• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall v.s. Ephedrine - Superior Decongestant?

muie

Bluelighter
The conditions in my apartment are such that I could benefit from a humidifier which I had but broke, even with the humidifier I would get congested just not as bad. Occasionally I suffer from severe nasal congestion, especially during the nighttime when it becomes extremely difficult to breath and sleep.

I know that ephedrine is possibly the oldest and most widely used decongestant around the world and since ephedrine is found naturally in the Ephedra herb it must have a history of use since the beginning of time! Eventually they came out with pseudoephedrine however in comparison with ephedrine, I find pseudoephedrine to last longer, have more side effects and it gives an increase in heart rate & blood pressure (palpitations) as opposed to the mental stimulation ephedrine provides. I usually find 4mg-6mg ephedrine is enough to clear me up, anymore would increase my heart rate too much along with blood pressure. I have almost zero tolerance to stimulants aside from coffee and the occasional ephedrine energy boost consisting of 16mg and some coffee.

The downside to ephedrine is that it severely lowers my immune system. It also eliminate my methadone quicker and I'm on MMT so I really use these simulants only when it gets to the point I cannot breath in both nostrils.

Amphetamines have a long history of use as decongestants as well, so I got to wondering which would be superior overall. I have access to 8mg ephedrine instant release tablets and 20mg Adderall time release capsules (which I grind up to a powder for instant release).

Which would be the best decongestant with minimal increase in heart rate & blood pressure, keeping in mind that I'm on MMT, and on clonazepam for anxiety & panic attacks, so you can say I'm sensitive to stimulants in that regard.

Which is the superior decongestant between Adderall and ephedrine, overall?

Last edited:
Adderall is only 25% L-Amphetamine (only half as much as in benzedrine), which is the enantiomer that's primarily responsible for the decongestant effect, meaning that no, Adderall isn't a good decongestant.

^ also you have to recognize that they would select the one that does not have direct stimulant effects as their choose of OTC meds, just like the opioid anti diarrhea drugs they pick ones that make sense for the job in a variety of ways but again i dont know for sure. I do know that the L isomer has more of the "side effect" profile but that doesnt mean is a big measurable difference.

I am pretty sure stimulants help with congestion through constriction of blood vessels. I have one memory when i was a junior in college for my advanced inorganic chem final i had a cold and Adderall, the Adderall cured my cold and i put it together that stimulants work this why by making the inflamed blood vessels smaller so you can breath but i dont really know. As far as whether or not its better, Adderall was way better then the cold meds i was taking for it legitimately. If not for getting sick during finals and using adderall to study i wouldnt have this first hand account.

I can see how this would work. Meth does an incredible job as a decongestant. What is very interesting is even if I have allergies, hay fever or something bothering me beyond simply the nasal congestion, it clears up right away with amps. Even the runny eyes and other hay fever type effects. Or perhaps thats just the perception, not sure.

Considering your situation OP, I'd say the adderall would be better for you only if it doesn't eliminate your methadone like the ephedrine does. I have no idea whether it does or not but someone else might know.

Do allergy pills like Cetirizine (sold OTC as Zyrtec) and saline nasal spray help you? Or what about Loratadine and pseudoephedrine?