Additional stylistic suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriciaStmartin

Greenlighter
Additional stylistic suggestions:

1) it is appropriate to accompany each opinion with a rationale. Therefore, one should not simply write:
"I believe that" or "Quine is right" or "dualism is wrong". It is preferable to use formulas of the following type:
"I believe that P because..." or "Quine is right in that..." or "the reasons for rejecting dualism are the
following: ..."
2) it is important to avoid cases of semantic ambiguity or indeterminacy. Therefore, if you use terms generic (e.g., the mind, science, reason, buy lab report ...) or vague (e.g., being, spirit, essence, ...) it is good practice to be accompanied by a definition or bibliographical reference that will allow you to understand the meaning of the terms.
the meaning of these terms.
3) It is appropriate to draw the reader's attention to the premises and conclusion of each argument. In some cases you can number the premises (e.g., premise 1: ... ; premise 2: ... ; etc.), in other cases it may be useful to use acronyms (e.g., TCM: computational theory of mind; ME: eliminativist materialism, ...).
4) it is advisable to intersperse particularly long arguments with short summaries in order to clarify
4) it is advisable to intersperse particularly long arguments with short summaries in order to clarify to the reader where he is in the argument. For example, you can use formulas such as: "Until now I have argued that the Up to this point I have argued that author A supports thesis P and thesis Q, in what follows I will show that "P and
Q" is a contradiction," or "In the previous section I argued that author A supports thesis P, furthermore I showed that P implies Q, in the next section I will show that Q is false and that non-Q holds, therefore there are reasons to support non-P."
5) Factual examples are important and should be chosen carefully. It is preferable to avoid arguments that include anecdotes in the premises (e.g., I was told that ...; I remember that the other day: ....; I seem to have read that: ... ), premises that refer to facts must be sharable examples or
evidence from accredited sources;
6) it is necessary to be precise when attributing a statement to an author.
7) In some cases it may be appropriate to refer to data from experimental research. In these academic writing help cases it is advisable to listen to the opinion of an expert and check that you understand the methodology used.
8) In some cases it may be useful or necessary to quote the words of another author. In these cases it is necessary to
In these cases it is necessary to highlight that it is a quoted text through the use of quotation marks or through the indentation of margins
paragraphs. The source should always be mentioned with the utmost precision.
9) It is advisable to avoid excessively long quotations. In most cases the thought of others can be summarized in
few propositions.
10) It is good practice to have someone else read your essay. If the other person does not understand
If the other person does not understand or has objections, then there is good reason to believe that the argument is not clear or convincing.
sufficiently clear or convincing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know exactly what you're getting at, but I don't think this post is TDS material. I'm gonna close it for now, send me a message if you have any issues with that, and if this is a serious post/ question? we'll get it moved to the appropriate forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.