• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adipex

Bloodborne1

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I could use some assistance with this medication since I’ve never used it.

My wife has been recently prescribed Adipex, since she had our child and despite all her best efforts, she has been unable to lose a sufficient amount of the weight gained during the pregnancy stage.

I am a strong opiate user with a significant tolerance. I know Adipex is not an opiate and there’s a strong possibility if I consume it, it’ll do fuck all for me. Be that as it may, I would like to attempt to consume some. It’s Friday evening and I just took the remainder of my opiates until Tuesday morning. To reiterate, I know it’s not an opiate and the effects may go completely unnoticed for me secondary to my strong opiate tolerance. I want to give it an attempt though.

So my questions of inquiring pertain to the basics. Looks like my wife is prescribed a dosage of 37.5mg. So to hopefully achieve any recreational value out of them, generally what dosage is required? I’m spitballing numbers, but let’s say the recreational value is two of her pills (75mg): is this a safe dosage to consume without overdosing/causing harm? Essentially I want to take an amount that isn’t a waste, but simultaneously isn’t going to harm me.
Furthermore, how long after consumption will I start noticing effects? is this a medicine with a fast onset?

Any and all advice is welcome, beyond the whole “don’t do it, you’ll harm yourself.” This is a harm reduction site. I’ve made my mind up about wanting to take some; I just need to
know I’m safely doing so.

Are you physically dependent on opioids? Are you expecting withdrawal until Tuesday?

If so, I would highly advise not using phentermine (adipex) during withdrawal.

Are you on any other medications?

75mg isn't unsafe but it isn't going to be particularly enjoyable. I once bought a bunch of phentermine in Mexico (where it is sold in a 30mg formulation) and had no success getting anything enjoyable.

It certainly is stimulating but not in a particularly pleasurable way. I took 6 or 7 of those 30mg capsules out of curiosity and was met some strong, nervous energy that lasted a while. At that level it sort of produces a kind of shaky stimulation where you are so stimulated you can't really do anything. Pretty severe heart palpitations as well. It does have some mood enhancing effects at lower doses but not particularly strong (very reminiscent of ephedrine).

Not sure if you are implying that you are going to experience opioid withdrawal, but while moderate doses of certain stimulants can help some aspects of opioid withdrawal (namely mood, dysphoria, lethargy), phentermine is probably one of the last stimulants you'd want to take during opioid withdrawal. This is because phentermine acts mostly specifically on the adrenergic system -- which is already in high gear during opioid withdrawal.

Either way, not a fun stimulant, a bit more enjoyable than ephedrine, but that is a pretty low bar as far as stimulants go.

I once bought a bunch of phentermine in Mexico (where it is sold in a 30mg formulation) and had no success getting anything enjoyable.
How long was this ago? Looked it up but nowadays they require a prescription like for everything remotely usable :( I could definitely use some appetite suppressant.

How long was this ago? Looked it up but nowadays they require a prescription like for everything remotely usable :( I could definitely use some appetite suppressant.

This was quite some time ago, like 12 years.

I would imagine it still is pretty easy to get, even if they say "pues no...es controlado". Not sure what it is like in major cities though (the pharmacies I'm talking about were in Tijuana and Rosarito). I know things have changed however in Mexico though.

I agree a lot with @Snafu in the Void 's opinion. If Opioid withdrawal is going to be in play at all, I wouldn't be throwing this drug into the mix. Phentermine (Adipex) is in the same class of drugs as Amphetamine (Adderall) or Methylphenidate (Ritalin), but less potent.

A good way of looking at stimulants is as a linear deal. On one end of this spectrum, you have Caffeine. On the farther end of this spectrum you have say, Methamphetamine.

There are a ton of other differences, but for the sake of explanation, you see, Caffeine limits the user's intake through its side effects. If you drink too much coffee, you're gonna get shaky, have palpitations, sweat etc. On the other end of this spectrum, you have Meth, which theoretically you can use until you're literally insane without experiencing hardly any of those side effects that you'd experience with an extra cup of coffee. I hope this makes sense.

The weaker, "less-abusable" stimulants are essentially the ones that cause more physical side effects proportionate to their central nervous system stimulation.

What you have here, falls even underneath something like Methylphenidate, a drug pretty well-known for its negative side effects. You will be sacrificing a lot for a brief and unimpressive buzz and considering you're unsure about your Opioid situation, I would say, definitely avoid this. If you have them laying around at some later time, maybe pop one when you need an extra boost in the morning, but these really aren't gonna be "fun" if "fun" is what you're after.

I found phentermine to be a decent and enjoyable enough buzz, for one day.
Although not nearly as fun as a better stimulant, it was always nice enough the first day.
However, the second day always felt like you had been speeding for a week. Jittery, a little paranoid, crappy feeling.

I agree…I had the same hypothesis when trying to kick a 10 year op habit. And…it worked like a champ the first 24-36 hours. Then the jitters were crazy. No sleep is sight (without pharmaceutical help) and after two hours of sleep did finally come and I tried the phentermine again. It never worked. No energy, no jitters, no euphoria. I was perplexed so I started reading. It’s seems that many of the appetite suppressing drugs used for controlling weight tend to loose efficacy quickly. Many stories of people having to experiment with multiple drugs to find the right fit. However…it was wonderful the first 24 hours of op withdrawal. Just better have some heavy sedatives on hand that first comedown.