• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and unrelated insamnia

Judd9806

Greenlighter
Howdy ho all! Hope this is the right spot to post this, if not, sorry, im new to the site.

So, heres my situation. I suffer from insamnia from a young age but found cannabis to be a great cure, but im soon changing careers and will need regular drug tests courtesy of PennDOT, so i have quit all use of the tree. Since then ive cycled from being up for upwards to 84hrs straight and sleeping for 18+ hours a day. Im perscribed adderall 2x a day at 5mg each for add, but after being up for a full day, ill stop taking it to try to help me sleep and to see if it is the cause of my insomnia, which i have found it isnt at all. I have a appt with my behavioral doc in 2 weeks and wanna research my options before talking to him because adderall really helps me alot and i dont want to change that medication! So is it heard of of taking adderall ir in the day and sleep meds at night? And if so do you guys have any recommendations i can research before my visit and then talk to my dr about? This sleep schedual or lack of one us really screwing up my phycy...

welcome mate :)

taking amphetamines to wake up and benzos to go to bed at night is going to wreak havoc on you circadian rhythm (aka internal body clock).
although the adderall itself might not be the cause of your insomnia (haha, sorry had to), this barrage of uppers and downers is almost certainly the culprit. you need to let you body wake and sleep naturally, and once you stop stressing it out with those meds you'll notice that you fall asleep easier and feel more rested when you awake i would bet you money.

Last edited:
1. Don't use neuroleptics, as they'll block the effects of the Adderall.

2. Use melatonin every night.

3. Use Zopiclone or Zolpidem when needed, but no more often than 5 x / week.

If you go without either for 2 days you're probably clean or almost so. That means you can start over without getting physically dependent. Use them on weekdays and then get clean during the weekend.

This

I don't really suffer any rebound symptoms from z-drugs if they're taken at low doses (like 5mg). I could see 5x a week being okay if youre sticking to low doses, but anything more and I would agree with keeping. And at 5x a week, you'll definitely get some tolerance.

Judd, how do you know that the addy isn't causing your insomnia? Have you tried taking an extended break from it? I also think the uppers/downers daily combo is dangerous territory

1. Don't use neuroleptics, as they'll block the effects of the Adderall.

2. Use melatonin every night.

3. Use Zopiclone or Zolpidem when needed, but no more often than 5 x / week.

#2^ melatonin would probably suit you best for this issue. And like Båtmannen said use the z-drugs only when needed if you decide to go that route.

melatonin is not enough and it has issues of its own, from the looks of it, pregabalin would be more suitable.

Yeah Lyrica is effective, the only thing I didn't like about it is it seems tolerance builds fast, for me anyways. It wasn't cheap either :p