• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall and klonopin

sonicwhite

Bluelighter
My doc started me on Adderall for my ADD impulsive type. I’m just curious. Does klonopin cancel out Adderall. I’m prescribed 3 mg a day of klonopin and 20 mg IR OF Adderall in the morning. I want to do things correctly. Just get my life in order and go to college.

From my perspective I don’t think it will but you have to put into account I don’t take my 3 mg rather I take about a 1.5 a day of klonopin. I just don’t want to cancel out my Adderall for 1 mg of klonopin.

It does not render it useless or anything but like daily medicating with benzos do anyway, be it sober or not, will have remarkable alteration.

I really think I have impulsive ADD; my psychiatrist just retired and said she wanted me to take a stimulant; alas, on methadone, 3mg klonopin, it was a non starter. Im down to 1mg klonopin; maybe time to revisit the issue. Had pretty impressive results from wellbutrin; I was on 3mg klonopin for tremor; but that has died down at least a bit; and I want to study for a masters degree.
I guess taking klonopin alone is remarkable in its effect; regardless of taking a stimulant; which will still help; but the benzo is a seperate issue is what I am hearing

In my personal experience the issue with benzos like Klonopin combined with Adderall is that as a almost miracle sleep aid they stopped working so I needed more and more to fall asleep to get up for class.

This is somewhat unique if your taking solely for tremor in the morning and seemingly not for sleep or anxiety. I wouldn't worry primarily on the Adderall being weakened. Rather on any signs of needing higher doses of Klonopin because my tremor drug (benztropine) does impair my memory slightly and I take Adderall. BUT, I can't even describe how small that effects my life compared to accidently getting dependent on benzos like Klonopin trying to finish highschool.

Didn't know about tremor alternatives; been dependent on clonazepam for 15 years at 1mg/day for anxiety and sleep; my pain doc upped the dose upon my developing essential tremor. Exercise and trying to avoid aggravating my neck by doing things like looking up; and keeping it iced, seem to help. And now my attempt to wean off the benzo. 1mg to 3mg back to 1mg per day. Wellbutrin affects my ability to sleep so I reckon adderall would be all the worse. Does benztropine make you sleepy? My memory is kinda messed up either from years of weed; but stopped; or from occipital headache and brain fog from my neck.

Bupropion has several active metabolites and thus virtually crazy half-life.

I have heard IR amphetamine doesn't really keep awake that bad if you stop dosing by early afternoon. There are significant differences between people tho; some can sleep well even if it's still kicking, better than on caffeine.

If you are fully tolerant to the klonopin the adderall should work fine, more or less.

In a larger sense though, benzos overpower and mute all drugs.

It never really occurred to me how bad my ADD is. The Adderall like clears out all the white noise to where I can think. I always thought that meth and Adderall were alike but the only resemblance is that they hype you up. Adderall just helps me think correctly. And all those yrs waisted on gabapentin overdoing it just to know there was something out there that would help me.

Benztropine could definitely impair your memory and focus. It is a anticholinergic like if you take too many benadyrl and have trouble focusing and remembering because it's also an anti cholinergic (at high doses).

Plus I don't know if it would help your anxiety and it can increase heart rate.

Benzos (not benztropine!) shouldn't interfere with therapeutic amphetamines, they will rather soften out the rough edges of them (like rebound). But they can and do interfere with cognition, and as you'll know are heavily addictive so you may want to limit yourself to the lowest dosage possible.

Bupropion has several active metabolites and thus virtually crazy half-life
Bupropion is crap IMO which is wrongly labelled as a NDRI, in men it's a pure NRI because of extensive first pass metabolism. When you can get amphetamines you're much better off.

My doc started me on Adderall for my ADD impulsive type. I’m just curious. Does klonopin cancel out Adderall. I’m prescribed 3 mg a day of klonopin and 20 mg IR OF Adderall in the morning. I want to do things correctly. Just get my life in order and go to college.

From my perspective I don’t think it will but you have to put into account I don’t take my 3 mg rather I take about a 1.5 a day of klonopin. I just don’t want to cancel out my Adderall for 1 mg of klonopin.
Get off Clonzapam. It will take you like a year…unless you have it for ceasuresa. I was on for about 8 months starting at 0.75mg day and up to 1,5. Tolerance with this drig goes up and started causing anxiety. That said I’m also an alcoholic and this was an approach to sobriety as the drugs plug into the same receptors. But I said I want to be sober and get off these (not that they messed me up) but I don’t want to be dependent. These are the most addictive drugs (Clonzapam and Xanax). Went down 25% to start getting off and all hell broke loose. I was in withdrawal for a month. So I switched to Valium on an equal dose, which according to ‘medical science’ is much easier. Now I am on a 1 mg/ month taper and still get all good edgy and sensitive with some abnormal emotions like crying watching a movie…which isn’t normal. So unless you don’t have an option, get off those. Withdrawal effects can last for years if you are on for years.
So, also yes Clonzapam def effects adderall. I’ll take one once in a while for a party/concert or work, but it definitely cuts it down a lot. Don’t drink grapefruit juice or take Tagamet as it greatly potentiates those drugs through cyp 450 3A4 (Clonzapam) and 2d6. It makes it all last longer and stronger. I drink a lot of juice since I stopped drinking. And I gravitated to grapefruit mixed with other things. This fucked everything, as it just builds in your system in a bad way. And when you stop grapefruit you go down and life sucks. So not something to play with. But it does work esp w adderall.

But it’s a double edged sword. You would just have them build up and they are long acting (especially the Clonzapam). But if you need to get shit done take less benzo and let the adderall do it’s thing. Half life of Clonzapam is like 30 hours so you would have plenty in your system to meet your needs but not contradict adderall.
Both are highly addictive. But I’d get off the benzos. They give you those to get you off other drugs, but there is nothing to get you off benzos except pain and time. I speak from experience.

Get off Clonzapam. It will take you like a year…unless you have it for ceasuresa. I was on for about 8 months starting at 0.75mg day and up to 1,5. Tolerance with this drig goes up and started causing anxiety. That said I’m also an alcoholic and this was an approach to sobriety as the drugs plug into the same receptors. But I said I want to be sober and get off these (not that they messed me up) but I don’t want to be dependent. These are the most addictive drugs (Clonzapam and Xanax). Went down 25% to start getting off and all hell broke loose. I was in withdrawal for a month. So I switched to Valium on an equal dose, which according to ‘medical science’ is much easier. Now I am on a 1 mg/ month taper and still get all good edgy and sensitive with some abnormal emotions like crying watching a movie…which isn’t normal. So unless you don’t have an option, get off those. Withdrawal effects can last for years if you are on for years.
So, also yes Clonzapam def effects adderall. I’ll take one once in a while for a party/concert or work, but it definitely cuts it down a lot. Don’t drink grapefruit juice or take Tagamet as it greatly potentiates those drugs through cyp 450 3A4 (Clonzapam) and 2d6. It makes it all last longer and stronger. I drink a lot of juice since I stopped drinking. And I gravitated to grapefruit mixed with other things. This fucked everything, as it just builds in your system in a bad way. And when you stop grapefruit you go down and life sucks. So not something to play with. But it does work esp w adderall.

But it’s a double edged sword. You would just have them build up and they are long acting (especially the Clonzapam). But if you need to get shit done take less benzo and let the adderall do it’s thing. Half life of Clonzapam is like 30 hours so you would have plenty in your system to meet your needs but not contradict adderall.
Both are highly addictive. But I’d get off the benzos. They give you those to get you off other drugs, but there is nothing to get you off benzos except pain and time. I speak from experience.
Tolerance doesn't always go up. I'm on less now then I was 15 years ago.
The enzyme action you mention isn't enough to even notice .
Some people need benzos so stop trying to tell people they are the most addictive drug ever because they're not.

Ssometimes especially that I have pregabalin I can take it or leave it.

2017 I was yanked off 3 mg of klonopin, you would have to invent new words to describe this horrible experience!

It's an oversimplification, but the age-old classification of "uppers" and "downers" makes sense to most people who use these drugs themselves. This one makes you tired and this one wakes you up. I think this is an easy way for people to categorize and begin to understand these different drugs, but we know that it's a lot more complicated than that.

The right combination of different medications with seemingly antagonistic effects can give you "the best of both worlds" in some cases, but the more ingredients you add to the mix often leads to a greater level of unpredictability. In short, it's easier for me to say how taking 20mg Amphetamine per day might affect any given person. If you ask me to predict how 20mg Amphetamine + 3mg Clonazepam (Klonopin) and who knows, maybe a few Alcoholic drinks (I'm just using this for demonstrative purposes, I don't know if you drink or not), things can become more difficult to anticipate. Even more so, how do you know how these things will effect you 10 years from now. It's hard to yell.

I'm only saying this because you mention starting anew and wanting to do things right. I've been with you for years dude and we've seen each others' posts. We've both been through ups and downs. I don't want to scare you, but I also feel like I wouldn't be doing the right thing not to throw these things out there.

I'm not totally aware of your situation. I'm not totally sure why you're on Benzodiazepines. I have a genuine worry that you will have to fight that Benzodiazepine beast for good at some point and that it typically gets harder and harder to beat as time goes on. It's widely flaunted by what I consider to be unscrupulous doctors, but these drugs are not chronic treatments for anxiety. They are not suited for this. It's not a matter of debate or opinion. Benzodiazepines, taken daily, in dosages like 3mg per day, often lead to a heavy dependence.

I would hate to see you start this new life and develop issues down the road. I know it can be a really difficult decision. I feel that folks who take Benzodiazepines for years more often face serious consequences than not.

To answer the question, it's not as if the Amphetamine will be neutralized by the Benzodiazepines. If you're accustomed to that dosage of Clonazepam and tolerant to its effects, I think you will still experience all of the expected effects of a stimulant like Amphetamine. For the record, it seems that Amphetamine at recommended dosages seems to be pretty well-tolerated.

I get it Keif. I was yanked off 3 mg a day in 2017 so I know the sheer hell of withdrawals, thank God I don’t drink.

The pregabalin slows that much klonopin down and I know how to wean while gritting thru it all, painful but possible.

It’s when you abuse your doctor and take advantage and then end up losing everything only to have to start over and that part I learned.

My doctor has been a psychiatrist for 50 yrs. He told me benzo where made to be taken daily. The DEA is who shut them down and forced ppl into shock, which I turn caused a lot of problems, but also you have to respect the medication. I hate the way benzos make me feel.

The new norm which my doctor is a dying breed will do anything or even lie to you to keep from prescribing to ppl who have Comorbid disorders like OCD and PTSD that leave them totally and utterly disable. Someone with no leg and have nothing to hold them up has it better than that.

I was just honest w him, I’m very very apathetic all the time which I turn caused me to abused my Lyrica cuz it gave me energy but is that really the answer. I avoided Adderall and drugs like it because I have a past drug habit of meth. But they are two totally different beasts. The Adderall I can take as prescribed and it be enough. Meth I just waste money and want more, plus it’s nasty ass chemicals which who in the hell knows what’s in that shit.

Just my perspective that’s all and I thank you for your knowledge. I know when I’m finally going to have to come off klonopin again I will do it the right way. I plan on already starting here soon while I can so I can store some up and kinda be ahead of the curve.

Im finally at .75mg/day after a few years at 3mgs/day. Thankfully no problems so far. I also abused lyrica for energy and paid thru the nose for it. Little did I know gabapentin does almost the same thing. 6 weeks from now I am dropping to .5mg/day. Slow and steady, I guess. at least doing well so far with no withdrawal to feel so far....

I could not see in this thread exactly why OP was taking Klonopin.

However, here in Australia, it is not uncommon for psychiatrists to prescribe patients with co-morbid ADHD and anxiety or sleep disorders a daily stimulant with nightly Clonidine.

This especially true for bi-polar patients who cannot risk taking an SSRI for anxiety disorders.

Clonidine alone is a second line ADHD treatment for people unable to tolerate stimulants but has a whole bunch of potential uses.

Most psychiatrists also would prescribe diazeapam on a p.r.n basis with no-repeat script giving 50 x 5 mg diazepam to last 6 months as well.

my ex wife tends to have some panic attacks. She gets xanax, every six months, 30 tabs of .25mgs. I would probably eat them all in one sitting, but she uses them as prescribed.
She also drinks wine to cover her day to day anxiety. Works a charm that alcohol

I shudder everytime I think of wine + xanax. If my own experience of suddeny totalling a very expensive piece of German automotive excellence miles from home in my pyjamas after I’d gone to sleep wasn’t enough - there are a hundred benzo + alcohol horror stories on BL.

As a harm reduction forum we pretty much always have to say: “please think very very carefully about this combination”…whether someone is taking it for anxiety or just for shits and giggles.