• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Addition of Propranolol to a Cocktail of Other Depressants - No Recreational Intent

FullCircles

Greenlighter
I am on the following medications and desperately need to add propranolol into the mix. First I ask is this safe to do? Medications currently on:

- Venlafaxine (75mg a day for past 2 years)
- Diazepman (20mg as needed, last dose 2 hours ago - no other doses within last 7 days)
- Alprazolam as needed ( last dose of 2mg 1 hour ago - no other doses within last 7 days)
- Oxycodone (10mg taken 45 minutes ago)

And hopefully, soon to add in:
- propranolol (40mg tablets prescribed - but haven't ever taken before but the time has come to take my small first dose.)

I have a significant tolerance to opiates / benzos in general and never use for recreational use. To give you an idea as to the tolerance, to begin have any noticeable recreational affects I would need the following dose of each medication (when taken alone)
- Oxycodone: 100mg oral followed by 40mg an hour later.
- Diazepam - 40-50mg and I'll be feeling very light and silly. Won't pass out though.
- Xanax - 2mg to calm me down. Maybe 4mg to ensure sleep.

The mix I am currently on is fine, my breathing is fine (perhaps a little shallow but nothing out of ordinary). I will not be taking any more benzos tonight, but may have to take 10mg more Oxycodone, which will be fine.

I .. NEED to take some propranolol to take away the severe anxiety I am still experiencing. Along with sensation of heart palpitations - heard in my ears as if it's pumping too fast/hard.

I am feeling like running into a bomb shelter and crying but I have to go out within the next hour to pick up my daughter (walking of course, not driving) and need to know if it is safe to take the propranolol, and how much for first time considering my current cocktail (I am guessing 10mg to start?)

I won't be taking anything else until after I have a clear understanding of how the propranolol takes effect.

Last edited:
Your taking 4 mg all at once to sleep of Xanax??? I think what your experiencing might be Xanax withdrawal because it feels extremely similar to extreme anxiety. When I was taking 3 mg of Xanax a day if I didn't take it like clock work I would start to feel like my skin is crawling then agitation restlessness fear

Hey mate, thanks for the reply.

I didn't mean that I take 4mg Xanax as my go-to fall asleep dose. I was trying to give some idea of my tolerances to each drug. So 2mg Xanax would have me feeling sleepy but perfectly capable to stay awake in a happy stupor. Whereas 4mg would be the point where I'd most likely fall asleep.

I suppose partly it could be minor benzo withdrawal. I take benzos on average once a week (Xanax mainly due to shorter half life), but sometimes none for 2-3 weeks and have been doing so for about 6 months, so there is definitely some dependence in the mix.

I ended up erring on the side of caution and not taking the propranolol or any more oxy for that matter. The CNS depression was very mild but from what I've read, adding oxy into a benzo mix is dangerous enough, let alone upping the dose.

Unless anyone else has any comments, I guess this thread is good to be closed as I more or less answered my own question.

Cheers