• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall focus vs euphoria

U

Unregistered12342

I'll preface by saying i've been taking adderall for about two weeks now and the euphoria is beginning to wear off. While I quite enjoyed the release of dopamine, I do not mind it being gone as long as it will still help me stay focused and prevent me from blurring out during work sessions, as I tend to do. I'm prescribed 10 mg twice a day. While I do have many symptoms of adhd it's not extreme and I can function, in my opinion not too bad without it. My main question is, is there a difference between the release of dopamine and the increased focus? Or is the dopamine what causes you the willpower to focus? Will continuing adderall give me steady improvement in concentration and focusing, or will it lead me to needing to up my dosage(which I'm not willing to do). Also if I continue to take this dosage, and decide to get off of it, will being on it for longer make it harder to get off? thanks for your help.

Amphetamines method of action is a lot more complex than "releasing dopamine" I'm no neurochemist though.

If you continue to use amphetamine you will experience diminished effects if you don't take breaks. You can keep raising the dose to continue getting your increased focus but this isn't sustainable and unless used extremely responsibly it will stop working completely.

Using amp for euphoria is a dead end road, you'll stop getting that euphoria pretty quickly as your nuerotransmitters become more depleted.

It like to point out that the 'focus' effect of stimulant adhd medication is primarily due to the release of norepinephrine.

It's easy to mistake euphoria for focus. Euphoria can make anything seem interesting, and you might associate euphoria with the focusing effects of the medication. However the two are very much separate from one another. Clinical trials have shown that the focus effect of amphetamines (the part that helps reduce the symptoms of adhd) does not decrease much during prolonged usage. They have found that after 3-4 months of being on the same dosage some people see less benefit from the same dosage of medication and increase the dosage to compensate.

While the focusing effects of the medication may deteriorate slowly over the course of a few months, the euphoria subsides in a matter of days to a couple weeks, something you are noticing right now.

The focusing effect will be present much longer than the euphoria. Adhd medication isn't supposed to make you feel good all the time, it's just a pleasant side effect when you first begin taking the medication.