

There's a case study of a man having a seizure after combining modafinil with kratom (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3670991/) , so even though it seems like it's the only report and various people say that they take both without negative side effects you shouldn't combine them, just to be safe

I’ve been discussing this with another poster and another mod.

The mod happens to disagree with you that it’s an unsafe combination just because it happened in that one case, and that the guy had previous health conditions and drug problems that could have led to that.

I’m not gonna name him, but I’m sure if he wants to join the convo he will.

It’s been a debate I’ve been having with people on here for the past 2 days because I want to combine them just once to see what it’s like haha.

I don't really see the problem with combining the two and I don't understand how the combo could result in a seizure plus there are various other things that could've attributed, iirc he was withdrawing from an opioid habit, he might have been dehydrated etc and it's the only case report, but we don't really know the mechanism of action of both substances, so imo better be safe than sorry.
But there are enough people saying that it's safe to take, so if you should try it maybe add a low dose of a benzo, just to be safe

I don't really see the problem with combining the two and I don't understand how the combo could result in a seizure plus there are various other things that could've attributed, iirc he was withdrawing from an opioid habit, he might have been dehydrated etc and it's the only case report, but we don't really know the mechanism of action of both substances, so imo better be safe than sorry.
But there are enough people saying that it's safe to take, so if you should try it maybe add a low dose of a benzo, just to be safe

Yeah, that’s no problem as I take Klonopin most days (I really should take it less…) and have a big supply.

Have you ever heard of Adrafinil making people emotional?

I’ve been emotional today and yesterday when taking it, but taking it because I’m very sleep deprived which ALWAYS makes me emotional, and when in that state the only drugs that have ever made me feel better are Kratom, Prolintane or Dexadrine.

Others make me feel shitty if I’m not sleeping well (other than caffeine…which I hate and want to quit…but never seem to be able to…)

Define emotional I mean not like you take and all of a sudden your crying on some strangers lap going on about feeling like you had to repress your homosexuality your entire life then tell him your life story.

I would say 600 mg is enough to alter someone's blood like 20 to 25 mg of Adderall or 600 mg of caffeine which is certainly enough to cause some people to feel more emotional.

I have no idea if adrafinil is safe with caffeine.

However I take 200 mg of modafinil with roughly 16 cups of black coffee or 1200 mg of caffeine over the day. I do have a elevated heart rate but I also take other drugs. Like Adderall.

Also, I know that I do not have a structural abnormality or irregular activity in my heart because I had a EKG and ultrasound. If your like my therapist who has a structural defect he was born with if he took a bunch of caffeine and armodafinil it might like a high dose of amphetamine send him into I think it's called ventricular fibrillation where the heart goes crazy and reaches like 220 bpm

I have no idea if adrafinil is safe with caffeine.

However I take 200 mg of modafinil with roughly 16 cups of black coffee or 1200 mg of caffeine over the day. I do have a elevated heart rate but I also take other drugs. Like Adderall.

Also, I know that I do not have a structural abnormality or irregular activity in my heart because I had a EKG and ultrasound. If your like my therapist who has a structural defect he was born with if he took a bunch of caffeine and armodafinil it might like a high dose of amphetamine send him into I think it's called ventricular fibrillation where the heart goes crazy and reaches like 220 bpm

DAMN, well based on your anecdotal report it certainly doesn’t seem to have a negative interaction!!

SIXTEEN cups of coffee, Adderall AND Modafinil??

Shit, I’d think that would cause a heart attack or stroke but that’s amazing you can tolerate it.

You’ve got TWICE the caffeine habit I do…and I think 8 cups a day is bad…

I said fuck it and through my Adrafinil down the toilet lol.

Wasted money IMO.

Not even as good as coffee and no recreational potential.

That doesn’t make it USELESS…it means it’s good for narcoleptics and old people with no energy and people overly sedated with downers…none of which are me.

I overdid the coffee on it, felt jittery, haven’t felt anything positive in using it for 2 days, and decided I had no use for it lol.

Good call. I know it can be tempting to just use it cause you bought it. One time I got some kinda b vitamin analogue and I'd get the worst i mean worse headache ever like words can not even describe like overwhelming head throbbing and I'd keep taking it saying well we don't know for sure it's this causing the headache until like a quarter bag down I was like this isn't worth it.

Yeah, I mean I’d PROBABLY have been ok, but it has no recreational value, and I was just going to combine the two out of sheer boredom to say I did it and lived (lol) and see if it MIGHT SLIGHTLY increase the euphoria, which I really doubt it would have.

Sometimes there’s no point in combining certain drugs.

Modafinil adrafinil and armodafinil have no euphoria I take it for narcolepsy which it does keep me more awake for a entire day. But idk if I'd say I'm any more productive I'm still able to surf YouTube blowing off things like without a strong cognitive smart pillZzz.

Amphetamine are obviously active like sometimes when I wakeup they look like my other pills so I'll take two and then I'll just feel sick and twichy.