• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

addictive potential of neuroactive steroids

Do you think that morphine would aggravate an auto immune disease (and hence opiates should be avoided for symptomatic relief in MS and such), while on the other hand opiate antagonists would help suppress the immune system?
Based on the fact that opiates suppress the immune system and antagonists increase immune response, one might predict the opposite. Autoimmune illnesses are due to an immune response (directed at endogenous substances).

What do you think about the whole naloxone for auto immune disease thing? I mean part of it seems sort of a fringe thing - I've only found this study supporting naloxone for treatment of auto immune disease and I don't know if this is a special case http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19033824/

The reason now naloxone is effective in auto immune disease is is due to its blockade of the TLR4 receptor, T receptor that when activated triggers the release of large quantities of pro inflammatory mediators Like cytokines and tumour necrosis factors.
TLR4, receptors are expressed in high numbers in the central nervous system and there activation by almost all opioids seems to be a key component and mediator of opioid tolerance development and to be a key component and mediator of opioid tolerance development and maintenance.
The d isomer of naloxone lax opioid antagonist activity yet has the same are even stronger anti inflammatory benefits as normal naloxone. Also, d/plus naloxone has been shown to prevent opioid tolerance and even reverse or even eliminate it