Addicts Read This - Vivitrol approved for Opioid Addiction

PoOkIeHeAd

Bluelighter
Alright its time to put up or shut up guys. All the people that say they wanna quit but are doing sub maintenance w/ the intermittent dope use its time to face a real choice. Once you detox you can take one shot of Vivitrol and you wont be able to get high for one month no matter what! It blocks the receptors. I just thought this was relevant for the DS as there are a lot people are here struggling and this could be what you are looking for. If you really wanna quit look to Vivitrol.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1625620420100916

By Susan Heavey

WASHINGTON, Sept 16 (Reuters) - Alkermes Inc's (ALKS.O) Vivitrol drug to treat alcoholics should be approved to help treat people addicted to opioid painkillers, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory panel said on Thursday.

The FDA panel of outside experts, in a 12-1 vote, said the drug could help a desperate group of people with few options to help kick their dangerous addictions. It could also help the biotech, which gets revenue from just one other product.

Sales could reach $125 million by 2015 if the drug wins wider approval, according to Leerink Swann Research Analyst Steve Yoo. Vivitrol's net sales were $20.2 million for fiscal 2010, compared with $16.9 million in 2009 for Alkermes and its then-partner Cephalon Inc (CEPH.O), according to Alkermes.

"We do need tools," said panelist Betty Tai, director of the Center for Clinical Trials Network at the National Institute on Drug Abuse at the National Institutes of Health. "We do need options, and we have so few options for addiction."

The once-monthly injection was approved for alcohol addicts in 2006, but the biotechnology company is seeking to expand its approval. Formal FDA clearance allows the company to legally market the new use and can also impact insurance reimbursement.

That is key as Alkermes now loses money making the drug, which costs the Cambridge, Massachusetts company about $40 million, said Leerink's Yoo. Price and the fact that patients must get the drug at a doctor's office have so far keep many alcoholics away from using it, Yoo and others have said.

Alkermes shares have risen more than 51 percent so far this year ahead of the anticipated expansion. It is also awaiting an FDA decision on its diabetes drug Bydureon.

On Thursday, its shares were halted ahead of the meeting.

After the vote, Alkermes Chief Executive Richard Pops said the company had not disclosed potential sales for the new use should it win FDA's approval and that it was unclear how it would affect profitability for the so-far money-losing drug.

But he told Reuters that the company had a "fully functional" sales team in place already for the alcohol use and was in a "good position to launch" the wider use.

"We'll definitely walk before we run," he said. The FDA panel's support was "such an important milestone." He added that take up among opioid addicts should be better since many see doctors while most alcoholics rely on counseling and other programs.

A few panel members said they were concerned that the company's bid hinged on just one clinical trial done in Russia, but overall the panel said Vivitrol could be useful.

Vivitrol is a new formulation of naltrexone, which has been used for years in an oral form and is available as a generic. Side effects of Vivitrol can include infections, sleep problems and injection site reactions.

"We need to understand this is an adjunct," said panelist Louis Baxter, a New Jersey physician who backed wider use. "There's no one drug that can be a magic bullet."

FDA officials will consider the panel's recommendation as they make their final approval decision, expected by Oct. 12. (Reporting by Susan Heavey; Editing by Bernard Orr)

you may not be ABLE to get high for one month but the DESIRE to get high will still be there...it will remain around for much longer than one month..i assume you could continue to use this new drug but im skeptical of things like this..i think it would jjust lead someone to start taking different drugs...getting clean is about lifestyle changes, big lifestyle changes and thats the hardest part...

the worst thing about this drug is that it blocks off all your opiate receptors which i think would include the natural endorphins that ur body produces. Which in return means you would probably suffer from more depression. Ive taken the naltrexone pill b4 for a couple months n i really didnt like it.

For a second I thought this thread was going to be something groundbreaking. Its the same idea as "Antabuse" - that drug that blocks any feeling of alcohol for alcoholics. They just dont take it.

The physical withdrawals are bad, but the mental is what will continue far longer than a month (maybe a shot that lasts a few years would be interesting...though...I suspect suicide rates would increase from the drug) If the habit is very severe like this recently approved drug says its for; the 30 day mark will be marked each day with a calender...one day closer to being able to feel opiates.

In a "perfect world" an opiate addict would have a medication that more or less covers physical and mental withdrawals. While it itself is not an extremely potent, and addictive substance. But ...I know we're not in perfect world.

Anyways didn't they have those pumps they surgically put in you to prevent highs? Is this just a more simple way of administering it? Well its not a miracle drug;

Perhaps good for someone who wants to commit suicide via overdose - you could somehow sedate them, bring them to the lab, give them this shot, then put the person back in their bed. Its like nothing ever happened.

Ther is adrug called Naltroxene that you can have as an implant that blocks your receptors and getting high.
I;ve had 2 about 10 years ago then i had a breivment close family and i been on h again ever since!
You gotta Want it more than life

Antabuse does not block alcohol, instead, it blocks certain metabolic pathways such that alcohol causes a very physiologically unpleasant (and potentially dangerous) reaction.

Vivitrol? This is a really bad idea, for reasons stated above -- it will make one unable to get high, but will also make one unable to be treated for pain (what if you got hit by a truck halfway through this month of "treatment?") Not to mention blocking the natural endorphins cannot possibly be a positive thing.

Vivitrol is naltrexone in an injectable form. It's very expensive (~$700-800 per injection) and most insurance plans do not cover it. My doctor has been trying for a year to get me to try it as opposed to sub, but until it comes down in price, it's not happening. I have a friend who had to use it as part of a return-to-work agreement, and he said that by knowing he was blocked and couldn't get high, there was no point using, so he didn't.

this sounds totally ridiculous to me. I wouldnt trust some shit that warps my fucking spine and brain receptors like that lol.

a bit OT, but in the spirit of.

hmmm

i have read about a hormone that seems to have a lot if control over opiate/opioid tolerance. why this hasn't been studied more, idk. it would be great for chronic pain management, and helping bring piece of mind to those suffering, but bad for the industry, real bad.

•|||•|||•

and yeah, good question... would this block/interrupt our inert opioid activity/response?

The only medication that I am looking forward to some day having is one that makes me feel NORMAL without doing drugs.

hmmm

i have read about a hormone that seems to have a lot if control over opiate/opioid tolerance. why this hasn't been studied more, idk. it would be great for chronic pain management, and helping bring piece of mind to those suffering, but bad for the industry, real bad.

•|||•|||•

and yeah, good question... would this block/interrupt our inert opioid activity/response?

Supposedly not, but I don't know happens if you lose your arm in a chainsaw accident and need morphine to sew it back on.

Supposedly not, but I don't know happens if you lose your arm in a chainsaw accident and need morphine to sew it back on.

I think this is a very valid point, what would happen if you were in a serious accident and required the aid of an opiate for the pain?

But I guess this is a risk most addicts take anyway since 10-20mg of IV morphine won't do shit for a straight up junkie. Doctors base the doses they use on the fact that the patient should have NO opiate tolerance and may be reluctant to give more. It's one thing that was always on my mind while I was using. End up in a terrible car accident or something, lay up in a hospital in critical condition with no way to kill the pain. Kinda Scary.

High doses of fentanyl and its derivatives would probably overcome the effects of naltrexone, but I don't know that for certain.

I would wager that you could break through it with a high enough dose. Same deal as suboxone you can get high it justs takes alot.

I suppose this is the next logical step up from an implant. As no matter how fiendish you get you wouldn't be able to cut it out like ppl do with naltrexone implants. I have never really heard a positive report regarding naltrexone [pills/implants/rapid detox]. You always hear about bad side effects. Thankfully I have never had to resort to nalt. a few friends have and nothing good ever came from it.

It makes me think back though to an old g/f that went rapid detox [UIC] probably pushing 15 yrs ago. I cant remember what form of naltrexone they used on her when she was 'under' you would think injection. What is different about this new formulation how does it stay in the body for 30 days and remain active, like a depot shot or something.

Personally I think it is just a quick money maker [or at least they will try]. Alot of people made a boat load of money from rapid detox [UROD, etc.] and it makes sense they will try again. I do think people have wised up about naltrexone though and stay away.

peace.
seedless

Its like an abstience jail without really being in jail. When your in jail the first thing you think about is getting high as soon as you can get out, and the people who use this shit will still think about getting high as soon as they can....Fuck this drug, and the pharm. companies that are pushing it.

My husband has been in rehab for the past month and gets out in a few days. His mother is a nurse and suggested vivitrol for him. We looked into it and it just so happened that the rehab psychiatrist prescribed it for the residents there. My husband had been struggling with his opiate addiction for the past year and before that it was alcohol. He is quite pleased to be getting this vivitrol shot so when he gets out there will be less of a temptation. He wants to be clean but has had a hard time doing because he never hit rock bottom.

BTW a normal person receiving vivitrol will usually do so for 3 to 9 months. They are also supposed to get counseling of some sort like NA meetings. My husband was against going to them for a long time. I suggested them along time ago when he was drinking. It wasn't until he went to rehab this time that he he understands what they are about. According to him the people come together and talk about there addiction and problems with themselves and how it's affected their lives and there family and friend's lives. Everyone helps each other to try to stay sober which can be hard and many have to take it one day at a time. Basically the fact that you're helping out someone else (and you can relate) helps you stay clean.

I used to do opiates and other stuff too but opiates were my thing. I stopped after I seen what they were doing to my husband. It used to be something we shared and both looked forward to. His problem was he never wanted to stop using. He's also had several addictions for several years (about half his life and he's 30).

I just want to say that I'm very grateful for NA and AA and vivitrol. It really is a useful tool for someone who is serious about getting clean and sober. I know I will have peace of mind knowing he can't use and during that time his mind and body will have time to heal and recover. Withdrawal symptoms after prolonged opiate use can last for a very significant length of time. I imagine up to two years and one must also understand there could be an underlying issue like depression (I just want to point out that a lot of people use drugs and alcohol to self medicate when they might just need some counseling and and antidepressant). But it does take a while for for ones brain chemistry to go back to normal after they stop using. I believe Vivitrol can be useful in that it's almost guaranteed that you can give yourself that time to recover. I myself last used around thanksgiving of 09. We got some heroin up in KC. I remember that when I was doing it more often that it would take a long time before I didn't have a craving for it. Even now sometimes I wouldn't mind getting a little bit high but then I think how it's ruined our life. Our marriage is on the rocks. I want to have kids one day but refuse to bring children into the world and expose them to this type of lifestyle. I'm very hopeful that my husband continues with his treatment and hope that one day we will be happy and addiction free but right now its too early to tell.

And to anyone who reads this whether they are an addict or a desperate family member looking for help for someone they love, I do empathize with you and wish you the best of luck. To anyone who is looking for help with there addiction- Please try a rehab drug treatment center. They really have a lot to offer. If you are poor like we are, you can probably get free care and counseling and medication such as antidepressant or what ever you may need. It won't be the most pleasant experience in your life but it might help you understand your addiction and how you need to overcome it better. The entire staff at the rehab my husbands in has had some type of addiction and been through the program so it's not like they don't know what you're going through. Not all rehab are like this one, but if you can find on like it, it's really worth a shot. Also, please try to get the support of close family and friends. People are a lot more understanding than you would think. People are a lot more forgiving that you think.

I know this was a blog about Vivitrol but really felt like that needed to be said. I will try to come back to this website soon to see if anyone responds to my post. I wish everyone the best of luck with what ever they are trying to accomplish!

I would not be able to do that kind of medication, for the first I have a medical condition and second it doesn't do anything for my mental craving... Im likelly to be on Subs or Methadone for the rest of my natural life.

I'm guessing it hasn't been approved for alcoholism yet?

Actually, naltrexone, both oral and injectable, was first approved by the FDA for the treatment of alcoholism, as it has been shown to diminish alchohol cravings. Its use for opiate dependency followed.