• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Addicted to Gabapentin, Phenibut, Tramadol, & Caffeine - Reverse Insomnia KILLING ME

DarkStarCrashes

Bluelighter
Addicted to Gabapentin, Phenibut, Tramadol, & Caffeine - Reverse Insomnia KILLING ME

I have been having an issue now one and off for years with the same symptoms - I wake up around 5am with a racing heart, high BP, RACING thoughts, and crippling anxiety. My anxiety is so bad and I wake up with my brain speeding so fast that I have to sit up and move out of my bed to a chair to focus on my breathing. For about an hour my gag reflex is so weak that I have to watch my breathing so I do not start dry heaving or vomiting and I have an urge to cough, which triggers me to vomit either my stomach contents or bile. It *is* possible for me to fall back asleep if I can calm myself down after being awake for 30-45 minutes but by then it will only be a few minutes before I awaken again with the same symptoms.

These problems are causing all sorts of issues. My girlfriend and my family who I live with think I may be using hard drugs again and am just going through morning withdrawals. I wake up at 4:45am-5:00am on Sundays or my days off. The time I awaken is pretty much the same time, often to the minute, regardless of when I had went to sleep. I have been having issues with a couple teeth cracking and I think it is due to puking bile so often. I do not need to wake until 6:30am so I am loosing valuable shut eye time, and I have recently began struggling with some serious depression that is being exaggerated by waking up every day like this.

When I am like this I cannot even speak to my girlfriend or anyone else for that matter because my nerves are so tense and gag reflex so weak that talking can often provoke vomiting. I am also a chainsmoker so at this point I am smoking half a pack of Marlboros before I even clock into my 9-5 job.

Once I can breath and can start to calm my thoughts, I take my "medications". I am currently taking 2g of phenibut/day, 1200mg gabapentin/day, 400mg/tramadol today.

The phenibut and gabapentin are both GABAergics and I have read anecdotal reports of dopamine rebound from the Neurontin and Phenibut - but why would it be at 5am every day when I normally only dose them early in the day.

The Tramadol is also of course an SSRI SNRI and opiod receptoor agonist and I suspect also plays a role in all of this.

Could it just be stress and maybe anxiety disorder? Has anyone else ever experienced any symptoms like this? I NEED my sleep and am so tired of this. What could be causing it every single day and what can I do to let my body wake up gently like I want it to. My thoughts are moving so fast in the morning that I can hardly deal with it. I will have a song playing in my head, have random lines from movies run through it, be thinking about mistakes I've made, and about what I have upcoming during the day all at the same time with no off switch...

sorry but i'm failing to grasp the term 'reverse insomnia', what do you specifically mean by this? suddenly waking up in a panic attack/withdrawals?

It's the Phenibut dude. I cold turkeyed off it and didnt sleep for 10 days. No drug has given me insomnia this bad so I know 100% your problem is for the Phenibut. Everyone that abuses Phenibut has to go through the dreaded insomnia .

Last edited:
I didn't and I surely abused it for about a year at 3400 mg per day. It sounds like the OP has way more going on.

I have been a daily phenibut user for years and manage to avoid withdrawal by always tapering my dosage slowly down to 500mg a day, and then substituting for gabapentin or pregabalin, and then lowering my dosage off of those gradually which for me produces zero withdrawals. Even if I dose phenibut immediately prior to going to bed I still have these same exact symptoms though so I'm not sure why it would be the phenibut...

By reverse insomnia I mean the ability to fall asleep normally but then wake up, oftentimes shortly thereafter, in a state where falling back asleep is not an option which results in spending the entire early morning either laying in bed with my eyes open or forcing myself to start my day off at 4:45am when I don't have work until 9 and I may not have gone to sleep until after midnight.

As far as withdrawal speculation, I can take a dose of every drug that I am taking immediately before sleep and still awaken with these symptoms or I can dose them all only in the morning and wait 24 hours between doses and notice the same.

Last night I actually slept until almost 9am though!!! I only took about 15 soma and 4 tapentadol pills to accomplish it! Permanent solution? Hardly.

Try cutting each drug out of the mix on 3 separate days, maybe that would help you isolate which med is the problem?

And if you'll withdrawal too badly as a result of completely skipping the med you're -testing- that day, just take a very small doses of it instead of your normal dosage for the day.

I'm thinking that might help you figure out the interaction you're having, and you could adjust your doses accordingly.