• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall XR neuro/cardio-toxicity and tolerance dependent dose ceiling. Help needed.

Isolation

Greenlighter
Hello, I would like to preface with this with an apology if this is not posted in the correct area. It just seemed to be the one where this post would be the least intrusive to me. I looked through the forum archives and found some chatter on the subject matter I will address but seemed a little bit out of date or not fully answering my question.

I was hoping to get some general insight on the risks associated with the inevitability of dosage increases due to tolerance development from daily use, and where a respectable limit in dose should be placed. The average dose of consistency is 60mg of Adderall XR taken in one administration orally daily. The effects have grown increasingly less profound as sadly anticipated. I have applied a fair number of tolerance maintenance strategies to my life in order to preserve this dose as long as I can. I.e: Basic solutions for digestive tract with acidic abstinence prior to dose intake, magnesium sulfate supplements daily, and 6 days on two days off cycles, in conjunction with properly balanced diet daily. The aforementioned strategies work in my favor but only so much.

So the million dollar question is how would one find the safe dose limit with abstract variables such as unique physiology, amphetamine tolerance, and the sort? By reading FDA guidelines and mandates it seems typical that the maximum dose of Adderall is typically 60mg/daily. I hear people take 90mg/day all the way up to 160mg/day but I can't seem to venture out into those dose territories blindly and was hoping someone with more experience than I could shed light on this.

I know this is a slippery slope I am approaching. In fact I am painfully self aware of it. I just need help figuring out were the reasonable line in the sand is for someone who acknowledges that this is a case of abuse and not medicinal. Thank you to anyone who could share a dialogue with me on this matter.

<3,

Isolation.

There's a bit of an issue with studies regarding long term, high dose use of mixed amphetamine salts, as in there's almost none that have reliable controls or data that doesn't come from acute toxicity from ER/A&E admissions. Most data in the hyper-therapeutic dose range is going to be of the self reported/ anecdotal type or from animal studies.

As for 60mg per day:
Long-term cardiovascular effects of mixed amphetamine salts extended release in adults with ADHD.

CONCLUSION:
Cardiovascular effects of long-term MAS XR (<or=60 mg/day) were minimal in otherwise healthy adults with ADHD. Nevertheless, vital signs should be monitored prior to and during treatment with any stimulant.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16344839

Cardiotoxicity is reported only by a few people who take Adderall. We study 28,112 people who have side effects while taking Adderall from FDA. Among them, 3 have Cardiotoxicity.

The thing is if you aren't experiencing hypertension, tachycardia or palpitations then cardiotoxicity might not be a big issue, never the less you have to decide when diminishing returns and side effects vs benefit ratios begin to change.
Tolerance is always going to be a problem with drugs like Adderall and you might be able to extend the effects by increasing the dose into the 100mg+ dose range, but for how long? I really don't think you're going to find the magic max dose ceiling because of a myriad of variables, some of which you mentioned.

The sustained high doses are more likely to contribute to psychological issues than cardio or neuro toxic ones considering you don't have problems with exertion that might cause hyperpyrexia or elevated body temps at or above 40*c, as that's when damage can occur. Usually psychosis becomes an issue without awareness of it in the user, and of course addiction specifically relating to long term factors like ΔFosB but I won't get into that.

I hope you find your answer(s) but I don't think it's going to be as specific as what you're looking for. Good Luck and Stay Safe