• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall and other Stimulants versus Anxiety

Kawasaki88

Bluelighter
Hello everyone!

I am new here and wanted to start a discussion about the use of stimulants and how to overcome anxiety once on them and up for a night or two. Personally, I find I am very productive on Adderall; however, when I am coming down I tend to feel a sense of being hopeless and depressed. Another thing I have noticed is it is hard to be alone at times on them, and can be difficult to fight emotions when using them. What do you guys think, and what works best for you in your personal experience?

Hey kawasaki, welcome to BL.

Obviously the first bit of advice would be don't stay up on them all night! ;) Your brain isn't designed to handle that very often, and you'll always feel bad no matter what you do. Typically, if you believe you need to use adderall, you'd take it early in the day so you can be productive, but still able to sleep at night.

If you really can't limit usage like that, try not to focus on the hopeless and depressed thoughts and feelings when you get them, even though they're there. Do something else - keep occupied. Planning the days ahead can help - write lists of what you have to do the next day, of any projects you need to undertake. This helps keep your mind occupied and keeps you feeling productive until you can go to sleep.

Thank you so much for your response! Yeah, usually I am fine, but lately its like this hopeless alone feeling the day after yet I still cannot fall asleep which equals no fun! I find the hardest part about it all is the fact that what goes up must come down. It can be tough to accept when your completely unhappy and feeling drained after non-stop excitement. Some people seem perfectly fine on it and handle it very well, it amazes me that they do not get down afterwards.

So I wanted to throw an update out there. I took an adderall earlier today, and got a lot done. Cleaned, worked on videos for my YouTube channel and a bunch of other stuff. It is starting to wear off, and I always feel so down afterwards and am not sure why. I wish I could stay at that productivity level forever, but it always seems horrible once it wears off. Is there a way to combat this?

Hey I have the same problem, I get super anxious on the comedown for the rest of the day until I go to bed, exactly why I stopped taking Adderall.

If you have access I would recommend a low dose of some Benzodiazepine such as Xanax or Valium on your comedown. However I'm not sure how much you take Adderall so if you're taking it enough to get addicted obviously don't take the Benzos too, as you may become addicted to them too.

Your best bet for dealing with the "come-down" phase of stimulant usage is going to be a sedative of some kind. Amphetamines are great, sure. It's not just you that they make productive. Every living thing that has ingested Amphetamines has at one point remarked "Wow, I'm a better person on this shit; more focused, more driven, more handsome...". It would be strange if they didn't make you feel this way. Of course the downside is when they wear off. There is usually that period in the come-down when you are still pretty stimulated but are beginning to feel depressed and anxious. If you're not going to be productive, it would be best to take something that will help you get to sleep.

Benzodiazepines are the obvious choice. I would recommend a normal, average dosage of a Benzodiazepine to help induce sleep or in the very least, help with the anxiety. Benzodiazepines are very safe drugs when used in a fairly responsible manner (not for weeks on end, not in conjunction with other depressants). It would actually be in the interest of your health to take a Benzodiazepine, as your body needs the sleep following Amphetamine usage.

Thank you so much Kelf and DerDieb. I appreciate the feedback a lot, and it is nice to know that I was not alone. I ended up taking some seroquel and that did the trick. Not only did it take the anxiety away, but it made me completely content and happy. I did get hungry and end up eating a lot, but other than that it was very enjoyable. I avoided the benzo's because of the high potential for abuse.