• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Addicted to a Treatment for Addiction

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Lebanon, Va. — LATE on Christmas night 2013, April Hileman was summoned for a drug test. She had broken the curfew imposed on her by a drug court and relapsed with the opioid pills she’d been hooked on for six years. Earlier that day, Ms. Hileman had driven to a neighbor’s house here in far southwestern Virginia to buy a handful of Suboxone pills, or “Box,” as the drug is sometimes called. After she tested positive, Judge Michael Moore of Russell County ordered her to jail, and her 3-year-old daughter spent the rest of the holidays with relatives.

Like methadone, Suboxone prevents “dopesickness” and reduces cravings, without getting you high. It is now the gold standard for opioid addicts in medication-assisted treatment, or M.A.T. A combination of the opioid buprenorphine and the anti-overdose drug naloxone, Suboxone is supposed to give addicts a chance to get their lives together before they taper off it.

But Suboxone can get you high if you inject it or snort it or take it in combination with benzodiazepines, a sometimes fatal blend. And Ms. Hileman, then 24, did all those things.

Among public health officials, the effectiveness of M.A.T. has become an article of faith; after all, treatment with buprenorphine and methadone has been found to cut opioid overdose deaths in half when compared to behavioral therapy alone, and it’s hard to argue with that. An addict treating his opioid disorder with Suboxone, many argue, is no different from a diabetic taking insulin. But increasingly, law enforcement officials — and many former addicts and their families — are lining up on the other side, arguing that Suboxone only continues the cycle of dependence and has created a black market that fuels crime.

Many judges in Virginia’s drug treatment courts are refusing to approve Suboxone treatment, especially for those who have already abused the drug. But last year the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy announced that it would not fund drug courts that cut off access to M.A.T. Judges who won’t comply will be forced to scale back or scare up additional state and county funds. And now President Obama’s proposed 2017 budget includes $1 billion for the expansion of M.A.T. What looks like a common-sense investment in Washington looks more complicated here in Appalachia, where the OxyContin “hillbilly heroin” epidemic began back in the 1990s and where opioid overdose death rates remain among the highest in the nation. These are the “Box Wars.”

The problem is the plethora of cash-only Suboxone clinics that operate without proper counseling or monitoring procedures. Oversight is crucial because drug testing alone doesn’t effectively reveal whether a participant is taking more Suboxone than prescribed.

For years Ms. Hileman had been “Box shopping”: Addict friends drove her to clinics across the Tennessee border, in Kingsport or Bristol, and paid her visit fees of $100 to $150 in exchange for six or seven Suboxone pills or films, which dissolve in the mouth. Eventually the drug court cut off her M.A.T. But even with a prison sentence of two years and nine months hanging over her head for drug-related felony thefts if she didn’t obey the drug court’s rules, she continued using and selling black-market Suboxone.

Ms. Hileman’s judge, Judge Moore, doesn’t believe in treating people who have abused Suboxone with Suboxone, instead favoring abstinence with rigorous drug counseling and testing, and near daily monitoring by drug-court probation and surveillance officers.

“I know people Suboxone has helped, but unfortunately a lot of the clinics are not forthright in trying to taper people off,” said Mark Mitchell, the Lebanon police chief and a member of Judge Moore’s drug court team.

cont at
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/o...ule=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine

And that's the rub of many treatment facilities. They're in it for the money only and are lothed to taper anyone off of the drugs when they can turn $20 a day on as many people as they can every day.
I had to fight tooth and nail in the clinic system to taper off of methadone. They gave me every reason under the sun to keep me on it as long as I was a profitable commodity for them. The only way I was ever going to get tapered off was to become a miserable SOB to deal with so I became a miserable SOB until they agreed.

Yeah my MMT clinic has a no exceptions policy regarding payment for doses. If you can't pay, you're shit out of luck, and they don't care if you're on 200mg daily and going into acute withdrawal. They even call the cops to remove penniless patients who won't leave on their own. Kind of unethical if you ask me, but I'm just a patient.

If I owned the place, I sure as hell would give patients a dose to tide them over until they have money to pay, but as I stated above, I'm just a patient (who is expected to keep his mouth shut while on the property).

But Suboxone can get you high if you inject it or snort it or take it in combination with benzodiazepines, a sometimes fatal blend.

What the fuck? Suboxone can "get you high" if you take it simply as it's supposed to be taken!

What the fuck? Suboxone can "get you high" if you take it simply as it's supposed to be taken!

Amen! I'm embarrassed to say my source of 2.5 years disappeared Thursday and I've been up shit's creek. I always loved oxy but the price and fear of dependence kept me away....more so the price. I've insufflated dope a few times but was never fond of the scene, at least around me, so I steered clear....plus heroin definitely has a bigger stigma than most drugs.
A coworker started offering me subs for free and it was great....in a mild way...for several months but once tolerance became really noticeable it started to suck.

Suboxone to me was very stimulating. At first I'd dose a couple milligrams an hour after waking up (I work nights so I sleep until noonish) and I'd be energetic and happy until getting home at midnight and then I'd smoke a bowl, nod my head off for an hour, and then start gaming until 4 or 5am. I now go to sleep around 630-7am...because I'm so used to being up that late and having that energy. My dose increased as time went on but those first few months were great. It was like amps without the cloudy head and with the warm blanket of opioids....but not as warm as most others so more like a sheet.

Here I am....I called a clinic but decided I'd rather be done. One thing I think is really helping me is that I started on subs. I don't have the other behaviors to fall back into.
Work has sucked but pot helps a little. Kratom helps a lot but with wanting to be done I use it minimally.

This experience has made me much more appreciative of the time people put into outreach and harm reduction and what not because it really is a bitch being sick.

As time went on though and my dose increased I started to pay. One thing I always found disgusting was that when he'd go to pick up his script each week he'd have to sit through some group therapy/yoga session. He told me on several occasions that sometimes people in the group would overhear someone's dose and complain that they wanted more than they were being scripted....and the doctor would say he's a business and so the people who pay the most get the most. And he was also a guy that had no sympathy for money troubles but I was always able to lend him money to get in there.

Last edited:
Yeah my MMT clinic has a no exceptions policy regarding payment for doses. If you can't pay, you're shit out of luck, and they don't care if you're on 200mg daily and going into acute withdrawal. They even call the cops to remove penniless patients who won't leave on their own. Kind of unethical if you ask me, but I'm just a patient.

If I owned the place, I sure as hell would give patients a dose to tide them over until they have money to pay, but as I stated above, I'm just a patient (who is expected to keep his mouth shut while on the property).
My clinic is the same way. They don't give a fuck if your even just a dollar short. Hell they wont even accept debit or credit cards. Cash money only bitch is what they say.

My clinic is the same way. They don't give a fuck if your even just a dollar short. Hell they wont even accept debit or credit cards. Cash money only bitch is what they say.

Both of our clinics should be ashamed of themselves for not giving their patients one chance to show that the shall pay what is owed on an upcoming date as promised.

I can understand if they refuse to "loan" doses to patients who are not honoring their promise to pay the amount owed at a later date, but having a no exceptions policy for everyone is unethical IMO. Because contrary to popular opinion or perceived notions, not every addict has a bad credit rating LOL (I don't at least).

Both of our clinics should be ashamed of themselves for not giving their patients one chance to show that the shall pay what is owed on an upcoming date as promised.

I can understand if they refuse to "loan" doses to patients who are not honoring their promise to pay the amount owed at a later date, but having a no exceptions policy for everyone is unethical IMO. Because contrary to popular opinion or perceived notions, not every addict has a bad credit rating LOL (I don't at least).

You are absolutely correct. It should be like three strikes your out because people on MMT if missing a dose have the possibility of losing so much more than they gained on ORT. If I was going to be sick, I would call in,

"drug testing alone doesn’t effectively reveal whether a participant is taking more Suboxone than prescribed." Actually thats exactly what proper drug testing can tell you. The program I attend tests the clients taking Suboxone on a weekly basis. This test includes the amount of norbuprenorphine in the urine. This level of metabolite should roughly correlate to the amount of Suboxone the client is prescribed. Weekly groups are also mandatory. These services are covered by insurance. Gosh I wonder why the south has such shady Suboxone clinics compared to other parts of the country? Judge Moore, doesn’t believe in treating people who have abused Suboxone with Suboxone. Fortunately denying these individuals such a basic medical treatment is now illegal.

Last edited:
"In a region where Suboxone seems to have replaced coal as the economic driver, 80 percent to 90 percent of all crimes committed in Russell County are drug-related, most involving black-market Suboxone, law enforcement officials say." I call complete bullshit on this statement. According to prescription monitoring databases drugs like Ambien and Lortab are more commonly prescribed. Per the yearly DEA threat assessment heroin and basic pain meds are far more likely to be found on the black market. If most addicts actually regularly used suboxone illicitly in place of basic opiates the states fatal overdose rate would be drastically lower.

Last edited:
some sub clinics are too bad i have a buddy that his mother owns about 10 sub clinics across louisiana and texas and I went to get on sub treatment and it didn't work for me. I called her after trying to transfer from heroin to sub to let her know it wasn't working for me. she refund my money they were great. I wish I could find a Dr here that would prescribe just bupe without naloxone.

some sub clinics are too bad i have a buddy that his mother owns about 10 sub clinics across louisiana and texas and I went to get on sub treatment and it didn't work for me. I called her after trying to transfer from heroin to sub to let her know it wasn't working for me. she refund my money they were great. I wish I could find a Dr here that would prescribe just bupe without naloxone.

You have to ask to be put on subutex. I would be really sick to the point of throwing up in the morning after I took my dose when I was on the strips and I had migraines frequently. Just explain to your doctor what you are experiencing.

"drug testing alone doesn’t effectively reveal whether a participant is taking more Suboxone than prescribed." Actually thats exactly what proper drug testing can tell you. The program I attend tests the clients taking Suboxone on a weekly basis. This test includes the amount of norbuprenorphine in the urine. This level of metabolite should roughly correlate to the amount of Suboxone the client is prescribed. Weekly groups are also mandatory. These services are covered by insurance. Gosh I wonder why the south has such shady Suboxone clinics compared to other parts of the country? Judge Moore, doesn’t believe in treating people who have abused Suboxone with Suboxone. Fortunately denying these individuals such a basic medical treatment is now illegal.

The accuracy of drug level testing is highly debated.

The accuracy of drug level testing is highly debated.
Thats partly true. It's not impossible for a doctor to realize her client is only taking a few milligrams of Buprenoprhine when in fact they are prescribed upwards of 24 mg. They can look at metabolite levels that fall within a certain range. Now for other clients who divert only small amounts of their medication it would be much harder to pin point misuse or medication abuse. Still with proper testing doctors can stay relatively on top of their clients weekly metabolite levels. If randomly after a year of opiate maintenance and normal tests the metabolite levels are extremely low or extremely high out of the normal range something is likely not right about the results.

i understand your point but a clinic cannot do that, give out doses to patients that havent paid..you know what kind of shitstor that would cause?other patients would feel they didnt have to pay etc etc..

and yeah subuxone will get you high just by swallowing it just as methadone can and will..i reeber the first month on methadone i was in a opiate bubble..

i understand your point but a clinic cannot do that, give out doses to patients that havent paid..you know what kind of shitstor that would cause?other patients would feel they didnt have to pay etc etc...

This is the reason I believe in a three strikes policy. That way everyone gets the same. I heard there may be some financial help through insurance for those that are having a hard time paying. Is this true?

i understand your point but a clinic cannot do that, give out doses to patients that havent paid..you know what kind of shitstor that would cause?other patients would feel they didnt have to pay etc etc..

Sure they can.

Until Jan 1st, 2013 (if I recall correctly), the owner of the clinic and adjacent pharmacy I go to used to allow it on multiple occasions.

There is no law here which states they cannot dispense any doses to tide over the patient until (s)he's able to pay. The reason they stopped doing it is because there was too many cases of patients not paying money owed. They got fed up and now it's a zero tolerance policy. I've had many conversations on the topic with my prescribing doctor and dispensing pharmacist (the latter owns the place) and he was in a bad mood on multiple occasions because patients weren't paying up.

Be that as it may, perhaps he could make an exception for people whose urine samples have been clean for 6 months or so. It's likely that people who dose there every day because of dirty urine samples are the ones who were stiffing him all the time. Surely they should be considered a higher liability when it comes to money in general (no offense to anyone in this group - I was in it for a couple years too).