• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall=Methamphetamine?

amphetiman

Greenlighter
So today my parrot was browsing youtube when she came across a video claiming that adderall is equal to meth. My parrot is aware that the chemical difference between the two is one methyl, but my parrot has a hard time believing that adderall could have a very similar effect as Meth. Can anyone who has tried methamphetamine as well as adderall shed any light on this for my parrot. My parrot is very thankful for any help.
here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhdqhIIm4cQ

No parrot can cogitate to such an extent, let alone relay such notions to a human. We know it's you, bud.

Didn't watch the whole thing, but if Carl Hart actually stated that adderall and meth are the same thing, he's wrong. And I doubt that he did, because Hart is a leading figure in the industry. Going along with that, he's also controversial and has a very non-conventional viewpoint on things like drug addiction, which makes any mistake, however small, a hug deal. His opponents would have a field day with it.

Adderall is composed of two general compounds which are both amphetamine, but which break down into four amphetamine salts. It's a mystery to me why they chose these four specific salts, but I do have a theory. One of the two general compounds that compose adderall can be thought of in a general sense as more stimulating, the other more rewarding. They're both amphetamine, they're just re-arranged in space differently.

Amphetamine use can be maintained for a long time if it's prescribed and one doesn't abuse it, gets sleep, eats, socializes, and does everything else that a normal healthy person should. Use it typically at or below 60mg per day. It's not benign even at or below 60mg/day, in fact it may in fact be toxic at just about any dose, but it isn't likely to cause rapid degeneration at that dose either, assuming one take care of themself.

Meth is a lot more toxic than amphetamine, and I'm under the impression that it's roughly twice as potent. Even if you do everything you can to stay healthy, it will still damage your brain. It's also a lot more rewarding. And when people buy meth, they're usually buying super high doses. If we calculate that a maximum therapeutic dose of meth, based on that of amphetamine and the conversion ratio, is 30mg, then you can see how people tend to way overshoot that mark when they take meth for recreation. I mean tens of times more than the therapeutic dose.

They're definitely not the same, despite chemical similarity.

His argument was dumb. The methyl grouping difference (which he admitted to) makes it a different drug. The fact that the drugs are both amphetamines and have roughly similar effects doesn't change that fact. Take 30 mgs of d-amphetamine and then take 30 mgs of d-methamphetamine and the tell me that they're the same thing. :)

His argument was dumb. The methyl grouping difference (which he admitted to) makes it a different drug. The fact that the drugs are both amphetamines and have roughly similar effects doesn't change that fact. Take 30 mgs of d-amphetamine and then take 30 mgs of d-methamphetamine and the tell me that they're the same thing. :)

True words here. I completely agree.

They are definitely not the same thing.

No parrot can cogitate to such an extent, let alone relay such notions to a human. We know it's you, bud.

Didn't watch the whole thing, but if Carl Hart actually stated that adderall and meth are the same thing, he's wrong. And I doubt that he did, because Hart is a leading figure in the industry. Going along with that, he's also controversial and has a very non-conventional viewpoint on things like drug addiction, which makes any mistake, however small, a hug deal. His opponents would have a field day with it.

Adderall is composed of two general compounds which are both amphetamine, but which break down into four amphetamine salts. It's a mystery to me why they chose these four specific salts, but I do have a theory. One of the two general compounds that compose adderall can be thought of in a general sense as more stimulating, the other more rewarding. They're both amphetamine, they're just re-arranged in space differently.

Amphetamine use can be maintained for a long time if it's prescribed and one doesn't abuse it, gets sleep, eats, socializes, and does everything else that a normal healthy person should. Use it typically at or below 60mg per day. It's not benign even at or below 60mg/day, in fact it may in fact be toxic at just about any dose, but it isn't likely to cause rapid degeneration at that dose either, assuming one take care of themself.

Meth is a lot more toxic than amphetamine, and I'm under the impression that it's roughly twice as potent. Even if you do everything you can to stay healthy, it will still damage your brain. It's also a lot more rewarding. And when people buy meth, they're usually buying super high doses. If we calculate that a maximum therapeutic dose of meth, based on that of amphetamine and the conversion ratio, is 30mg, then you can see how people tend to way overshoot that mark when they take meth for recreation. I mean tens of times more than the therapeutic dose.

They're definitely not the same, despite chemical similarity.

I read somewhere that when Adderall was invented, the mixed the salt into different components to circumvent a
patent that was competing at the time from another pharm company. I've also heard that the levoamphetemine was added to avoid misuse at high does, but whether or not this is true I have no idea. They do still make an adhd med that uses pure dextroamphetamine, but I cant remember what its called. Vyvanse is like an extended release version of dex, and Ritalyn is sytheic substitute (methyphenadate?). Meth is more intense and "cerebral" imo but apparently they still make desloxyn, a pharm meth that schedule II.

They do still make an adhd med that uses pure dextroamphetamine, but I cant remember what its called.

It's called Dexedrine. And it's worth pointing out that they actually still make an ADHD med containing pure methamphetamine hcl. It's called Desoxyn.