Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Addicts shoot up in safe haven in Canada

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Natasha Maguder said:
Addicts shoot up in safe haven in Canada
updated 9:48 AM EDT, Fri April 12, 2013

Watch "World's Untold Stories: Shooting up legally" [click on above pic to also watch the video] on CNN International on Friday April 12 at 11.30 ET, Saturday 9 a.m. ET and 4.30 p.m. ET, and Sunday at 5.30 a.m. and 11.30 p.m.

Vancouver, British Columbia (CNN) -- Heroin, cocaine and amphetamines are the kind of street drugs you expect to find in the shady corners of any city, hiding away from the glare of law enforcement.

But in one small space in downtown Vancouver addicts openly inject their fixes -- as medics watch on.

This is InSite, North America's only legal safe drug injection center. A banner outside reads "InSite saves lives."

It's a facility where drug addicts can bring and use their drugs and not risk arrest.

Some of the addicts line up two or three times a day to use one of the 12 injection booths.
Shooting up legally Shooting up legally

130410132637-wus-drug-addicts-1-horizontal-gallery.jpg

One of the first users of the day is Steve. The center opens at 10 a.m. and then runs steadily for 18 hours until 4 a.m. Approximately 800 people use the booths every day.

Steve gives his alias to the receptionist -- all InSite users have an official alias to protect their identity -- and moves into the injection room.

He takes a seat and calmly begins to prepare his hit of heroin. He uses the clean needle and sterile equipment provided by InSite.

The white powder is mixed with water in a spoon, gently heated with a candle, before being drawn into the syringe, and injected into the inside of Steve's elbow. It's not for the squeamish. There's quite a lot of blood.

With fluorescent lighting and lots of mirrors, the atmosphere is clinical, even as the room fills with drug addicts focused on one task only -- feeding their addiction.

Medical staff are on hand and watching closely. If needed they can help addicts find the right vein to shoot up into -- something which can be tricky for long-term users. But their main job is to step in when a user overdoses.

Steve has overdosed here three times.

"I'm glad it was here [where I overdosed]. It's still in my hope that maybe I can get clean. I'm only 48. And that's why these places ... it's just, it's common sense! When you have a problem that's grown for whatever reason to the epic proportions that it has in this city, it's time to come up with a really good solution, and this is it."

Vancouver is regularly lauded as one of the best places in the world to live. It's famously the city where you can ski in the morning, and swim in the afternoon. But the quality of life in the alleyways behind InSite is something altogether different.

The Downtown East side is often labeled as the poorest postal code in Canada, which stands in stark contrast to the rest of the city's red hot real estate market.

The alleyways are full of thousands of drug addicts, prostitutes and dealers. Vancouver Police Department estimates that these few blocks are home to more than 5,000 intravenous drug users.

In the alleys we meet Liane -- another long-term user - who has used InSite since it opened in 2003. She is articulate, educated, and angry.

She says that without InSite addicts would be still be getting high but without any of the medical oversight.

To many around the world it may seem astonishing that a place like InSite exists. But for the people in the nearby streets who use it, it's a lifeline.

Clean needles stop the spread of infections like HIV and Hepatitis C, and daily access to medical staff is all the more important for people living in harsh, exposed conditions.

In 1997, Vancouver had the highest rate of HIV in the developed world.

Using InSite makes sense, says Liane. It relieves the pressure of shooting up behind rubbish bins, or using dirty puddle water, or relying on a shared needle.

"We have to stop making it a moral issue and realise that this is a medical problem. Remember us addicts, we're somebody's mothers, we're somebody's sister, we're somebody's daughter -- we're not just a number -- the next time you pass me on the street and shake your head."

Of course not everyone agrees with safe injection sites.

Author, actor, and addiction counselor, David Berner, opened Canada's first ever residential treatment center for addicts back in 1967. He firmly believes that the best harm reduction strategies are centered on abstinence.

"There's only one problem with this place [InSite]. It ignores completely the mechanics of addiction. What are the mechanics of addiction? The mechanics of addiction are I want more.

"I understand reaching out and saying, 'Betty, Jack, you want to get clean? Let's go do some work. Let's get clean. It can happen, you can do it.' I don't understand, 'here's a needle, go shoot some more.'"

InSite is funded by taxpayers, at a cost of $3 million Canadian per year. It says for every tax dollar spent, four are saved, by preventing expensive medical treatments for addicts further down the line.

The center has some support from the mayor, local government and some residents. The opening of InSite was a major campaign issue in Vancouver's 2002 civic elections.

Supervised injection sites are not supported, however, by the Canadian federal government. Prime Minister Stephen Harper's opposition to InSite is well-documented. Speaking in 2005, he said: "We as a government will not fund drug use."

His then health minister, Tony Clement, went further in a 2008 letter to Canada's "Globe and Mail" newspaper: "A more apt analogy of what InSite does ... would be a doctor holding a cigarette to make sure a smoker doesn't burn his lips, or watching a woman with cardiac problems eat fatty French fries to ensure she swallows them properly."

The site is allowed to stay open only with a special license -- the result of a bitter battle with the Canadian government that went to the Canadian Supreme Court.

In September 2011 judges ruled in favor of keeping InSite open against the wishes of Prime Minister Harper. The court said InSite allows drug addicts access to the same healthcare as other Canadian citizens.

The dramatic Supreme Court ruling set a precedent and other cities in Canada, including Toronto and Montreal, had been watching closely.

Councilor Gord Perks is chairman of the Toronto Drug Strategy. "The Supreme Court ruling is a game changer. Now actually it's the law of the land that we have to provide equal access to medical services, including to people with drug addiction. So we've made progress."

A four-year study into the viability of injection rooms in Ontario province recommended three sites in Toronto, and two more in Ottawa - the nation's capital.

But the findings of the Toronto and Ottawa Supervised Consumption Assessment Study (TOSCA), published in 2012, were swiftly rejected by the Toronto city administration.

Toronto's drug problem is not as visible as Vancouver's but it's still there, with about 9,000 people in the city shooting up daily.

As TOSCA revealed, more than 50 percent of the public supported the opening of an injection room in Ontario.

Perks thinks it's only a matter of time. "We've started to get people to face the very difficult fact that if you do not provide this medical service you are killing people. And I think it's only a few years away until we have a supervised injection site here in Toronto."

Injection rooms exist in a number of countries. The first opened in Switzerland in 1986, and since then Australia, Norway, Spain, Germany and others have followed suit.

Accepting injection rooms as a legitimate part of drug strategy is hard for Berner to comprehend.

"It's more humane to help a person stay stupid? To help a person stay enslaved? You don't need to have heroin or needles or crack pipe kits to entice people to health. You could approach people and say, "let me look at that sore. I'm a nurse. Let's clean you up a bit.""

But for people like Liane, it's a harsh reality that she may never get off drugs. She has been using for 20 years and InSite is her best hope of staying connected with medical and welfare services.

"I'm entitled to healthcare, and being treated like a human being, and not being looked at as somebody that isn't, somebody you don't want to talk about, like a dirty little secret.

"InSite in general, it's saved my life once, and it saved my husband's life on three different occasions."

She has a swift retort when asked whether other cities should open injection rooms. "Do they have drug users? And if the answer is yes, then the answer is embrace it."

Todd Schwarzchild contributed to this report
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/11/world/americas/wus-canada-drug-safe-haven

Well laid out article/post, did you have to post in those urls (the ones within the article) yourself? I've often noticed if I copy and paste an article those kind of links wont show as links, just wondering if there's a method I dont know about or am not doing correctly.

Yea, I ended up doing them one at a time. It's not so bad though if you use all keyboard commands, the mouse/track pad/pointer device thingy makes it more annoying for me. At one point, for completely other reasons, I wrote a nifty program for doing what you mentioned, not having to copy all the links and all, but alas I've got no idea where I saved it (was on external harddrive and on of my others computers).

I like things neat and simple, and pretty I might add, so thank you for your comment :) <3

"I understand reaching out and saying, 'Betty, Jack, you want to get clean? Let's go do some work. Let's get clean. It can happen, you can do it.' I don't understand, 'here's a needle, go shoot some more.'"
[snip]
then health minister, Tony Clement, went further in a 2008 letter to Canada's "Globe and Mail" newspaper: "A more apt analogy of what InSite does ... would be a doctor holding a cigarette to make sure a smoker doesn't burn his lips, or watching a woman with cardiac problems eat fatty French fries to ensure she swallows them properly."
[snip]
Accepting injection rooms as a legitimate part of drug strategy is hard for Berner to comprehend.

"It's more humane to help a person stay stupid? To help a person stay enslaved? You don't need to have heroin or needles or crack pipe kits to entice people to health. You could approach people and say, "let me look at that sore. I'm a nurse. Let's clean you up a bit.""

This is so far from the truth it's almost sad. The whole 2nd floor of the Insite is dedicated to sober living/recover programs. It's more like handing out condoms for free. People are going to fuck regardless, you get better results for society if you let them do it safely, & keep the barrier to entry low, rather than stand and proselytize about how immoral it is.

There's so many misconceptions that idiots like these propagate - that Insite encourages drug usage, that they hand out free drugs or encourage dealing, that they are only there for drug users to congregate and avoid the police. None of these are true. They're basically a needle exchange and safe injection site, staffed by professional nurses.

Pre-Insite, the downtown parts of Vancouver were pretty scary places to be, needle reuse and HIV ran rampant, and shit was generally Fucked Up. Now people throw bricks through the windows of the restaurants that are now downtown where drug dealers used to stand; because the development is "gentrifying the community".

Watch this and tell me it's a better situation to be fixing up in. Using syringes you found, and puddle water. Hell, watch the whole video. Now consider that since the opening of Insite, you don't see needles on the ground. You don't see people having seizures in the gutters. There's still wasted lives, but they get a chance to change if they have an addiction, rather than dying in a gutter from an overdose. Insite reaches out and helps these folks re-evaluate. It helps them do drugs safely. It's rescued people who have OD'd before. It's not just a modern opium den. The fine folks down there just recognize that too many good people die from bad decisions, and we as a society can actually help in some cases.

Last edited:
Wow, they mention someone actually heating heroin in front of medical professionals?! Wow, the BL dissolution of non-soluble cut police should contact them immediately...

"You shouldn't even mildly heat black tar heroin...put sterile water on it and wait approx. 17.5 hours for it break down on its own...."

Sorry, had to say that...

This is something that's really simple, relatively cheap and saves lives. How someone could think the alternative is better, I don't understand...

I dont shoot drugs, but im all for these kinds of places, there's one in sydney, The Sydney Medically Supervised Injecting Centre (MSIC)

The Sydney Medically Supervised Injecting Centre (MSIC) recognises that drug addiction is a chronic, relapsing condition and that it is complex and difficult to treat. MSIC does not support or promote drug use; it simply acknowledges that it is a fact of life.

http://www.sydneymsic.com

International context
The first official supervised injecting centre (SIF) began in Switzerland in the 1980s. Now there are approximately 90 SIFs operating around the world – with most of those in the European countries of Germany, Spain, the Netherlands, Norway, Luxembourg, Switzerland and now Denmark. There are two supervised injecting centres in Vancouver, Canada, the first and largest of which opened in 2003. And there is one supervised here in Kings Cross, Sydney, NSW Australia.
This service in Sydney opened in 2001 and was the first SIF in the English speaking world. It remains the only service of its kind in the southern hemisphere.

All SIFs aim to reduce the public health and public amenity problems associated with public drug use. They are generally established in areas of concentrated and highly visible street injecting. The centres vary depending on the local context - some include facilities for inhalation or intranasal drug use, whereas others are exclusively for injecting drug use. The skills and qualifications of staff may vary too. But supervised injecting centres all have common goals: to improve the health and social welfare of their clients, to reduce deaths from overdose and to reduce public drug use.

And one or two in the Netherlands, no? Agreed. These programs save lives. And if we (the US) gave a damn about the state of public health in our communities, well not so much the gated ones, well, the world would be a better, happier place :)

Yes it says the netherlands, maybe there are two there, i'm not sure. And yeah hopefully more and more of these will be around in the future, all over the world, we could do with more of them here in Aus for sure, Syd is the only one, shame it is the only one in the southern hemisphere.

I might actually move to Vancouver when I get my degree. It looks so nice in Continuum.

haha i really like the show Continuum and Vancouver is a beautiful city. Insane access to drugs of all sorts, it is IMO the best place in Canada to live. They are extremely liberal in general in BC about everything, with people growing cannabis plants in their front yard without any worry. It's like Canada's California. Not to mention the mild weather compared to the rest of Canada. One day when i get a chance to move it'll be to either BC or somewheres along the west coast US, though it's hard as shit to get US citizenship without an employer bringing you over, same goes for Canada. Hard as hell to immigrate here legally. Montreal is also a top contender for best city to live in, fucking amazing city, unlike anything else in Canada (well outside of QC).

Insite is great and everything but they should do lab analysis for drugs there, maybe purify drugs for users but i guess that'd be over stepping the boundaries with good old conservative oil tycoon Canada. Once we get the liberals back in, HR places like insite will not face so much scrutiny, even now though there is hardly scrutiny except for a few conservative ass hats, they are certainly in the minority. Insite a great example of how HR programs not only help the addicts but the community as well.

i think gently heating the spoon with a candle is a bit different than using a torch lighter under it. A bit of heat helps dissolve the heroin, without getting too much cut in there for the inpatient drug addicts out there. Still not ideally harm reduction, they should have a chart displaying common drug myths in there, like using a lighter and a spoon. I doubt a candle gives off near as much heat as a lighter does. Likely the heroin in vancouver is quite pure, it's not stepped on as much because it's imported from asia, or at least used to be. I don't think i've heard of tar heroin being popular in Vancouver, but i don't know the drug scene there as well as people who actually live there.

I think we should put them all on pharmacy dispensed opiates. They are shooting dirty street drugs. I think it was Zurich's needle park, maybe somewhere else in Europe. I saw an interview with a guy who was street addict of heroin there he looked like a zombie. They put him on pharmaceutical opiates, stuck him in welfare housing and he looked like a million bucks. I support all harm reduction measures, I think we can do better though. Gangs shouldn't be getting rich from these people's addictions. We should legalize all the hard drugs anyway, a habit should cost you like 10 bucks a day, half these people could work at 7-11 if they didn't have 300 dollar a day addiction to pay for.
I love Vancouver though I go there few times a year.

We have a pretty well equipped needle exchange program here in St.Johns but for some reason needle users here are too stupid to use it most of the time. The most popular IV drugs here are hydromorphone, morphine and cocaine i think and you get people who refuse to use those sterifilt filters that the exchange place hands out for free. They aren't as good as some micron filters but hey atleast it's better then a cotton filter or a fucking cigarette filter. The stupidity of some junkies really astounds me as they seem to equate filtering out nasty particles that you don't want in your veins with also filtering the drug out. Apparently i am one of the few people that actually uses the filters even though they are free ffs! They even give out free crack pipes which i have to admit is abit triggering for me when i go in there as i have been off the coke for over a year now. But hey it's a needle exchange place not a fucking church meeting.

Sadly unlike Vancouver we have little or no treatment facilities here and the wait list to get on methadone is atleast 3 months. And there sure as shit won't be any safe injection sites here anytime soon thanks to the stupid city council that is run by abunch of fucking Presbyterians.

^99% of state run/medicaid/free methadone clinics in the US (well, those I've come across in CA, MA and CT) have crazy waiting lists. Private pay ones are easy to get into and on 'done (a lot charge $40 up front then $10/day thereafter), but even then some private clinics have waiting lists too. It all depends on the state, city and organization. Best way to find a good cheap methadone clinic is generally through talking with people hanging around exchanges, or talking with the folks who staff them of course.

Needle exchanges I've come across (as well as worked at) in Southern CA and Los Angeles and San Diego specifically, they do get a LOT of business. Especially in LA though, I get the feelings that we're only actually reaching a tiny percentage of the IDU community. Part of this is obviously geographics, as LA is not a small compact city like NYC. But on top of that, I also get the feelings that a lot of IDUs avoid exchanges because of related stereotypes. I'm partly referring to the internalization of the negative junkies deserve to die idea, but more so that IDU just don't generally trust people, even those trying to genuinely help them.

I mean, we have (exchanges generally aside) a pretty bad track record when it comes to "helping" IDUs (helping=sending off to jail or locking them up in an institution). It takes a LOT to build trust with active IDU, which is why I thought the peer program discussed in the article was a golden idea. Again, problem in cities like LA being the city is so fucking huge and populations so scattered. Not to mention, while there are a lot of exchange related services here, the percentage of them per population is kinda low compared to NYC. Plus the difference in culture, etc etc

Iono, certainly a lot of junkies do stupid things, but stupidity (a.k.a. junkie wisdom) isn't all to blame for why these harm reduction, life saving services aren't more taken advantage of.

-------------the following is my personal questions in response to some posts here--------------

I rarely use needles these days, let alone shoot dope (well, I can't shoot anything myself as I've been blessed with crazy deep veins, and I'm too much of a pussy to ever try the neck/genitals/hand/etc - so I've only ever IM'd or skin popped the last couple years), but I'm interested in hearing about the cooking issue. Generally when I chip I'll be using something like a medical vial of hydromorphone, but I have IM'd (I only IM, but I'm careful, despite the rampant problems with it, out of injecting drugs into my muscles myself I've been careful and lucky enough to develop exactly 0 abscesses) tar a couple times without issue.

But this cooking issue always bothered me, because most of the time I use tar, rare as it is, it's generally not all that great and almost always requires some significant amount of heat to cook down, as I generally don't have the time to let it sit for the hours it takes to cold cook (although again, some dope I've come across out here it awesome, dissolving almost totally upon contact with H2O, just like that good ole' ECP I used to love).

I mean, I totally understand why not cooking with a lot of heat is a bad harm reduction practice because, like cooking up pills, it dissolves otherwise solid cut which then can get, once heated and dissolved into the solution, sucked through the cotton/filter and injected. Anyways, a problem out here is that almost all the heroin around is tar.

Some of the tar dissolves presto-chango, really no heat necessary. Just a little stirring and it's in solution. But the vast majority of tar I've seen requires serious heat, like I mean boiling the shit down. What's the best practice in this case? With that kinda tar I mean? Sometimes that kinda dope is good too, with little (relatively speaking) cut.

Also, another question, when it comes to cold cooking, how long would it take for the heroin in the water to degrade or whatever into morphine? I ask because back in the day I remember leaving a good bit of filtered dope (tar, high quality) in a capped vial of bacostatic water overnight. The next day when I used it had definitely turned into something else after sitting in water all night (I had used some the night before so I knew it originally was good dope). I remember trying to water-line it the next morning and shit-all happening (a.k.a. nothing), which led me to believe it had degraded into good old morphine, which as we all know has a rather pathetic intranasal BA (where dope does not).

So my question is...

When it comes to prepping tar heroin for injection, what's the best way to prep it w/o resorting to serious heat? How can I cold cook it without it degenerating into something else like morphine?

Not like I have a problem IM'ing morphine, haha, trust me I don't. But when I do chip, and I want to use dope, I don't want to end up using morphine or godknowswhat, if you get my drift....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why you can't cook tar, cool, then micron filter? I thought the risk was filtering hot liquids and then having the dissolved solids congeal back out at body temperature. If you cooled the sol'n down after boiling it, it's basically a mini CWE.

Also, another question, when it comes to cold cooking, how long would it take for the heroin in the water to degrade or whatever into morphine?

depends on the acidity of the solution. 12 hours is a good number for half life @ room temperature & neutral pH. in strongly acid or basic solutions it will degrade faster, & heat speeds the process.

They are extremely liberal in general in BC about everything, with people growing cannabis plants in their front yard without any worry

the cops would tell you otherwise. and last i saw, nobody grows weed in their front yard. maybe if you're a cracked out hippy living in the sticks.

^yes i'm referring to people not living in the actual city lol. Shit my grandmother used to grow cannabis in her garden and in her yard lol. So did my Dad and Uncle.

i've spoken to plenty of cops who do not give one shit if you are smoking cannabis or even in possession of it. They just don't care anymore and haven't for at least the last 10 years, not in Ontario, or here in Nova Scotia at least. The only way you're getting a possession charge is if you are an asshole and/or run into the wrong cop, but for the most part, even from speaking with cops who aren't on duty, they don't care. The amount of times i could have had a possession charge and the cop didn't even take it from me are many and from what i gather, this is quite common. Cannabis use is far more accepted across Canada than it is the US. There's not a day that i'm on my way home from school and don't smell joints burning everywhere. Almost everyone who lives around me smokes daily and it's been that way since i've moved to all different parts of NS from Ontario. BC is just as liberal if not more than here.

When it comes to prepping tar heroin for injection, what's the best way to prep it w/o resorting to serious heat? How can I cold cook it without it degenerating into something else like morphine?

Tar doesn't need any heat. You just have to be patient. And if you aren't patient enough to let it dissolve on its own, you probably shouldn't be shooting drugs in general.

Every time I have had tar, you just push the liquid over the product until it's completely dissolved; no heat necessary.

Righty-Oh Capt'n :) Makes sense, as when I have witnessed others fix, the process seems to center on stirring the dope into H2) w/ the plunger/whatever... Oh well, at least this isn't such a problem for me, as I very rarely chip being on (and preferring the buzz of) buprenorphine and all