• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Addicted People Are Still Seen as Unworthy of Life

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
A Truly Awful New York Times Article Shows How Addicted People Are Still Seen as Unworthy of Life

Maia Szalavitz | 7/28/16 said:
Yesterday, The New York Times ran an article alternately headlined “Antidote to Heroin May Encourage Risk Taking,” and “Naloxone Eases Pain of Heroin Epidemic, But Not Without Consequences.”

It suggested that there is increasing public concern that providing naloxone to reverse overdose may do more harm than good.

In fact, it’s that fear—not naloxone—that is dangerous.

Katherine Seelye wrote: “Critics say that [naloxone] gives drug users a safety net, allowing them to take more risks as they seek higher highs.”

However, the only such critic she quoted was not a doctor, researcher or even a mainstream politician. Instead, she had to turn to Paul LePage, the notoriously extremist governor of Maine, who had said “Naloxone does not truly save lives; it merely extends them until the next overdose,” as he vetoed a bill to expand access. (The heartless veto, however, was actually met with outrage and soon overturned).

In America, it’s usually unacceptable to say or even imply that the lives of some people are not worth saving. But people with addiction are an unfortunate exception. In our case, if something that might keep us alive longer might also “enable” our drug use, it’s ok to argue to let us die.

We’ve been through this before with needle exchange, where the fears of religious authorities and ill-informed addiction treatment providers were hyped by the media and used by politicians to oppose it, despite scientific evidence that proved that their concerns were groundless.

Those fears led to years of delay and thousands of needless deaths and HIV infections. When New York state was finally able to broadly expand clean syringe access in the ‘90s and beyond, HIV rates among injection drug users fell from 54 percent in 1990 to just 3 percent in 2012. This prompted state health officials to label the once-controversial intervention as the “gold standard” for HIV prevention.

The data on naloxone is similarly favorable. Indeed, research conducted in Massachusetts found that communities with greater access to naloxone training and distribution programs have half the overdose death rate compared to those with less access.

But you wouldn’t know that from the Times article or its headlines. They didn’t even cite the study, even as the article quoted one of its authors, leaving the impression that this is a matter to be debated based on emotion and politics, not science.

Let’s not go back to those bad old days, where media panic stirs political opposition to harm reduction—and data and the genuine negative consequences of such policy are ignored. The media has a responsibility to present addiction as the health problem that it is, and to always be skeptical and consider potential biases.

No one would claim that people with heart disease shouldn’t be revived multiple times—even if they hadn’t always followed their diet and exercise plan. No one would cover a cancer treatment that didn’t also stop people from dying in car accidents as a failure.

The fact that such an article was even seen to be newsworthy suggests that those of us who want people with addiction to be seen as humans who deserve life have a long fight ahead.
http://theinfluence.org/a-truly-awf...ed-people-are-still-seen-as-unworthy-of-life/

The NYTS shold be ashamed. I have never met a single user who evee wanted to have to use the naran they or anyone else carry. Its like waking up in hell.

The people who think bullshit like this are fucking hypocrites. They need to STFU and mind their own business. Addiction is an ACTUAL disease.

Meanwhile they smoke their cigarettes and go out and get trashed and don't have a problem with that...?

The NYTS shold be ashamed. I have never met a single user who evee wanted to have to use the naran they or anyone else carry. Its like waking up in hell.

Yeah it's pure ignorance. "As they seek 'higher highs' ", give me a break...8)

Do these retards realize that narcan actually saves lives and gives the user an extra lease on life and an extra chance on getting clean or at least getting on suboxone. Do they realize that when giving someone ODing narcan that the user wakes up in literal agony and sever precipitate withdrawals that rivals any pain that any human being has ever felt in his or her life??

I can imagine narcan is something like taking bupe too soon after being on full agonists. Waking up in hell, sounds about right.

I was wondering, we have a Good Samaritan law here in FL that supposedly protects you from arrest if you seek help for somebody that has ODed and the first responders come and find drug paraphernalia at the location. Is that nationwide and what are the specifics? Does anybody care to share an experience they've had or heard of involving that law?

this governor le paige is one of the biggest fattest pieces of shit on earth. That's not the scary part, the scary part is that people actually vote for him...since he's a good christian and all.

he favors laws that allow doctors, EMTS, and nurses (you know, people that actually work for a living) to be sued if they treat overdose victims in any way and the person ends up dying or getting hurt (as a result of the overdose), so the medical staff has to just let them die so they can't get sued

this is the guy that said on tv that the heroin problem in maine is because black guys come over sell heroin and impregnate white girls (that should get him some more votes from trump lovers)...i think it has more to do with white people loving heroin personally.

I can imagine narcan is something like taking bupe too soon after being on full agonists. Waking up in hell, sounds about right.

I was wondering, we have a Good Samaritan law here in FL that supposedly protects you from arrest if you seek help for somebody that has ODed and the first responders come and find drug paraphernalia at the location. Is that nationwide and what are the specifics? Does anybody care to share an experience they've had or heard of involving that law?
Good Samaritan laws are far from nationwide. I know for a fact if your at the scene of an OD in Alabama you will be arrestee.

The last thing I ever wanna have to do is have naloxone used on me. They gotta be kidding. Ignorant fucks.

Let's make casts illegal, because risk-seekers are not scared to break their leg or arm with their risk-taking behavior.
If we take away casts, maybe they will think twice before riding that skateboard.

Let's make casts illegal, because risk-seekers are not scared to break their leg or arm with their risk-taking behavior.
If we take away casts, maybe they will think twice before riding that skateboard.

And while we are at it, let's make those damn riding chairs for people that are too obese to even walk illegal as well. After all, we are just enabling them to get fatter right? And surely it is not a mental health issue that someone eats themselves into that state but a moral issue and they just need more discipline.

And while we are at it, let's make those damn riding chairs for people that are too obese to even walk illegal as well. After all, we are just enabling them to get fatter right? And surely it is not a mental health issue that someone eats themselves into that state but a moral issue and they just need more discipline.

governer lepaige wouldn't go for THAT....hes about 5 lbs away from his fat ass being in one of those chairs. hopefully soon his heart will choke on its own fat

heres a link to him promoting the death penalty for drug dealers:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...calls-use-guillotine-drug-traffickers-n504636

again....i can understand how there are peole this evil in the world...but whats shocking is that they are the majority and elect this fat shit bag

Don't give them ideas.

this is the fucking dumbest thing ive ever read...yea addicts are going to do more dope because they know they have a "net" yea I guess narcan is a net, but its a net of puke shit snot and anything else that comes out of you. no junkie would want to go near a drop of narcan with a ten foot syringe. induced wd is horrible. ive never had it from an od, but from not waiting long enough with bupe.

but from the people I know who have had to get narcanned, they said it was one of the worst feelings ever. yea id rather take the cure than end up on the slab, but you have to pay to play.

Critics say that [naloxone] gives drug users a safety net, allowing them to take more risks as they seek higher highs.

You've got to be a bona fide prohibitionist prick to think like this. These critics - whoever they are - should be ashamed of themselves.