• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

ADHD Meds with ZOLOFT

Not sertraline (zoloft) but venlafaxine. I was hooked on that shit for 10 years and just couldn't quit without a horrifying withdrawal. Had all, ritalin, focalin and vyvanse together with the venla, antidepressant + stimulant is an often seen combo in ADHD people. Honestly I think SSRIs are a fraud and not more effective than placebo besides the first couple of weeks where I got hypomanic but then it was all just continuation because the doc wanted me to and it eventually turned into dependence. Am off the venla now for 1+ year and still have post-SSRI sexual dysfunction.

Good? Methadone + methylphenidate was good. I would recommend to only use SSRIs when really needed, like in serious depression or anxiety and only if you feel benefits off the antidepressant.

Sertraline is frequently implicated in serotonin syndrome. I would be very cautious taking sertraline with ADHD medication.
There is recently a surge in concern about serotonin syndrome all over the internet. I wonder where this comes from.

It is a very rare condition which arises from combination of more than one serotonergic substance or in even more rare cases one serotonergic one alone. I know there are some papers supposing that even non serotonergic substances like dexamphetamine could give serotonin syndrome but my hunch is that they didn't properly check for other co ingested and non admitted substances.

There shouldn't be any real risk from stuff like dexamph or methylphenidate. These both aren't serotonergic. Also I and many others did multiple serotonergic substances and didn't get any problems. I was even prescribed two SSRIs at a time and while I discontinued one it was cause to headache, not serotonin syndrome.

There is recently a surge in concern about serotonin syndrome all over the internet. I wonder where this comes from.

It is a very rare condition which arises from combination of more than one serotonergic substance or in even more rare cases one serotonergic one alone. I know there are some papers supposing that even non serotonergic substances like dexamphetamine could give serotonin syndrome but my hunch is that they didn't properly check for other co ingested and non admitted substances.

There shouldn't be any real risk from stuff like dexamph or methylphenidate. These both aren't serotonergic. Also I and many others did multiple serotonergic substances and didn't get any problems. I was even prescribed two SSRIs at a time and while I discontinued one it was cause to headache, not serotonin syndrome.
It's not accurate to say it has to be a serotonergic drug as normally thought because tramadol plus gabapentin equals serotonin syndrome in some people. You can look up the case reports.

Cyclobenzaprine also known as Flexeril one double bond different than amitriptyline. Implicated in serotonin syndrome.

I got it from trazodone, plus Seroquel plus zofran when I was in alcohol rehab because that's what they gave me to sleep and I ended up in the emergency room with serotonin syndrome and they had to give me cyproheptadine to treat it.

The doctor the ER said it's very under diagnosed because most doctors don't look for it. But now that they are you see a lot more reports and concerns.

It's really things like taking multiple SSRIs or an MAOI and an SSRI that are danger wrt serotonin syndrome. I don't know what all of the fuss is otherwise. I guess everyone's different, but still.

Methylphenidate and amphetamine are not sufficiently serotonergic. Never took Zoloft, but I can imagine that it might smooth out some of the edge of the ADHD meds, assuming you mean stimulants.

I've taken prescribed Dextroamphetamine (Vyvanse) with SSRI antidepressants and never noticed much of a difference. Both of these drugs are used at their prescribed levels though. I can't speak for high-dosage use or recreational usage.

Keep in mind, many SSRI's inhibit the enzymes responsible for metabolizing Amphetamines. Fluvoxamine (Luvox) for instance, inhibits CYP2d6 to an extent that affects the metabolism of Amphetamine to a significant extent. They inhibit the metabolism of Amphetamine. Other SSRI's have the same effect, though to a lesser extent than Fluvoxamine.

It's safe to say that if you're taking an SSRI, it's likely going to impact the metabolism of Amphetamine, though this usually isn't to an extreme extent.