• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall XR + Effexor XR - How to avoid side effects/interaction?

royerlraph79

Bluelighter
Hey there!

I'm currently being prescribed Adderall XR 20mg (for ADD and motivation) along with Effexor XR 225mg (for OCD, anxiety and depression) and I would like to know if there is a way to reduce the side effects I get when since I take them both in the morning (I get insomnia when I take Effexor on the evening, I tried). The side effects include palpitations (about 100 bpm at rest), increased anxiety, stress, mood swings (feeling good for awhile then the other instant feeling anxious and depressed). If I try to take Adderall at 8 AM for example and then take Effexor 1 or 2 hours later, would that avoid any interaction between both meds? Therefore reducing unpleasant side effects? Also, I take Divalproex 500mg twice a day (morning and evening). Since Divalproex is Valproic Acid, could it interact or reduce the effect of one or both other meds? I'm seeing my pdoc this Friday and may change my current antidepressant for Prozac (since it doesn't inhibit noradrenaline it may help I suppose) and maybe even the stimulant, but I would like to know what people here think just so I can be more informed before accepting any changes blindly. For your information, I've already tried Vyvanse (up to 60mg) and had a horrible crash about 5 hours later. I also tried Concerta (up to 36mg) which only stressed me out and Ritalin SR (initial dose, don't remember exactly) which did nothing. So anyway, thanks in advance for the advice! :)

I take adderall 55 mg and effexor 150 mg and i have the same heart rate 100 bpm at rest. I go to my general doctor and he took a ultra sound i think and ekg of my heart to make sure i didnt have anything wrong with my heart and i have normal bp 118 over 78. I exercise at the gym 5 x a week

I heard that Effexor potentiates amphetamines, I don't know if it is true though

I am prescribed 30mg of adderall XR and 37.5mg of Effexor. What I do is take the adderall first thing in the morning at 8-9am and then the Effexor later in the afternoon between like 3-5pm, this way it also isn’t very close to when I go to sleep either(11:30pm-12:30pm). This way by the time you take the Effexor, the majority of the adderall effects are wearing off as the adderall is metabolizing out of your body, and this way there isn’t too much interaction between the two drugs.

Now I do know I’m on the lowest dose prescribed of Effexor, and I chose to not go up on it because my previous anti depressant was Zoloft and when I started it at 25mg it seemed to help a bit, then they raised it to 50mg and again I think it was still helping in general, and then the doctor rose it up to 100mg and I began to get really crappy side effects like insomnia, and feeling quite anxious with manic/fast paced thoughts, and sort of a feeling like I wanted to crawl outta my skin. I think it basically induced a hypo-manic episode in me once I got to the higher dose of 100mg Zoloft, so we tapered off it (which also sucked btw, cause now I’m getting a mix of SSRI withdrawal symptoms mixed with the symptoms/side effects from the Zoloft itself that were awful, so for a few months I just felt pretty shitty in general, thankfully I asked if they could prescribe an anti-psychotic and they gave me 25mg seroquel each night for sleep which did help a bunch.) Anyways, I’d always found that tramadol seemed to have this amazing antidepressant effect for me, which I figured was caused by it’s SNRI properties so that’s why I asked for Effexor to be prescribed next as an SNRI. But I don’t even want to tempt fate and end up with another bad experience by upping the dose and being fine for a while until it really builds up in my system and then ending up in that agitated, scattered hypomanic state again, so yeah I’m cool with just chilling at the lowest dose of 37.5mg effexor, I think it helps a bit and doesn’t have many noticeable side effects. ^Sorry for the tangent lol.

^But I guess my point was since you are on a super high dose of Effexor, there is probably a much bigger, and very real interaction between the adderall and the Effexor, so I’d recommend spacing them out about 8 hours like I mentioned.

I am prescribed 30mg of adderall XR and 37.5mg of Effexor. What I do is take the adderall first thing in the morning at 8-9am and then the Effexor later in the afternoon between like 3-5pm, this way it also isn’t very close to when I go to sleep either(11:30pm-12:30pm). This way by the time you take the Effexor, the majority of the adderall effects are wearing off as the adderall is metabolizing out of your body, and this way there isn’t too much interaction between the two drugs.

Now I do know I’m on the lowest dose prescribed of Effexor, and I chose to not go up on it because my previous anti depressant was Zoloft and when I started it at 25mg it seemed to help a bit, then they raised it to 50mg and again I think it was still helping in general, and then the doctor rose it up to 100mg and I began to get really crappy side effects like insomnia, and feeling quite anxious with manic/fast paced thoughts, and sort of a feeling like I wanted to crawl outta my skin. I think it basically induced a hypo-manic episode in me once I got to the higher dose of 100mg Zoloft, so we tapered off it (which also sucked btw, cause now I’m getting a mix of SSRI withdrawal symptoms mixed with the symptoms/side effects from the Zoloft itself that were awful, so for a few months I just felt pretty shitty in general, thankfully I asked if they could prescribe an anti-psychotic and they gave me 25mg seroquel each night for sleep which did help a bunch.) Anyways, I’d always found that tramadol seemed to have this amazing antidepressant effect for me, which I figured was caused by it’s SNRI properties so that’s why I asked for Effexor to be prescribed next as an SNRI. But I don’t even want to tempt fate and end up with another bad experience by upping the dose and being fine for a while until it really builds up in my system and then ending up in that agitated, scattered hypomanic state again, so yeah I’m cool with just chilling at the lowest dose of 37.5mg effexor, I think it helps a bit and doesn’t have many noticeable side effects. ^Sorry for the tangent lol.

^But I guess my point was since you are on a super high dose of Effexor, there is probably a much bigger, and very real interaction between the adderall and the Effexor, so I’d recommend spacing them out about 8 hours like I mentioned.
That manic feeling you got from the Zoloft I experienced it too when I was on 200 mgs, Effexor XR didn't do it as much however

Venlafaxine and amphetamine doesn't SOULD like a good mixture. The latter causes serotonin release, the former reduces reuptake. Alone venlafaxine has produced serotonin-syndrome at therapeutic doses. I'm not a doctor but the truth is that few doctors really choose the best medicine for YOU, rather they will tend to have an antidepressant that has given good results and stick to it.

My father was prescribed diazepam and amitriptyline for YEARS until he went to a different pharmacy and they refused to fill the prescription because their was a known interaction. My father just took his prescription somewhere else and it was filled without issue. I don't know if their is an interaction but I suspect most pharmacists will fill anything - after all, they aren't doctors....

Be VERY careful of SR formulations. The do not produce the steady-state plasma levels you might presume is the entire point. They tend to delay onset, peak after a couple of hours and just slow down the rate at which plasma levels drop. The theory is that upon chronic dosing, they will arrive at a steady-state. They don't.