• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall for ADHD after being on suboxone.

roxyman89

Greenlighter
Hey guys, Some history..I was diagnosed with ADHD back in high school and was sent to a few psychologist and psychiatrist and even my school teachers had to answer some questions from the doctors. They started me on straterra and a few others before we settled on adderall. It worked extremely well for me I could finally think clearly and sit still. I was given it for 3 years then I changed docs and he wasn't interested in keeping me on it so I was taken off of it in 2008. One thing worth mentioning is I never abused it. This was 2 years before I tried my first opiate which was my weakness. At that point I had not yet became an addict if that makes sense. I'm not saying your not born that way just trying to get the point across. I didn't even know it was a controlled substance. So long story short 2 years later I started abusing opiates. In 2011 I started on suboxone for treatment. Been on subs ever since without any relapse . just a few weeks ago I started weening myself down. And I'm super low right now and will be jumping off soon. This is a pretty big step for me but I'm actually doing really well tapering my dose. I'm just ready to be off of suboxone and all opiates. I plan to be completely off within a couple weeks or so.

My current job involves a ton of math and paperwork along with the need for my attention to be sharp. I've had 3 seperate occasions were these issues have caused strife at the work place for myself. Now I'm not stupid or anything but damn I'm scatter brained like crazy.

Now the question...being that it's a schedule drug Is there even a possibility of my doctor considering me getting back on adderall with my past history with addiction ? How can I best go about this with him or her? I don't currently have a primary care doc. I'm just struggling with even asking but I know how much it helped me in the past.

Is he going to want to start from scratch ? Will the fact that I was diagnosed with ADHD years back help at all ?

Guys I just wanna say thanks ahead of time to everyone. Your time is truly appreciated.

Talk to your doctor about this.

If you have ADD/ADHD it is possible to take your medication or have someone give it to you so that you do not abuse it.

Do you go to any sobriety groups at all, or have a network of support? Those things can help a lot.

it vastly depends on the doctor. my psychiatrist is an idiot hardass (ie, doesn't "believe in benzos") and won't even consider putting me on a stimulant ADD med despite my severe and life altering ADD I have been diagnosed w/ since I was a teen and having another condition that is best treated w/ a stimulant. he won't prescribe any even vaguely "abuseable" med to anyone w/ any addiction history whatsoever. god I really need to find a new psych.
some doctors will prescribe benzos and stimulants while one is on suboxone.
it varies.

Thanks for the responses. I do get some NA meetings but not like I used to and I know I need them. I now have a child and he's been a big help as well.

Yea, now there's another reason to regret my drug use. I actually considered not mentioning my suboxone use but I'm sure they would figure it out eventually if not immediately.

Plus I'm not gonna lie about it. Not worth it.

it vastly depends on the doctor. my psychiatrist is an idiot hardass (ie, doesn't "believe in benzos") and won't even consider putting me on a stimulant ADD med despite my severe and life altering ADD I have been diagnosed w/ since I was a teen and having another condition that is best treated w/ a stimulant. he won't prescribe any even vaguely "abuseable" med to anyone w/ any addiction history whatsoever. god I really need to find a new psych.
some doctors will prescribe benzos and stimulants while one is on suboxone.
it varies.

Sorry man maybe you need to find another doc. I'm sure this isn't an option or you would have already done it.