• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Adderall Abuse Risks Becoming Another Opioid Crisis, DEA Says

Landrew

Bluelighter
(Bloomberg) -- The fast rise of prescriptions for Adderall and other stimulants, along with rampant online treatment and advertising, suggest the start of another drug crisis like the opioid epidemic, a senior Drug Enforcement Administration official said Thursday.

The warning is the most urgent public message yet on these types of drugs by the agency.

“I’m not trying to be a doomsday-er here,” said Matthew Strait, deputy assistant administrator in the diversion control division said in an online seminar. But he compared the current situation with stimulants to the beginning of the opioid crisis and said “it makes me feel like we’re at the precipice of our next drug crisis in the United States.”

The DEA’s position on stimulants will have a direct effect on how many are manufactured, pharmacies’ access to them and how patients get prescriptions.

Read More: Transcript: How The American Workforce Got Hooked on Adderall

Uh oh, looks like the abuse of these meds might end up like opiods. Those that need them, in many cases nope. I am getting sick of the government punishing innocent people because some, want to abuse something.

^ don’t even worry the DEA is on it
If they fuck this up like the opiate crisis and i’m forced to the street to buy cartel meth i’m going to be so fucking pissed.

They should make it over the counter and fix the supply chain.

Last edited:
Yeah lol, adderall is the problem, not the super potent but toxic crystal meth that's freaking everywhere, and even cheaper than weed in some places. It's TOTALLY the adderall that people are seeking to basically MAT themselves with, so they don't have to deal with the myriad problems that arise from street amphetamine use. 🙄

I mean sure, people are abusing it now just like they were 20 or 30 years ago, but the outcry over prescription uptick just looks like closing of an unsanctioned treatment pathway to me.

Kind of a mess. Innocent people will be harmed, no doubt, and I hope that what I say isn't too controversial. Just my opinions.

But I do think they should roll back legislation that came into effect during Covid so people have to see doctors in-person more. Maybe reform the ADHD diagnosis so it's not so liberal. Prohibit people who abuse it from getting another script for several months. Will this lead to more meth use? Probably in some cases. Nothing ideal about pragmatic legislation. The system does fail people. But it might do more good than harm. I'm not intimately aware of the statistics.

I agree that meth is the real problem, though. So much more potent, cheap, and long-lasting. Along with some misplaced sense of virtue in Capitalism.

The DEA needs a crisis to make sure they seem relevant especially in the face of new drug research and legalization and medicalization of psychedelics and empathogens

Just a bunch of clowns trying to keep their jobs

Ohhhh noooo! College kids are studying hard and construction workers are working overtime, let's crack down on addies!

The DEA is going to fuck this up so bad give it 5 or 10 years