• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Adderall, Naltrexone questions

wild_one

Greenlighter
Hey there. I've recently received a prescription for Adderall XR 10 mg. I also take Naltrexone 50 mg. I have a question about how these two may interact, and also a question about dosing.

I'll ask the question about dosing first: This only applies to the Adderall. Today was my first time taking a stimulant in a long time. I crushed up 1 Adderall XR 10 mg and parachuted it. I am a 27 yo female, 5'8" /173 cm, and 145ish pounds/66 kg/~10 stone. This dose is a lot less than what I used to take, and actually this is probably the only time I've ever taken a dose as low as 10 mg. I am wondering if this dose is sufficient to get high at my height and weight. I'd love some feedback. :)

My question about taking Naltrexone and Adderall. So today I took Naltrexone 50 mg at about 11:00 AM. I have taken Adderall today several times. My first dose was at about 3:30 PM (15:30) and I took one 10 mg Adderall XR capsule. My next two doses I crushed the beads and then swallowed them, these doses were around 4:00 PM (16:00) and then later at 7:30 PM (19:30). My fourth and final dose was taken 55 minutes ago at 9:40 PM (21:40) where I crushed the beads correctly and parachuted it. Throughout the day I experienced no euphoria. I got a slight "high" feeling after the second dose but it wasn't what I had expected based on past experiences. I've read online and found only a couple of articles that suggest that taking Naltrexone can diminish the high from Adderall and get rid of the euphoria. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience, or if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Something I need to mention about my 2nd and 3rd (but not 4th) doses of Adderall today is that I did not crush the beads very well. This was my first time doing it and I only managed to crush maybe between 1/4 and 1/2 each time.

Other medications I take are Wellbutrin XR 300 mg and Prozac 40 mg which I took this morning at the same time as the Naltrexone. I also took 25 mg of Trazodone sometime last night. I also have not recently done any recreational drugs besides today or drank alcohol.

If you've made it this far thanks for reading all of this. :) I hope I can get some answers!

You are on naltrexone to treat alcoholism, I'm assuming?

It will reduce the recreational effects of stimulants. And the wellbutrin will reduce the effect of the adderall.

Problem is, even without the naltrexone and wellbutrin, adderall just isn't that euphoric. Any euphoric effects are gone within an hour or so after taking it, after which it just turns into residual stimulation.

Welcome to bluelight by the way. Or should i say, welcome to posting on bluelight (looks like you registered 6 years ago yet never posted till now, feel free to ask anything there are no stupid questions here, we encourage inquisitiveness).

Thanks for responding to my post so quickly and with so much information!

Yes, the Naltrexone is to treat alcoholism. And the reason I mention euphoria is because I feel I was experiencing euphoria in the past when I would take Adderall. For me it was kind of a similar feeling to taking cocaine (or at least "cocaine"). I have read a lot though that Adderall is not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:
Well the naltrexone and wellbutrin together will "dim the volume" of the adderall euphoria you once experienced (so will age to some degree).

Naltrexone reduces dopamine release, and wellbutrin, being a dopamine/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, will also reduce adderall's ability to release dopamine and norepinephrine (thus reducing the high). So unfortunately it's going to be a bit of an uphill battle. If you push the dose you might be able to recapture a bit of what you once felt but with increased side-effects

Coming in a little late here but, it was to my understanding from a purely pharmacological perspective that naltrexone only effects opioid receptors specifically mu (MOR), kappa (KOR), and delta (DOR). Naltrexone I know is used for the treatment of alcoholism. There is no indication of naltrexone having any impact on amphetamine or its actions. Therefore, this shouldn't impact the effects of the Adderall. The Wellbutrin on the other hand has been shown to reduce light methamphetamine use. Which may be contributing to the lack of effects with your Adderall. The Wellbutrin works with the dopamine and norepinephrine transporter and trazodone works directly with serotonin. All of these will have an impact on your Adderall's effects.