• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and horrible mouth sores

LaurenfromMI

Greenlighter
This last time I took it, my mouth broke out with EIGHT canker sores. They are all along my tongue on both sides and inside my lower and upper lips. It have gotten one or two, but this time was the worst. I think it might be because of not sleeping or eating much and immune system goes to shit...but I have never heard of anyone having this problem. It is so painful you can't imagine...then when I finally eat I hurts so bad...sometimes it hurts to even drink anything. Then after a few nights sleep they go away. Weird!! Has anyone else had this?

Last edited:
Did you accidentally bite the insides of your mouth whilst grinding? That, plus the stress your body was under plus malnutrition and immune system effects was probably behind it. Eight sounds like a lot though!

Sometimes the roof of my mouth gets really irritated when I take adderall or almost any stimulant. It especially hurts when I finally eat something. Idk why, but it seems to last for the rest of the day til I can finally get some sleep. Probably dehydration.

canker sores are usually caused by physical damage to the mucosal surfaces, and are more common in times of stress. i would say that adderall predisposes you to both!

im curious as to why magnesium would help?

All the herpes viruses can cause an outbreak after stress (and canker sores are a herpes virus). I'm more likely to think you did some kind of weird grinding or lip-biting nervous twitch though.

canker sores are not caused by herpes. its likely t-cell mediated. you are thinking of cold sores.

Yeah, they don't even look like what you would think a canker sore would look like...they are painful bumps on the tongue, but typical looking if they are inside the lips...doctor said cankers though. The whole thing is to get enough sleep because when I do they go away! Yeah, why would magnesium help? I got some of that in a drink supplement. I should try drinking that if they start to break out.

My mouth, as well as that of other people I know who use adderall, gets really dry and raw inside when I use adderall. I have never gotten a cold sore (yet) but it doesn't surprise me. My friend DID tell me yesterday that her tongue was all bumpy and that it hurt to eat/swallow. I don't think any of this is uncommon.

Whats up fellow detroiter. Magnesium helps the jaw clenching. Therefore making you bite the inside of your mouth less if that is whats happening.

Yeah, they don't even look like what you would think a canker sore would look like...they are painful bumps on the tongue, but typical looking if they are inside the lips...doctor said cankers though. The whole thing is to get enough sleep because when I do they go away! Yeah, why would magnesium help? I got some of that in a drink supplement. I should try drinking that if they start to break out.

Yeah I thought that too. When you stay up on Adderall for several days, you are going to have problems and this is a complication, like how AIDs doesn't kill you but will cause other bacteria to.

I know in my case, it is not the medication, or even a side effect of the medication, but the "inert" ingredients.

When I take the generic manufactured by Core Pharmaceuticals, I end up with horrible sores and bumps. I have no problems when I take the Barr or DuraMed products (they are the same company, Teva, but the Barr brand is for generic scrips, DuraMed for no substitute).

I would guess it has to do with the salts and by products, but I don't really care. I just know Core brand rips my mouth and tongue up, no problems with Barr.

adderral tongue bumps and manufacturers

I know in my case, it is not the medication, or even a side effect of the medication, but the "inert" ingredients.

When I take the generic manufactured by Core Pharmaceuticals, I end up with horrible sores and bumps. I have no problems when I take the Barr or DuraMed products (they are the same company, Teva, but the Barr brand is for generic scrips, DuraMed for no substitute).

I would guess it has to do with the salts and by products, but I don't really care. I just know Core brand rips my mouth and tongue up, no problems with Barr.

the 'core' could possibly have a higher ratio of L to D isomers compared to the barr. apart from that, maybe there is an artificial sweetener used in the 'core' or some other possible allergen that could trigger an immune response.

corepharma inactives:

lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, and pregelatinized starch.
Colors: Mixed Amphetamine Salts Tablets 20 mg and 30 mg contain D&C Red # 27 Aluminum Lake as a color additive.

barr inactives:

collodial silicon dioxide, compressible sugar, corn starch, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, and saccharin sodium.

the d&c red #27 aluminum sounds like it could be the culprit.

"About D&C RED 27: D&C Red 27 is a synthetic dye produced from petroleum or coal tar sources; this dye is FDA-approved for use in pharmaceuticals and cosmetics."

I've never gotten canker sours from Oraly ingesting Any stims, however, I have experienced this after smoking stimulants... One particularly unpleasant example was the first time I tried vaporizing MDPV (best drug ever btw). After 3 strait sleeples days of smoking that shit, only after the effects of the high faded, I discovered that my mouth was terrifyingly deformed. Cold sours covered the outer sides of my tongue, one nearly eating a hole clean through. My gums, littered with black spots, had been worn away, exposing the roots of my teeth. My teeth had discolored to a dark grey and felt as if the enamel had been striped. Even my lips and the tissue around them became suveraly chapped, then scabbing and bleeding the following day.

These Oral sideeffects and any similar sideeffcts caused from smoking/vaporizing stimulants are sometimes informaly refered to as "meth mouth". These oral decay effects are the product of a combination of factors, including: dryness of the mouth due to the lack of salivation, Natural acidic properties of the chemical being used; a common property of most stimulants, and of course- the possible decline of oral hygiene; commonly exhibited by regular stimulant users.

If ever you find yourself facing these unpleasant side effects, here are a few techniques that I use regularly when smoking/vaporizing stimulants:

*I have found that if properly exicuted, accopianing your use with these simple techniques may allow you to (if not avoid completely) significantly reduce the effects of oral decay and/or cold sore development.

1. Obviously, always try to maintain conscious awareness of your dental hygien needs.

2. As often as possible, gentaly suck on anything sweet, citrusy, or anything that stimulates you to salivate;This keeps moisture in the mouth. Also sip water throughout duration of your use; this will also add moister to the mouth but more importantly, keep your body hydrated (dehydration is a typical sideeffect caused by stimulants).

*note: citrus causes some individuals to become more susceptible to the development of cold sores.

3. i have found this to be the most effective method for avoiding both cold sores and oral decay: depending on the device you use to smoke/vaporize substances. Fashion any sort of tube or pathway that you will insert in the mouth slowing the substance to bypass the oral cavity( having no contact with tissue or teeth) and enter at the opening of the air way at he back of the throte. To successfully complete this process you must exhale noisily.

I noticed this also. A few months ago. I started carrying a GIANT water bottle to work with me. This alone with mints (gum causes me to bite my lip or tongue too often), brushing my teeth 3 times a day and sucking on ice cubes when possible, has kept the canker sores from coming. But even as i type this im tonguing on the inside of my lip

:) read: good luck stopping it

I can't believe no one has mentioned this. The absolute best cure for canker sores is to swirl a saturated warm solution of salt water around in your mouth for a couple minutes several times a day. All medications work half as well as a simple salt water rinse. I find this clears then up in 24-36 hours.

As said previously, the best prevention is to prevent the excessive teeth grinding, lip and tongue biting that comes with a stimulant binge. Magnesium should help with this, just experiment to find a dosage that doesn't give you the shits!

Getting good rest and eating a healthy diet may help as well.

I have had canker sores, before I started using any drugs whatsoever, and this did not do shit for me.

Whatever medicine the doctors gave me, it just made them worse, so I just had to suffer through them. :|

I seem not to suffer from them anymore, which is weird to say the least.

I always got sore bumpy lips and cheeks from adderal, but I think it was mostly just from me chewing on my lips and sucking on the inside of my cheek. I just started chewing gum all day whenever I took them and it helped.